How Do You Track Your Water Intake??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TwinMa, Oct 25, 2005.

1. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

A person is supposed to drink half their body weight in oz plus 8 oz of water a day.

So a 120 lb person would drink 60 oz + 8 oz for a total of 68 oz. Since 1 oz equals 30mls, 68 oz would be 2040mls or approximately 2 liters.

How does everyone keep track of all that water we are supposed to drink? I’d love to hear your methods!

Thanks!
    Katy
  2. rosed2

rosed2 New Member

my water with a brita pitcher. I have saved some 16 ounce water bottles and I fill them up and carry one with me at all times and also its an easy way to keep track.

Rosed2
  3. beth0818

beth0818 New Member

I HAVE 2 DIFERENT WATER JUGS THAT A BRING TO WORK. DEPENDING ON WHICH JUB I BRING, I KNOW I NEED TO DRINK A CERTAIN NUMBER OF JUGS A DAY TO GET THE WATER RECCOMMENDED. MY FAVORITE IS A HUGE MUG FROM WAL-MART WITH A STRAW AND IT HOLDS AROUND 4 CUPS!
  4. dunnlb

dunnlb New Member

Unless you have something unusually wrong, your body will normally let you know when you need water by the sense of thirst. I don't think forcing extra water helps anything.
  5. libra55

libra55 New Member

that by the time you are thirsty, you are already slightly dehydrated. So, I think drinking the water keeps us ahead of the game. I've been hospitalized for dehydration a couple of times (I have FM and Crohn's in addition) and I hope never to go there again, so I carry around water with me at all times. My husband buys the bottled water by the case at BJs. I don't pay too much attention but I try to drink at least 6 of them per day. They are 16.9 oz. I don't know what the formula is for my body weight (I am heavy) but I don't ever feel dehydrated. On hot days I will drink more than that, and also if I am exercising or busier than most days.

I also drink juices (orange and cranberry) so that adds to my fluid intake.

My daughter's cross-country running coach tells them to "drink till they pee clear".

Hope this helps.

Michelle
    [This Message was Edited on 10/25/2005]
  6. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I do agree that much of our water comes from the food we eat. I think keeping hydrated is important on many levels. Keeping the bowels moving is one reason.

I think the 2 liter amount for a 120 pound person is probably overkill. I just keep refilling my water bottle and drink all day.

Thanks for your input!

Katy
  7. browneyes259

browneyes259 New Member

I carry around, and refill from my home pourified water each night, two disposable 2 L bottles.

It's the easiest way for me to keep track......and I try to finish at least those 2 bottles each day.

Hugs,
    Jen
  8. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I put 64oz in the fridge at night when I go to bed (I have 2 neat 32oz containers) and I drink them during the day. I always bring a bottle of water with me when I leave the house. When my 64 oz are gone, I know I've done my good deed for the day. Some days it's quite difficult.
    Tigger
  9. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I have a small refrigerator in here and it is filled with bottled water and diet soft drinks.

I had water after dinner and that was a glass. I'll probably drink 3 or 4 bottles of water tonight. Yeah, I'm up every few hours using the bathroom, but I just love the taste of cold water.

It is rare that I don't have something to drink when I'm home. I'm always drinking something and I think that may be a habit from when I quit smoking in 1986. You know, hand to mouth habit...

Hugs,
    Faye
  10. JLH

JLH New Member

I don't keep track of it.

I don't pay attention to what "a person is supposed to drink".

I drink what I want to, when I feel thirsty.

Water is my drink of choice, after my morning coffee, of course! Then, I only drink 2 cups of decaf.

I can't drink anything with caffeine because of all of my heart problems. I can't drink anything with sugar in it because I am a diabetic. So, that eliminates about everything except water!!

I'm like Faye, I just love the taste of really cold water ... so I keep plenty of bottles in the fridge!!

Janet
  11. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Katy:
    I buy huge cases of Poland Spring Water in the half liter size, so it is easy to see how much I am putting in my system. I believe I put in more than is suggested, but the meds make my mouth dry, so I always have a bottle of water with me.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  12. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

and its light in color than I know I'm drinking enough. I also drink water when I'm feeling hungry and its not meal time.

