How do you tell a Natural from a Synthetic supplement?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Aug 10, 2005.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

Guess I sure am behind times but have just been reading on the Natural vs Synthetic supplements..I have the Spring Valley supplements that say Natural now are these organic? I have been taking Centrum Vit. but found out they are synthetic..

Would someone please help me with this..How do I know a Natural from a Synthetic?

Thanks
  2. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I avoid them like plague, but i goofed recently and assumed Quest was natural becasue they sell at health stores.

My urine when that unnatural flourescent yellow, which i found odd because the naturals don't do that, more yellow yes, not flourescent. As days went on, my urethra was getting more irritated when i peed and was getting an unpleasant (new) smell.

That's how I always know. Plus they don't energize me. As soon as I switched to my old brand of cheapo, but effective Nature Made, that all stopped and my change in energy and alertness was dramatic.

Jeanne
  3. greatgran

greatgran Member

Interesting about the urine thing..I too have experinced that and thought I might be getting an infection..

I need some names of the Natural supplements if we are allowed to mention them here..Is the Spring Valley Natural,
    Natural?

Thanks
  4. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

Have been curious to know the difference myself!!

Think I will try the Nature Made Brand!!

Hugs
    Bluerose
  5. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

But how do you know when you are looking at them ? I don't think it tells you on the bottle .
  6. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

greatgran:
    I will usually ask in the health food-vitamin store when I am unfamiliar with a product, except at the store here at ProHealth. Those I seem to trust.
    NyroFan
  7. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

The ones that are, esp. if they are also organic, are more than happy to make sure you know it.

You can also look them up, they'll have the website on the container too, that's how I found out about Quest once and for all. They made me dig for it too, which was a bit of a clue, had to really search their Q & A, because the buggers were trying to evade actually admitting it.

I thought I was getting an infection too. The urine odour suggested something nasty was going on "down there". But it wasn't "there" that was the problem, it was my kidneys filtering out the byproducts of whatever crap they make the synthetics out of. Did you know synthetic vit. E is made from turpentine and others are from petrochemicals and just chemically altered, ack.

Jeanne
  8. Sbilek

Sbilek New Member

GreatGran, most of the vitamins in the stores, etc., are synthetic. Actually, I've heard that there are really only like seven or eight manufacturers of vitamins, and what you are buying is just those eight types packaged in different packages and sold under different names. I can't totally verify that, but that's what I've been told.

I do know that Standard Process and Systemic Formulas are definitely whole food supplements. I don't know personally of any other manufacturer of a whole food supplement, maybe someone else does. Of course if you are using herbs and the like, those are usually pretty natural, but your Centrum, definitely a synthetic vitamin.

Hope this helps you,

Sbilek
  9. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

a great way to get vitamins , minerals , and amino acids ,along with protein , is to take chlorella tablets .
    They are supposed to have everything you need and are actually a food .

I am just starting chlorella .