How do you wash fruit and vegetables properly?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Michelle_NZ, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

Hi folks

I was wondering how to wash fruit and veges properly to remove the pesticide residues.

I cant seem to find a vege wash product in the eco stores here in New Zealand.

I've been scrubbing them with a brush under water, but I was wondering if that is good enough.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks and take care
    Michelle
  2. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

3. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

4. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

Hi, I just found this - quite interesting, long, but you can skim to the end where the results of the study are summarised.

http://www.caes.state.ct.us/FactSheetFiles/AnalyticalChemistry/fsac003f.htm

Still keen to know what other people do to wash their produce.

Cheers
    Michelle
  5. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Michelle, I've done various things at various times but usually I use a little squirt of antibacterial dishsoap in a lot of warm water, scrub the fruits and veggies well, then rinse. I've also used a bit of bleach in water.

The washing product you buy in the stores is sooo expensive and I can't believe the above methods aren't as good. Just rinse very well.

With things like spinach leaves and lettuces, it's harder. I just swish in water with bleach, rinse very well, dry and pray.

Marta
  6. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

in the newspaper that stated: "food safety experts say that thoroughly washing lettuce and leafy greens can remove 90% of E.Coli and other bacteria, and 99% if diluted vinegar is used". So, vinegar is apparently also helpful and probably as useful as those expensive products sold for the purpose. I've also heard of using a solution involving hydrogen peroxide.

Of course, 99% may not be good enough if E. coli is suspected...but boiling (or otherwise cooking) kills ALL germs. (not that you'd want to boil lettuce!)
  7. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

I dont really like the idea of using soap or Hydrogen Peroxide (isnt that what they bleach hair with??)

I'm going to go with a good scrub and soak in water with some apple cider vinegar.

Thanks
    Michelle
  8. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Of course.

Vinegar is the wonder ...... thing.

I also use it instead of fabric softener. I wash my floors with some in water. I used to use it as a hair rinse. Some people drink it in water. You know, most really good and diverse things are natural, aren't they?

I'm switching to vinegar for washing veggies and fruit. Thanks for the tip!

Marta