How does Tramadol compare to Lortab?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by claudiaw, Apr 20, 2007.

1. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I take 7.5mg/500mg Lortab and it doesn't do much for the pain.

i was thinking about Tramadol, what do you think?

Anyone know of a site that list's pain med's in order of strength.

Everytime I try to look up pain med's, I just gey site's on addication!

thanks in advance,
    Claudia

i'm still waiting on a pain clinic referal from GP, don't know if it's going to vere happen.
  2. irishprincess

irishprincess New Member

if you are anything like me if lortab didn't work tramadol won'r, however there are lots out there that would swear by tramadol. for me it doesn't even touch it..irish
  3. momwinterwhite

momwinterwhite New Member

Hey I had lyme disease the pain was like the worst fibro
    flare ever but the tramadol took the edge of .its worth a try. Good luck. Momwinterwhite
  4. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

Tramadol is a non -streiodal anti-inflamitory. It is not a fast acting medication. You need to take it for about a month I was told when my PPO doctor wanted to put me on it.
    It does help some people quite well. But for me it did nothing and was a total waste of money and all the time I was in pain.

LOrtab is a pain medicatation that is hydrocodone a synethic codine. It will work for pain and I have taken it and it helped me for a while. It comes in sevreal different stregnths. Everything from a 2.5 mg to a 10 mg.

I know this because I worked for a dentist and had to write the scripts out for him , So I learned what it was that I was writing for the patient . I had been asked sevreal times to tell a patient what it was and how well it worked. I have to clarify that as I don't want any one to get the wrong idea about me just because I know what the doseages are for most pain medications.

I would stick with the lortabs maybe ask your doctor for one that is a bit stronger. OR ask him if it comes in a stonger dose than you are on right now. It does not look good for you to ask your doctor to up your pain meds. They don't like it when you have knowledge.

LIke I said stick with the lortabs as they really are a pain medication.
    Thinks
    Rosemarie
  5. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

appreciate your help.

claudia
  6. sueliza

sueliza New Member

I copied some info below for you about ultram (tramadol) The Lortab you are on should be a lot stronger than the ultram, but maybe you could add ultram.

This medication is used to relieve moderate pain. It is similar to narcotic pain medications. It works on certain nerves in the brain that control how you experience pain.

Tramadol is an effective pain reliever (analgesic). Its mode of action resembles that of narcotics, but it has significantly less potential for abuse and addiction than the narcotics.

Tramadol is as effective as narcotics in relieving pain but does not depress respiration, a side effect of most narcotics.

Tramadol is not a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID), and does not have the increased risk of stomach ulceration and internal bleeding that can occur with the use of NSAIDs.

If Ultram is taken with certain other drugs, the effects of either could be increased, decreased, or altered. It is especially important to check with your doctor before combining Ultram with the following:

Cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril)
    Drugs known as MAO inhibitors, including the antidepressants Nardil and Parnate
    Serotonin-boosting antidepressants such as Paxil, Prozac, and Zoloft
    "Tricyclic" antidepressants such as Elavil, Norpramin, and Tofranil
    Major tranquilizers such as Thorazine and Stelazine
    Narcotic pain relievers (Demerol, morphine, Darvon, Percocet)
    Promethazine (Mepergan, Phenergan)
    Quinidine (Quinidex)
    Sleeping pills (Halcion, Dalmane, Restoril)
    Tranquilizers (Valium, Xanax)

Hope you can get in with the pain clinic and they can help manage the pain!