How Effective Are Electric Blankets (If At All)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by NyroFan, Oct 24, 2006.

1. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Hello all:

I have been contemplating buying an electric blanket.
    Since my heating pad helps so much I thought putting a blanket over me may work on my ribs, front neck area, etc.

Anyone have any experience with the blankets or know the best kind to get if you have one??

nyrofan
  2. emttoni

emttoni New Member

DH finally convinced me that I needed one. I think it was becasue he was tired of paying the high electric bill from me getting in the showere 3 & 4 times a night from my legs and feet being cold!

Now I dont know how I lived 46 years without one! I turn it on about 1 hour before I go to bed and leave it on all night. DH decided to snuggle the other night and that lasted about 1 minute cause I have my side set to 9! He said I felt like a corndog! He only turns his on in the am when its coldest outside.

As I am in a flare that just wont quit or give an inch I cant say that it has helped with the pain yet but it does keep the tootsies warm!

Warm hugs!

~Toni~
  3. Susi-di

Susi-di New Member

I finally bought an electric warming blanket by Chattam & Wells, and it is wonderful. It helps to relieve my pain from FM especially in my knees and it just feels toasty warm getting under the covers. I also bought a twin size for my queen size so my husband doesn't get too warm. I would definitely give it a try and the Chattam & Wells warming blanket is of nice quality material with very thin barely noticeable wires. Good luck. Susi-di
  4. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

I was going to ask the same question. Doesn't that sound soooooooo good right now? I am sooooo cold!

I'm getting one tonight!

Warm Hugs :)
    Kim
  5. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

yes...
    I think now I am convinced to get one. I am a stomach sleeper, so all I can think of is that warmth on my back.

ettoni: sorry you are in such a flare.

I hope everyone is as well as possible today. The weather seems so crazy in all parts of the country.

nyrofan
  6. gnanny

gnanny New Member

Use it even in the summer. I dont need to get warmer but it feels so soothing on my achey body. A life saver in the winter!

I would be lost without my electric blanket. My daughter mentioned she got a throw that has electric heat that she uses when watching tv...that sounds heavenly.

I am truly spoiled...even my car seats have heat. I have been known to use the heated seats and have the air conditioning blowing. teehee

7. emttoni

emttoni New Member

In the summer dh runs the air conditioner and I freeze out and my feet get so cold! If my feet are warm then I am warm. The heated wrap sounds really good too. Its at night that my feet start to bother me and by bedtime Im miserable.

Warm and gentle hugs!

~Toni~
  8. hot-tubgirl

hot-tubgirl New Member

i too can't sleep if my feet are cold. i made a small enclosed pillow case stuffed with uncooked rice. I stick it in the microwave for a minute or til it's nice and warm, then wrap it around my feet on cold nights. helps a lot. cher
  9. bobbie1954

bobbie1954 New Member

I love my heated mattress pad... I am using pain patches now and it says not to use with electric bankets or mattress pads. I am going to talk to my dr and see why...
  10. TKE

TKE New Member

Loved the "Corndog" comment...too funny.

If my feet or any other part of me gets cold I just park myself on the register. Got those big old kind that have the nice big 1 inch holes in.

Humm lets see in summer I have a top sheet, quilt & blanket on. In winter we add the THICK quilt. We use one of those electric oil filled radiators in our bedroom. I also have 4 Toy Poodles that snuggle up close to me, so that helps too.

I got fleece sheets to try this year. The things we do to say warm, while normal people are sweating!

11. kriket

kriket New Member

I have one and I love it.

I use mine every night. I turn it on about an hour before I go to bed and when I slip into bed, ahhhhhhhh, the heat feels soooooo good on my aching muscles and bones.

I think the heat really helps me a lot. It's like a giant heating pad!!!

Kriket
  12. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I don't like the feel of heavy blankets on me (the pressure hurts my feet and toes) and I love being able to adjust the heat to what feels good to me. My kitties often love to lay on my bed in the evening (before my bedtime). I spoil them and turn on the blanket for them. They love the extra warmth.

Ellen
  13. Seeseaisme

Seeseaisme New Member

Thanks for reminding me
  14. Fredericka

Fredericka New Member

I have warming blankets (same thing as elec.) and it's great. Until I get RLS. Then I can't use it!! Legs and feet get all wiggy. Crazy darned disease.

But mostly I can use them.

Bobbie, you can't use the elec. blanket OR heating pads on your pain patch, as it changes the way the medicine is absorbed into your system. It may make it absorb too quickly and that's dangerous, of course.

Good luck, Nyrofan. You'll love the blanket. They even have one like a bag that you get into and it keeps your whole body warm. For using in the easy chair. I'd get a regular elec. blanket for the bed!
  15. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

My boyfriend got me one a couple of years ago for Christmas and it is WONDERFUL!! I love it sooo much. I am ALWAYS cold so it is great. So warm and cozy and comforting...especially when you don't feel well. One of my favorite gifts. Don't know how I lived without it.

My boyfriend is so wonderful that not only did he buy it for me but every night when he goes to bed he turns it on for me so that a few hours later when I am ready for bed my side of the bed is all warm and toasty.

Hope you get it soon and ENJOY!