How Helpful Has Acupuncture Been For You?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TerriM, Feb 4, 2003.

1. TerriM

TerriM New Member

I keep getting suggestions to try acupuncture. I am going to try as soon as I get home (have been seeing drs at Vanderbilt). I keep hearing it is a great thing to do to aid you immune system imbalance. I've never tried it before and was wondering about others results. I am very hypersensitive to things, but have been told the surgical steel won't cause me a problem???? Thanks for any advice! Terri
  2. catgal

catgal New Member

Hi Terri~~I was born with life-threatening asthma/allergies and IBS. Have had FM/CFS for over 35 years. Later came osteo/psoriatic/rheumatoid arthritis. Two was ago was diagnosed with advanced degenerative disc disease.

Out of desperation, I went to a clinic in Oklahoma City that specializes in electro-acpuncture. I was initially terrified because I am phobic of needles. They did a history of all my ailments (recognized FM/CFS), and I started having electro-acpuncture every other day (there has to be a day in between treatments).

On my first session, I laid face down on the table, gritted my teeth, summoned all my courage, and told him I was ready for him to put the needles in. He already had. The sessions were 15 minutes. They also treated me with high quality Chinese herbs that were right for my system, along with 7.5 lortab.

The needles never did hurt, and I was able to turn the electrical current clear up to max. Some places don't offer the electro-acupuncture--just regular needles that they twist around--but the electrical current going down into the needles at the precise points was amazing.

I noticed no improvement until the 3rd week--and then I noticed such incredible improvement in EVERYTHING that I no longer needed the lortab. I couldn't believe that I woke up that morning of the 3rd week with no pain anywhere.

After 4 weeks of these treatments, I flew back home feeling great. And, I believe that had I been able to keep doing the electro-acupuncture, I would not have needed anything else. However, there is no place to get it where I live, and I started going back downhill after a month and had to get on narcotic pain management.

But my experience with the electro-acpuncture was tremendous. I felt no pain anywhere; my asthma was better; my arthritis didn't hurt; the FM didn't hurt; I had energy; and my back was no longer in severe pain. Though every one's experience is different, I would highly, highly recommend it and stay with it. And the high quality Chinese herbs/vitamins they gave me made me feel great! It takes a little time, but the results do come and are well worth it. Best Wishes, Carol...
  3. LauraLea

LauraLea New Member

I was suffering from a siatic nerve flare up and was hardly able to walk, so I decide to try acupuncture. I thought what do I have to loose.

It did the trick I was actually able to walk out with little pain. The only draw back I had was it caused me to break out in a hive like rash, so I never went back. But, I have to tell you I would take the hives over the pain any day...
  4. TerriM

TerriM New Member

I really appreciate hearing about your experiences. I'm definitely going to try it. I'm staying in Tennessee right now & there aren't any acupuncturists around here, but back in Maryland where I live there are a lot and some actually accept Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance which is helpful. Your words are very encouraging! Terri