The only juice I drink is unsweetened grapefruit juice.
    2 cups of coffee in the morning and next a protein shake.
    I just got a cool personal blender at K-Mart made by Hamilton Beach I paid $16 for it and I love it!lol
    Dee50
    [This Message was Edited on 10/26/2005]
  13. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Lots of interesting viewpoints on water! Some very good ways to see how much water you are drinking, too.

I copied the list below from a holistic website. Doesn't seem too radical and has some good tips:

• try water hot, maybe with freshly sliced ginger, for a refreshing drink that improves your circulation. Add honey & lemon to make it even tastier & boost your immunity.

• the closer to body temperature water is, the easier your body takes it where it needs to go. Very cold water can over-stimulate the kidneys.

• try different bottled or filtered waters until you find one you like. You'll be a connoisseur before you know it!

• drink at least an extra pint if it is hot or you are doing physical work or exercise.

• if you do drink tea, coffee, alcohol or fizzy pop, match glass for glass with extra water over the R.D.A.

• spread your water intake out throughout the day & drink most of your quota before 6p.m.

• drink a glass of water as soon as you get up to rehydrate from overnight & get your engine going.

• drinking a mug of hot water with lemon before breakfast to help cleanse your system. This counts towards your daily requirement.

• every time you put the kettle on or someone offers you a drink, ask for hot water or a herbal tea.

• if you drink a glass of water half an hour before every meal it dampens your appetite, & helps prevent you drinking with your meal which can decrease absorption of nutrients.

Katy
    [This Message was Edited on 10/26/2005]
  14. Momma25gr8kids

Momma25gr8kids New Member

When I quit drinking soda and juices I drank ALOT of water and didn't really keep track. After about a month I started having dizzy spells and near black-outs. Hubby made me go to the Dr. and we figured out I had been drinking about 190 oz. a day! You can overdose on water.

Now I drink 16oz. five times a day. When I wake, breakfast, lunch, dinner, and before bed.
  15. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I keep a smallish piece of paper attached to the front of my refrigerator with a magnet. I put the dates along the left side. Every time I drink water, I note the quantity next to the current date.
  16. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Kate,

Wow!! That is quite a system! You did a fantastic job of explaining it. I can see how that would be a great way to keep track of everything.

I've been trying to figure out how to keep track of what I eat as well as what I drink. It seems like a lot of work to write down every single thing that goes in your mouth. But I also like the idea of being accountable.

I do graze a fair bit. Do you write down "1 pretzel, 2pm", "2 more pretzels, 3pm", etc? Or do you try to estimate food in ounces? Do you look at what you have eaten weekly and evaluate? Do you also keep track of how you feel on the same "food diary"? Sorry for all the questions, I've just been wanting to do this for awhile and haven't figured out how to go about it!

Thanks so much for the idea! I think I'll just start writing!

Katy
  17. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Kate,

Thank you so much for the incredible food diary info! I have been wanting to do this forever, and just couldn't get myself to do it. Well, now I am going to do it! You've motivated me!

I will be keeping track more for information about how I feel in relation to what I have eaten. I have never had a problem with weight, so that isn't much of an issue for me. I'm one of those lucky ones who can pretty much eat anything and not gain weight. Just good genes, I guess! Although now that I've hit menopause, I've put on a few pounds, but I'm still pretty slim.

BTW, I like your screen name. A few of my close friends call me Kate, and my maiden name began with Mac! I even worked with a guy (before I got married) who called me KatyMac! Small coincidinces!

Also wanted to say I'm thrilled about your pregnancy and your little baby boy--love the ultrasound picture. I have twin daughters (11yo) and I can assure you, it will change your life--in a very good way! I was just showing my girls their ultrasound pictures and they loved it. Make sure you make copies of the ultrasound, even xerox copies, because the actual original will start to brown out and get brittle with time.

I'll be starting that food diary this weekend. It will be interesting to track what I eat vs how I feel.

Thanks for all your input!

Katy
  18. abbylee

abbylee New Member

I rarely drink any that is not mixed with tea or coffee. I also drink juice for potassium (sp) loss from the Lasix.

abbylee