how have these diseases effected you mentally?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by carebelle, Jul 21, 2006.

1. carebelle

carebelle New Member

besides depression or fibo fog tell me how you have mentally changed or behaved that you think could be blamed on these diseases.
    personality changes, If you need more examples read some of my post. Has anyone had extreme behavior changes and been hospitalized for them. I realize this is very personal but I would like to know If I am the only one that has had mental changes ? I am doing find mentally now but I have been threw some strange happenings. They blame them on serotonin levels and that is a problem with these DD's.
    We talk so much about the physical pain what about the mental pain?
  2. Dainty45

Dainty45 New Member

My anxiety has gotten worse, and my depression, which I have had for 15 years. Actually I have had anxiety all my life. The feeling of not being able to do the things I used to do bothers me. I don't feel fulfilled as a person unless I am doing for someone else. My PMS has gotten pretty bad, where I would blow up for no reason, I have little patience at that time. Of course, I am going through perimenopause also, so that is not helping.

Good Luck to you!!!
    Take Care! SB
  3. kellyann

kellyann New Member

I feel almost constant anxiety, like I am waiting for some big dreadful thing to happen. I am not a happy camper for the most part. I am not the girl I used to be. I am tired, sore and grumpy.

Kellyann
  4. keke466

keke466 New Member

I am not the same. Even though I went thru alot growing up and my personal life has always been in turmoil I tried to be positive. My Mom is very negative about everything so I've tried to be the opposite. I try to weigh all my options. But it's getting very hard anymore.

I'm not as easy going as I use to be. I could tell when I was still working my attitude had changed. It has made me have more anxiety,more depression. I try to watch what I say around certain people because I don't really want to offend them. It changes you altogether.

Keke
  5. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I have struggled with depression in the past.

What ails me most now is my anxiety. I feel it most of the time.

I was recently diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I think it's mild but it's very challenging.

My last labs had a positive gliadin antibody (reflects Celiac disease). I won't be certain until more tests are done.

I looked up the symptoms of Celiac and there is a strong correlation with Celiac and Psychological conditions. Maybe a gluten-free diet (the treatment for Celiac) will relieve some of my anxiety/OCD.

Sofi
  6. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Anxiety is the major change...
  7. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

Wow these diseases have affected me greatly and I feel like I have more anxiety, forgetting things like I can't remember the last sentence I said, the intense fibro fog, and my mood swings are more intense, I cry a lot, and the list goes on.

8. Centaura57

Centaura57 New Member

Hi. New here and don't usually have much to say....but this mental thing has really scared me. I get up from my chair and don't remember why. I have lost track of my glasses, only to discover they were right in front of me on the desk. I get in my car and don't remember where it was I needed to go. I put a bill on the bulletin board, then forget to pay it on time (even when I have the money!!!). I'm afraid of what I may be forgetting and that makes the anxiety even worse. And of course the FM and depression kicks right back in because of that. Just scary!
  9. jole

jole Member

Rickj I completely agree with how you feel. I too have become quite introverted, not a people person at all any more, and it's become very hard for me to work. Everyone use to come in our office and talk to me. But now, I'd rather keep to myself and stay busy, focused on my work than chit chat. It just all seems so trivial and I just do not have the energy for it.

I use to be a very caring individual. Now I basically only care about my family. Just don't have the energy for anyone else, and that makes me feel very dead inside.

With the fog, forgetfulness, difficulty concentrating, I am much more depressed and anxious, which certainly carries over into all aspects of my life. It's very hard to get excited or be happy about anything but the very small, trivial things in life anymore.

10. pammy52

pammy52 New Member

I am becoming more depressed and angry.
    I have recently had a few bouts with intense anxiety.
    I know my fatigue is causing great frustration which translates into anger and depression.

I am now finding that it is really difficult to function well at work in terms of putting aside how I feel phsycally and emotionally.
    I used to be the upbeat,smiling face no matter what was going on around me.

