How have you adjusted to Progressive eyeglasses??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TwinMa, May 26, 2006.

1. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I've been wearing contact lenses since I was 16 (I'm 49 now).

With aging eyes, I've needed reading correction as well as distance correction. For the past year, I have been wearing multifocal contacts. They are like bifocals in contact lens form. Unfortunately, they don't correct for my astigmatism.

Well this latest exam showed my eyes were getting worse. I'm now in a new Rx of multifocals and I'm having worse headaches than usual. Not sure if it's just the contacts, but I think that a part.

Anyway, I'm thinking I will need to bite the bullet and get progressive eyeglasses. My husband has them and hates them. He says he never got used to them. My backup glasses are just plain old single vision.

My question: Do you have Progressive glasses, and how long did it take you to get used to them? Are the lined bifocals better?

Thanks!
  2. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

you should adapt to them right away.Within a day you won't notice any difference.

If a person gets used to bifocals,it is hard to go to progressive.I have progressive and love them.My husband has had bifocals and couldn't use the progressive.

I don't think that you'll have a problem but don't really know for certain since I haven't used bifocal contacts.Linda
  3. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I wore lined bi-foculs for years but had trouble seeing clearly when something was kind of in between.

The top worked great for driving. The bottom was great for reading. I, however, have 20/20 vision from about 3 feet from my face out to about 6 feet. I couldn't wear them at all at the computer.

I went to the progressive lens about 4 years ago and I really like it. It took a month or so before I was really comfortable with them. It was hard to learn to move my head instead of just moving my eyes.

Now I can see to drive and still tell what the spedometer says! I still don't wear them at the computer, I'm just more comfortable that way. I keep reading glasses on a chain around my neck so when I need to use them at work I know right where they are!

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  4. aquabugs

aquabugs New Member

And we love 'em

I went straight to progressives when I got to the point I needed bifocals. I flat refused to wear lined bifocals. LOL I didn't have any trouble adjusting to them. My husband, who is quite a few years older than me, had worn bifocals for many years. When he saw how much I liked my progressives, he decided to try them. too. This is a man who doesn't like any change! He adjusted to them very quickly as well and now refuses to go back to regular old bifocals. I don't think it took us longer than a day or so to get used to them.

Good luck!
    Sylvia
  5. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I was just going by what the optometrist mentioned and my husbands experience.I love mine.Linda
  6. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I've had them for years and love them. I also went from contact lenses to glasses when menopause made my eyes too dry to wear contacts.

Marta
    [This Message was Edited on 05/26/2006]
  7. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Wow! This is very encouraging! Maybe the transition from contacts to glasses won't be so bad for me.

Do they correct for astigmatism, too?

For those of you who use different glasses at the computer, do you just remove your progressives and put on a pair of single vision glasses? Or are you using readers at the computer?

I really appreciate all your responses!!!!
  8. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

I've had three prescriptions over a period of twenty years or so.
  9. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

They work fine.Linda
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I love them and would not consider anything else in glasses. I also wear one contact for reading if I don't want to wear my glasses. It's called monovision and not everyone can get used to that. The brain has to "rewire" itself for monovision and for progressive glasses. Some people rewire better than others.

Love, Mikie
  11. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I used bifocals first and then went to progressive lens. I have had them for over 3 years and will not get another pair.

However, my mom has had them for years and loves them! My best friend wouldn't give hers up, as she loves them also! I wish I did. I hate carrying 2 pairs of glasses, and always losing one pair! LOL

Good Luck,

Kim
    [This Message was Edited on 05/27/2006]
  12. libra55

libra55 New Member

When the time came I went straight to Progressives. Bypassed the lined bifocals completely. I had no trouble adjusting. I heard people that try to go from bifocal to Progressive have trouble.

Michelle
  13. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

What do you guys do for sunglasses? Does anyone use clip on?

Does anyone have the transition lenses where the lenses change to sunglasses with UV light? Do you like them?

Thank you for all your useful responses so far. It's been very helpful!!!
  14. libra55

libra55 New Member

i use clip on. always polarized ones. i have uveitis (autoimmune eye disease)so i have to protect my eyes.

sorry for no caps, typing one-handed.

michelle