How does Klonopin help FM/CFS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Pinky, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Pinky

Pinky New Member

Thanx for all your help and support- this site has been a godsend! You all have been there for me since I have been diagnosed with FM/CFS 2 years ago. I know I have repeated myself a thousand times and have asked the same ?'s over and over, but my brain just doesn't seem to work right, and you have always come thru and responded to my ?'s and concerns and fears sympathetically and I just want to THANK-YOU all for that. Again, another ?- How does Klonopin help FM/CFS? And are there any major side effects? Anyone have good results with B-12 shots helping with fatigue and/or energy?
    Love and "soft hugs" to all!
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I don't think we've "spoken" so I want to welcome you to our board.

I want to ask you to do something which will help you understand the Klonopin connection. Go to the library and do a search on Dr. Paul Cheney. It will bring up a list of his articles. Read the one on Klonopin. He does such a good job of explaining how it works for our poor old brains. He's an expert on CFIDS, but a lot of his work applies to FMS as well.

Basically, we are in a constant slight state of seizure with our neurons overfiring and misfiring. Klonopin stops this overfiring and misfiring and brings our brains around to the "normal" state. This allows us to slide more easily into the slight coma state needed for quality sleep. Klonopin also addresses anxiety/panic attacks, RLS, sensory overload, and tinnitus.

Klonopin is one of my most important treatments.

Love, Mikie
  3. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

I take Klonopin for anxiety. I guess that can help with Fibro because the less anxious you are the better you feel alltogether. It also may help you get a good nights sleep. Hope it works for you.

Maria
  4. layinglow

layinglow New Member

Hi Pinky---
    Klonopin has been a real godsend for me. It helps with many symptoms I experience. Since beginning klonopin, my restless leg syndrome has become non-existent. I have much less brain racing when going to sleep, and my wake ups during the night have decreased from 15-20 to 1 or 2 per nite. It also aids me in sensory overload, which was terribly debilitating. Additionally nerve pain has been reduced.
    Hope this has helped--
    LL
  5. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

But before I had a chance to even take my first dose, my neuro called and said NO he didnt want me on that med. He wanted me on neurontin instead.