I am spending so much energy just trying to stay focused on what I am doing and making it thru the day that I find myself withdrawing from those around me.

I can still put on the 'face' while scheduling patients but even then, I too often find myself just wishing they would hurry up and go away and biting my tongue when it is a difficult patient.

This is very upsetting, since it is not the person I really am or was...
    Very frustrating and sad.

Pammy
  11. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I've done a 360 degree change. My nickname was sweetie and I was known for the smile on my face. I have always been know for being such a nice and caring person.

Now I'm angry, depressed, anxious, and sometimes the B word would be appropriate with good reason.

I haven't dealt well with all of these life changing events and my body and brain is letting me down. Along with this my family has let me down. They do not accept my illness and think that if I got out of the house I would be better. If only that was possible, I would do that. Do they think I want to be here? Do they think I want to be sensitive to lights, smells, movement, and noise? Do they think that I don't want to be able to read and remember what I do read? Do they think that I want to go throw up because I stay on the computer too long because I am lonely? Do they understand how afraid I am because I am dependent on people that don't understand? This list could go on and on.

It is not because of lack of effort that I am not well. Sometimes that makes you feel like a failure too. I have tried what others have tried on the board that made them feel better and it has not been the answer for me yet.

Yes, I've changed and I do not like how I feel. I'm so trapped both mentally and physically. I don't even know the person that I am now and what I feel I do not like.
  12. carebelle

carebelle New Member

a mental breakdown? That being detached from reality or unable to to function normally with mental task? Can you explain? We all joke about fibo fog but how has something gone beyond a joke for you ?
  13. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

I'm not certain what caused it, but know I was acting in ways almost anyone would regard as unusual. I heard voices over the period of a couple of years. Say what you will they pulled me out of some bad situations by making me do what would appear to be really stupid things. There came a point when I had a suicide attempt. I avoided being hospitalized by convincing medical personnel it had been an accident, telling them exactly what the voices told me to tell them.

The end result was that I found a spiritual peace and awareness of God which had not before been a part of my life.

I no longer hear the command voices which I heard, but do feel like I am being guided in choices I make.

Edit to add -- My most severe current mental problem is fatigue which varies throughout the day but is always present, mental clutter making it hard to think, a feeling of inertia and confusion which makes it almost impossible to accomplish anything. Definitely have more than the average problems beginning and completing almost anything.

[This Message was Edited on 07/22/2006]
  14. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I also heard voices and saw Angels who told me to calm myself and Trust God when I was so much in fear.

I have always been a spiritual Person but I also no longer hear voices or see people that are not there.

I do feel Gods love for me in a deeper more meaningful way now. I would have been a person lost forever in my own head but my Husband, Children's Love and God brought me back.

I also thought about killing myself. When I was lost at one point I could have become one of those sad street people. Thank God ,I've come a long way.

I am just now getting where I'm not embarrassed by all of that. I feel I went threw it to understand, these things can happen to anyone. That's why I tell my story now.

15. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

The part of my brain not functioning is not a joke to me. It is one of my major problems. It was one of my first symptoms and the reason I have had neuro physic test. It shows cognitive dysfunction (non dementia). The executive dysfunction is not working.

Then there is the sensory overload that evolves from overstimulation of the brain also.

This did not happen because of a nervous breakdown it happened because of this DD.

Although having dealt with all the issues of this disease and the reaction of my family and with me not dealing with the loss and anger, I can see that it could easily lead to a break down. I feel like I am at a breaking point now if something does not change. I went to a therapist this week. I wish I could take AD's but my body now over reacts to meds.

Those that have support seem to do the best.

16. carebelle

carebelle New Member

1sweetie I agree my breakdown happen because of this DD .I really think this ,although many Doctors will tell me its the opposite.

I had NO reason for a break down .I was having issues with fatigue when everything crashed.

I know like they say, which came first like" the chicken or the egg." I think I know my own being better then even the Doctors they just don't listen