How does seeing a psychiatrist help you with the SSD??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by keke466, Aug 25, 2006.

1. keke466

keke466 New Member

Ok I've seen that quite a few have gone to them and said they help with the SSD process but tell me how. I mean if I'm going to one and we talk about the past,present and how to deal with it what has that got to do with getting benefits? How can what they say in their report about my past and learning to cope and the present and future help? Is this making sense? Over the yrs. I've always thought I should have seen one or someone due to problems with growing up and Mom,etc. but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I just suffered thru and kept talking to myself and thought I could work it out on my own.

I mostly kept things to myself and listened to everyone else's problems and gave them advice and tried to help them out. I learned to let some things go cause they would never change. So just how does going over all that crap help with this?

Keke
  2. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

When applying for disability benefits, you need to meet their rating criteria to be considered 'disabled'...

Most with CFIDS and/or FMS (like myself) do not meet the criteria so in my case, my lawyer asked for a psych eval, hoping the expert opinion would be what they were looking for...

I await my hearing next month to PROVE my case...In the meantime, the psych report added substance to my case and met their standards for rating criteria...

Hope this helps a bit...I'm sure others will come along and explain some more...

Peaceful days ahead~Alicia
  3. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Depression/anxiety is a serious thing. In order to be correctly diagnosed, one must see a psychiatrist, in some instances a psychologist, when applying for SSD.

More than likely, one will be put on medication for depression/anxiety and everyone has different results from taking the medications.

I'm not sure how much you know or have read about depression but it affects many people in many ways. If you look it up and see the symptoms, that will probably explain the difficulty of maintaining gainful employment according to SSD.

I only know this because of this board and reading other materials.

I hope this helps you,

BlueSky555
  4. mrdad

mrdad New Member

In my case it probably didn't have any thing much to do
    with my winning my case as the Doc seemed to find me "Normal" and
    that is exactly what I wanted to project to her! I wasn't
    claiming any Psychological problems at all, no snow jobs
    just an honest presentation on my part that added cred-
    ibility to my other physical claims!

Most people are sent for an evaluation especially if one
    complains about cognitive problems etc.