How high is HIGH pulse rate?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fieldmouse, Oct 17, 2006.

1. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

My pulse rate usually runs over 100. Sometimes it goes down into the 90's but, when it gets really high,120 or so, I can feel it all thru my body. I have asked my PCP about this but they don't seem concerned. Does anyone know anything about this and what is to high? Thanks Mick!!
  2. donna275

donna275 New Member

It is high when I am just sitting. I believe it is usually around 90, sometimes 100. I've mentioned it to my doctor too and he didn't seem concerned either.

I smoked so that may have something to do with it. I quit three weeks ago and it seems lower now.

Donna
  3. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Mine gets high when I'm exposed to fragrances. The formaldehyde in aspartame (diet coke, Nutra sweet) messed up my autonomic nervous system. I'm extremely formaldehyde sensitive. And, formaldehyde is in just about everything. Do you take magnesium? I think it helps.
  4. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

I don't take it but I will check into it...Thanks, Mick!!
  5. millennia

millennia New Member

This is so funny, yesterday I was diagnosed with sinus tachycardia, which is a heart rate that is regularly over 100 beats per minute.

For years I have PCP's tell me to avoid caffeine (they didn't care that the only caffeine I consume is from the occasional piece of chocolate) and take a deep breath.

Finally I went to a new doc, he doesn't blow off anything I say. I complained about mt heart, like I've been doing for over 10 years and he sent me to a cardiologist. The cardiologist put me on an event monitor for 2 weeks (what a pain!). Yesterday my cardiologist called with the results, he said my heart rate jumps around from 80 to over 140, while resting!!!!! (You report what activity level you're doing during these events).

My cardiologist was very concerned with this. He put me on beta blockers and I took the first one last night. When I went to bed last night my heart didn't race. I slept much better than usual do to this (unfortunately I hurt my back yesterday morning, so the pain hurt my sleep).

You might want to see a cardiologist, your PCP might not realize how serious it is.
  6. charlenef

charlenef New Member

if im laying my pulse is about 80 just standing it jumps to around 120 it feels like it is going to pound out of my chest i had some test they say i have an underlying sinnus arythmia i will be going to a cardio dr friday ill let you know what she says. charlene
  7. elliespad

elliespad Member

I too take a beta blocker for this same problem. I have been using Tenormin for about 23+ years.

I just posted on 10/15/06 about the Link between BetaBlockers/Melatonin/Seratonin. Oddly, not many people thought it significant. I did. Taking it at night, which I do, prevents the release/production of Melatonin and other hormones. You might want to read it, and IF you figure out a way around this dilemma, please let me know, because I'm obviously doing myself more harm than good by continuing to take this class of drug. Perhaps just taking it earlier in the day might allow for proper release of Melatonin.

8. 1faith

1faith New Member

The cardiologist is a good idea just to be sure nothing (else) is amiss. Bug your PCP for a referral. Mine beats fast and pounds in my left ear most of the time-rate usually in 90's. Is your pulse regular? If not, you may be at a higher risk for blood clots.
    Besides actual problems with the heart and the caffeine, some things that can make your heart beat faster are general deconditioning, fever, stress, heat, and other meds.
  9. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Dr Cheney speaks about this cardiac thing. I personally have postural thachycardia with pulse rates up to 130. Many docs dismiss it,but it should be investigated. Yes, bug for a referral. I am still hoping for mine. It can be very handicapping to have this.

When I read Dr Cheney's "The three stages of CFS" a light went on. I recognised myself so well in that article, it might be worth a read.

A holter monitor is a good idea to wear for 24-48 hours.

I don't know why docs don't care more about this problem. They should. It could be POTS. remember, your regular BP does NOT have to go down for you to have POTS, people with hypertension have POTS too, and their pressure remains high. The pulse will be the desiding factor.

10. happycanuk

happycanuk New Member

I have Atrial Fibrillation where the heart pounds at over 160 beats a minute. It makes it really hard to breath. When the heart is beating that fast, it can't do it's job.

