How good is Alessi Sea Salt?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jadibeler, Sep 2, 2003.

1. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

I came across this at HEB grocery store today. Had to buy it because the health food store only takes credit card for $30 purchase and that's all I had with me. Won't be back for 2 weeks.

Since my experience buying Haines Sea Salt, only to find out it's junk, I'm leary. It says on the box that it's made from evaporated sea water, in Italy, through some sort of evaporation process. Hm-m-m It's that word "process" that I worry about. This is a brand no one has mentioned.

JoAnn
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I visited my local healthfood store yesterday and looked at all the sea salt. Seemed to me that the most expensive ones which are produced through evaporation are powdered and not granulated. I bought one from france and will try that. It's hard to know what to do. Supposedly, none of the minerals are lost through the evaporation process. This stuff looks more like flour than salt. I've been using their bulk sea salt for a long time, but I have no idea what the quality is.

Love, Mikie
  3. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

but when I looked at the package again, the word "process" was nowhere to be found. It said "evaporation ponds", but I know I read "process" because I remember commenting on it to my husband.

Anyway, this is white and it is crystaline. Sort of a strange flavor, though. Don't like it as well as KAL Real Salt but I guess it will do until I can get the RS.

JoAnn
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I also have the Alessi Sea Salt, this is what it says; 'Our sea salt comes from the waters and salt beds of the Mediterranean and adds a bit more of Europe to every meal.'

'Imported from Italy', coarse Sea Salt. Its pure salt and does not say anything else on the bottle. It does not say processed at all on the bottle. Maybe you read it on some other brand in the store? I do this all the time :)

I also use the Redmond Realsalt. Ingredients; REALSALT. This one is a finer grain than the Alessi, and is a light beige color, comes in a red,white and blue bag.

I like both of them, do not know which is the best though.

Shalom, Shirl