How do you tell if you might have MS not FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cmcm, Apr 11, 2003.

1. cmcm

cmcm New Member

I have done some reading on both FM and MS. They have so many over lapping symptoms. How can one put their mind at ease that it isn't MS? I have had alot of muscle weakness in the past two weeks. I can't even pick up a pot of water it feels like 50lbs. I can't stand for long periods afraid my legs are going to give out beneath me. I try lying in bed with a heating blanket on, but it makes me feel worse. I am also having this awful feeling in my arms. The only way I can explain it, is like the feeling you get when you are going to pass out, but it isn't starting at my head, it is basically in my arms down, arms being the worst. Does anyone experience these symptoms?? I called to get an appt with my PCP, but couldn't get one until the end of the month. Did not want to wait that long, so I see a PA on Monday. But I am stressed over these symptoms. Your thoughts and experiences would be greatly appreciated.
    Hugs,
    Cheryl
  2. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

Sorry to hear you are having a hard time with this. I can completely relate to the symptoms you are having. I was also tested for MS. There are several ways they can test for this. The most common is to have an MRI. They look for any lesions on the brain. They also use the lumbar puncture (spinal tap) to check for MS. There are other tests, also, but these two are the most common to begin with. I was stressed with my symptoms at first, too. Try to relax, if possible. Things only get worse with stress. Waiting for an appointment will not harm you if you get in relatively soon. By the way, I did not have MS. I have FMS and CFS. It's good that you are getting checked though, because tests are the only way to tell for sure if it's MS or not. Hang in there. Dave
  3. cmcm

cmcm New Member

Dave, thanks for trying to set my mind at ease. But I still worry about the weakness. As I have more weakness in my body than pain. I get some aches and pains here and there though none like most experience here. I also have alot more fatigue than pain. I just want to make sure I am given the right diagnosis. It does help me to know that you have had the same symptoms and it is related to the FM. Thanks again for taking the time to answer my post. Greatly appreciated.
    Cheryl