It seems to take the DRs. a looooong time to find the problem. I had 3 or 4 ECG's during that year, as I complained about this runaway heart. NOTHING, of course, as it had stopped by the time I that the test. Finally, one day it DIDN'T stop, and I went to the Dr., who sent me to ER and that is when they found the problem. If left unchecked a rapid heart beat can lead to stroke.

I take a beta-blocker and another med for heart rythum. I did read the post about the beta blocker being taken at night and interfereing with melatonin. Thanks for that info.
  11. Fieldmouse, normal adult heart rate my dr said (as she was prescribing my atenolol after a 24hr holter monitor) should be between 60-80 bpm (beats per minute) mine fluctuated from (sleep-69bpm) to 176 (I fell on very thin ice that only made our wooden deck look WET) and was 'frequently' in the 126+ range, while just sitting, I drank no caffeine at the time, not many sweets, drank water, or caffeine free pop-with meals (yeah, sugar doesn't help)

anyways, I had been on 50mg to start, then cut down to 25mg a day, because an anesthesiologist discovered just before a major surgery that my pulse was 56 and bp was somewhere in the 78?/50 range, they asked me how I could still stand, much less walk down the hospital halls, told me I should be passing out with a B/P that low--I told them, without birth control pills, my blood pressure has always been around 80 something over 50-60 something--they were a little concerned about that..

NOW, I'm on b.c. pills again, my 'woman' doctor never listens to me, I have elevated liver enzymes (liver *disease* huge no-no for b.c. pills, as well as gallbladder disease-but, I don't have my GB anymore)

My blood pressure is actually just up to the normal range almost, around 116+/70+ but, my meds or something* has my pulse rate up again, 103 2wks ago at the hospital and 130 a couple of days ago at the hospital! Uggh! When it gets that high, I get short of breath, very weak sometimes, (pre-medication, I had 'collapsed' in the kitchen, walking to the microwave, etc. I just got tooo weak, sweaty, & shaky, and would HAVE to lay down in the floor to catch my breath, then hubby would help me back to bed...

I too have sinus tachycardia--NOW, (normal *rhythm* but high heart rate, but, the monitor was actually ordered because, after properly weaning off of Effexor ER(?) for 6wks, I had heart palpitations for TWO MONTHS! that were terribly unnerving, and debilitating they were SO frequent. Thank goodness they've mostly gone away. I will get them still every now and then, (meds? blood sugar plummeting, etc..)

I don't know why your doctor is too lazy or not concerned enough to just order a *24 hr* monitor, at the very least, if it's hitting 120 or so, sometimes.

My dr, last year, was told by an ER dr to do a stress test on me, and pulmonary function test, she ordered 1 of the *4* tests of the PFT, and put me on albuterol, well, the lady at the hospital said, this is odd, but you're breathing is worse with the albuterol (administered during the test, after the first part, without) something went down* 11 points after administering it!

I asked her at my next visit again* about the stress test, she changed the subject entirely, I kept bringing it up, she ignored me.

I had gotten very sick after a surgery, and the surgeon ordered me to get to the hospital to be checked for a blood clot in my lung, 7hrs later, I got talked to like a moron, but they did run a CT scan, and the *standard* ER blood panel.

Then the doctor came in the room, and basically said "eat more klonopin" I went OFF! I said, first of all, I'm NOT ON klonopin for ANXIETY, it's for MS muscle spasms, twitching & jerking muscles,.......and ANGER issues! He wasn't even looking at me, and said something to me about how *harmful* it is to be taking St John's Wort! I said, NEVER HEARD OF ANYONE DYING FROM IT! (yes, I do know you are supposed to discontinue it 2wks before surgery-it can* cause bleeding probs--I don't even take it anymore)

All that after I tried leaving AMA, then sent my sister home to get my pain medicine, sitting there THAT long, 3 days after a pretty nasty procedure (had port cath sewn into my chest wall, under the skin. They secure it by sewing it into the muscle)

ANYWAYS--this crazy lady is done rambling, LOL

Find you a doctor that WILL listen, besides being dangerous, it can make you feel even worse with this DD, as my symptoms above will tell you, as well as others have said.

