How has this affected your job?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PianoGirl, Jul 11, 2006.

1. PianoGirl

PianoGirl New Member

I used to work at least 40 hours a week. Was on the road an average of 1 1/2 hours each day. Would come home, do all the "mom" things, cook, clean, homework with the kids, etc, etc.

Now, my life has changed drastically. I am lucky to work 20 hours a week. Quit my job that was so far away and work 1 mile from home (which is a big blessing in itself) but it seems everything I do just exhausts the heck out of me. My house is no longer spic and span, we eat out more often than anybody ever should because most of the time i'm just too plain tired to feel like cooking.

Seems like the smallest thing I do drains me of any energy that I thought I had. i can't believe how tired I am all the time and there is just NO way i would be able to work full time. Really aggrevates me.

2. pammy52

pammy52 New Member

i have recently posted severaly msgs. on here regarding my struggle with work and fms.
    it is getting harder for me to work by the week.
    i was lucky to be able to switch to a desk job last fall after 3 yrs of looking for one.
    i had high hopes that would be the answer to better energy and less pain in terms of my work style.

i am struggling worse then ever right now and it is so frustrating and scary.

my kids are grown and i look back and wonder how i got thru those days of homework and sports etc..
    if it were now, i don't know how i would be able to help them with anything.

sorry you are struggling so...

hugs, pammy
  3. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

I was working full time until Dec last year. I had been struggling for about 6 months, I could feel my body getting into the relapse process.. symptoms of fatigue and exhaustion coming back. Looking back, I dont know how I made it through till the end of the year.

Anyway, after a month off I went back and found I could not work for more than 15 - 20 hours a week. I was in this horrible push-crash cycle where I would feel okay for a few days, then crash with CFS symptoms full blown again. I continued this for about 6 weeks before I decided to stop work.

My employer gave me 3 months unpaid leave, and I was sure that I would be returning to work as planned. Unfortunately it didnt work out. I continued to be sick, and started developing awful neurological symptoms too.

I've been off work now for nearly 5 months, I have no idea when I'll be able to work again, even part time.

My advice to anyone who is pushing themselves to work, is to listen to your body. It's trying to tell you something. I should have stopped working at least 6 months before I did. If I had I may not be in the position I'm in now.

Take care
    Michelle

4. place

place New Member

I am a teacher this next coming year I will only be working 2 afternoons a week (I do therapy) and got a desk job working for my mother's company during the mornings.

I struggled energy wise but also my teaching job was very physical and would often result in new pains or injuries.

It was a hard becuase I have wanted to become a special ed teacher since I was 18 years old.

But It was the best move for my health wise, I am much better now and can pace myself now.
  5. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

i'm a nurse and this dd has affected my job tremendously! i changed jobs to one where i could conrol what days i work and i only work 2 in a row. i wotk a max of 4 shifts a week instead of 5, but more often it's becoming 3 shifts a week. i now work evenings instead of days because the insomnia made it to hard to be at work by 7am. also i need more help at work when it comes to some of the lifting. there is quite a bit of moving patients around during an average shift and i just have learned that i need to ask for people to help instead of doing it alone.

a small side note to that. the obesity epidemic in this country is also making my job so much harder. not only is it more common to find patient over 300lbs now which makes them harder to reposition in bed and transfer from carts to beds. but it is harder to start iv's on obese people, acuratly assess their lungs and bowel sounds, and monitor their extremties for edema. also people who are obese tend to have multiple medical problems such as heart disease, diabetes, peripheral vascular disease ect. this makes their cases way more complicated. it has made my job so much harder as this epidemic rages on in this country. but this is kind of off the topic.

rachel
  6. barbinindiana

barbinindiana New Member

take a early retirement, and make my job taking care of me.
    Barb
  7. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

I worked 20 hours/week at my previous job. I was on FMLA through the company, so they knew about my illness. However, I was constantly calling off because I was too sick to go in.

Now, I work as a nurse's aid at the hospital here. I only work 2 days a week (16 hours/week), and I've been working there for 6 months. I'm in school to become an RN, so I like the experience I'm getting in the hospital. However, I've been working here 6 months and I've already missed 5 days, 3 of which were this past week.

I find that if I'm not calling off due to the CFIDS, then I'm calling off because I've got another infection going on. Since having CFIDS, I seem to get sick ALOT. I don't call off from work unless I'm extremely sick, though. The first time I had a fever of 103 for 5 days. The next time I had a migraine and couldn't stop throwing up. I ended up in the ER the evening before, and there was no way I was going to work the next day. And now, I've got bronchitis and a sinus infection. So, I took 3 days off at my doctors advice.

It's frustrating though because now I wonder what my boss is going to think. Will they look down on me? And, furthermore, what if I'm getting in to the wrong career. I mean, I'm ALWAYS getting sick...at least every 2 or 3 months. And when I get sick, it's usually bad. So that means every 2 to 3 months I'll be calling off from work.

So anyway, this disease has definitely affected my job.

Hugs,
    Kim