How do you work and eat healthy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jmq, Feb 24, 2007.

1. jmq

jmq New Member

I know I need to change my eating habits. I just gained 10 lbs in one month and choleserol is way up. I know what is causing it..I am a junk food junkie and I can barely do what I MUST do..never mind any type of exercise. I do not have the energy to cook..and very little spare time..I have an 11 year old who I have to do homework, afterschool activites etc. so I consider a good meal a spoon I always give up. Does any full time workers and moms have any suggestions. I am not only worried about me...I am being a terrible example for my daughter.

Guilty as usual,
    jmq
  2. ravenpaige

ravenpaige New Member

I'm not sure if I have all the answers, but I work full-time and am a single mom of two (basically have been single all their lives, since their father and I divorced when they were very young--they're now 15 and 17). But here are a few suggestions:

Essential tools: crock pot, freezer, sharp knives (a food processor is nice but not essential).

Planning is key. Meat and sauce put in the crockpot before work can cook all day and be ready for dinner in the evening. Extra servings can be made then or on the weekends and then frozen to be heated up quickly later. Some items, like individually frozen fish, can be cooked pretty quickly in the microwave. So basically, plan your meals ahead and do whatever pre-prep you can do in the evenings or on weekends.

Change your views of a meal. This is a hard one for most people, because we are raised thinking of meat, potatoes, veggie, maybe salad, bread, dessert--that's a meal. But if you can start planning a meal by thinking about the healthiest parts, then sometimes a meal is easier to pull together. For example, many times we eat just a nice salad, with some meat or fish (tuna) or maybe just cheese or some garbanzo beans on top. Maybe a roll on the side. Other times we will have two or three vegetables, with some fresh fruit for dessert. Maybe we will have no main meat dish, but I'll add bacon or almonds to green beans.

If your daughter is 11, she may also be able to help you prepare the dinner, such as cutting up veggies or putting together the salad. This can help her learn and also give you some together time.

It certainly isn't easy to do everything you do, so you shouldn't feel guilty about it. Hopefully, some of these suggestions will help a bit.
  3. Shalala

Shalala New Member

I am alone so I am eating a lot of frozen single serving stuff ... not good but since I have such a hard time doing dishes I have gone the easy route. Soup out of the can ... ravioli, etc. I am trying to eat more cereal and oatmeal (which is probably better for me than a micro-meal). Who knows how those additives affect us (frozen & canned food).

I know it hurts to walk, but you can get some of your exercise in by parking out further and walking (I use a cane so I am not able to that anymore but I used to).

The PT gave me strips of elastic to exercise with. I can use them sitting and also over the door to do some exercise.

Light weights for arm exercises while you are sityying or helping child with homework. Squeezing balls can be done also. Strap on leg weights too.

I had CFS and the onset of this FMS when my son was 12 or so.
    Gosh I know it is tough to "do it all". (((( Hugs ))))
    My child would not help me out in anyway and still won't (he will be 23).
  4. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

you can get smaller ones to use & they are really handy. I also can not live without my rice steamer. I cook barley in it too.

Can you & your daughter do a walk each night after dinner?

Maybe talk to her teacher--maybe some math lessons can be
    done in the kitchen.

I also make "breakfast burritoes at home too--wraps, scrambed eggs, chesse, tomoatoes, onions. And, apple burritoes make a good snack or dessert too

[This Message was Edited on 02/25/2007]
  5. jmq

jmq New Member

Thank you all for the great advice. ESPECIALLY the reciepes and specific food tips. Now I am hungry. I was never a great cook...just basic stuff...so its hard for me to be creative. I am going out to buy a crock pot and some veggies...Its the planning and preparation that I have to spare a couple of spoons for.

beadlady: As far as walking...can barely stand most days after work..never mind walk. When I told my 11 year old about this great web site. She said " Ask them how you can get better and ride your bike with me again". My heart broke :-( She really misses the "other" mom I use to be. She is a sweetie and does help as much as possible.

jmq
  6. ravenpaige

ravenpaige New Member

When you get your crockpot, consider throwing together soups in the morning to cook all day. This can be as easy as some broth, veggies and a few pieces of leftover meat (ham, pork, chicken, whatever). Soups are great for the winter. I use soups as my winter staple, and salads as my summer staple. And homemade soups are wonderful! Not at all like canned.

Good luck! It's not easy getting started, but believe me, once you get the hang of it, it can be wonderful for both body and soul!
  7. teacher

teacher New Member

go to the library and look in the children's section for cookbooks. They are a WHOLE lot different from when we were young.

Not only do they offer healthy recipes, they are EASY, and don't require many ingredients.

This will allow you to cook simply,easily and involve your daughter in the process. You may not be able to ride bikes with her anymore, but you can still be together.

Happy cooking!