Laura
  12. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

I have a great PCP. She will do anything I ask her to do. I have an appointment in a couple weeks so I will talk to her. Thanks for the info. ~hugs~ Mick
  13. chloeuk

chloeuk New Member

resting is always over 100, when I move it goes up in to the 130s. I saw cardiologist about 6 months ago and he thought it was my anti depressant so I came off of it and heart rate is still high so I have gone back on it. There are no abnormalities with my heart just very fast...I always wonder if that is the reason I am so tired...it does bother me but I was told beta blockers would only increase tiredness also have psoriasis and BB dont help that so I dont have many options.

Just on another note even though I have lost over 70lbs in weight my cholestrol is really high when it was low before I got ill.

Chloe
  14. GwenGlo

GwenGlo New Member

....for years (probably 10+) it was never below 120 at any time.

When I mentioned it to the doctors I got that look that said "is that supposed to mean anything?"

So, a few months ago I ended up in the ER with Atrial Fibrillation and my pulse was over 200.

Now it is important that my pulse stay low.

Gwen
  15. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

My rheumatologist seems unconcerned because it has always been high and that it might just be *ME* My BP is under control - I don't have a racing heart - and he is not concerned. However, reading what ya'll have been saying makes me more concerned. He'll refer me any where but I haven't asked about a cardiologist. I am going to bring it up to him next week at my regular appointment.

N
  16. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

Normal RESTING heart rate is between 60 and 100. Anything below 60 is considered bradycardia and is cause for concern. However, some very athletic people tend to run lower heart rates and it's actually a good thing. On the other end of the spectrum, over 100 bpm is referred to as tachycardia. Tachycardia also warrents investigation. The heart is a muscle, and just like any other muscle that's overworked, it's going to hypertrophy (enlarge) and can no longer pump blood efficiently. If your resting heart rate is regularly over 100 you should definitely get it checked out.

Hope this helps,
    Kim
  17. Manaleon

Manaleon New Member

This just started for me about three weeks ago. I was lying down, and had been lying down for at least 20 minutes and I realized my heart rate was 116. I remember when I used to speed skate, my heart rate averaged at 120.....so I was a little disturbed. It's been high ever since then.

-June
  18. jenni4736

jenni4736 New Member

FieldMouse,

I actually posted about this the other day. I had wonderful blood pressure for my entire life. I am only 34 years old. However, about 5 months ago the bottom number started rising a bit and my pulse was NEVER below 100 and often 120- 150. I started feeling like my heart was racing, sweating, etc. Sometimes, I felt as though I was having an anxiety attack, short breath like asthma, tight chest, etc.

I kept a journal at the advise of my doctor. I took my PULSE in the mornings before I got out of bed. The again later in the day and just before bed time. I kept notes of how I was feeling, increasing symptoms (of any type), etc.

After a few weeks I had a regular appointment with my
    Rheumy. She started me on a blood pressure med. I noticed a minor improvement for the first few days, but after a week or so, I was feeling it again. I made an appointment with my PCP who changed the blood pressure med to Atenolol. I started noticing a difference right away and it began to come down. The only problem was it was coming back up at night.

After 2 months on one dose of Atenolol a day he upped it to twice a day taking one at night and one in the am. That has made all of the difference so far. It has only been a few months but my pulse is staying around 80- 90 at rest.It has an occasional rise if I get stressed (with 3 kids that would never happen..right? HAHAH)

It is important that you persue this. I think chronic pain pain is a real cause of these issues and the longer this goes on the more damage that is possible to you heart. Anytime it is overworking it a bad thing. I would tell your doctor you want him to persue it for you comfort if nothing else.

Good luck
    Jenni
  19. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I went to a different doc on base this week and he was concerned that my heart rate was 96.

He asked me to schedule a follow up appt to talk more about it.

Hmmmmmm, now I'm wondering if I should be concerned?

Hugs,

Nancy B
  20. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

Thanks so much to everyone for all your support. I really appreciate it.,.Hugs Mick!!