(How I) Finally got something for the pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by justjanelle, Oct 21, 2008.

1. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

I've been seeing the same rheumy for FM for the past 5 years, since my diagnosis. He has been very resistant to the idea of giving me anything at all for the pain. (Well, he did give me an arthritis med called DayPro a few years ago, but it was completely ineffective; since then he's just said to use Tylenol.)

At my appointment last week, I said "We have to talk about pain." And then I explained to him very clearly what level of pain I'm talking about:

Two or three days out of each month, I'm hurting really bad by mid-afternoon and become completely non-functional because of it. These may be days where I've done more than I should have, or they may be random. As my muscles tighten, my shoulders draw up to my ears, my hands curl into loose fists, and I have to hold my arms to my chest and hunch over in my chair. I've taken the Tylenol by this point and it isn't working. I've also taken my max. 4mg. of Zanaflex. But every muscle in my body is as tight as it can possibly be -- and then I start getting stabbing pains that are like being stabbed with a knitting needle every 10 - 15 seconds. And this can go on for several hours.

I explained that I've had 2 children with no medication at all, and that this pain is worse than that. It's indescribable.

Amazingly, he took out his prescription pad and gave me an actual pain medicine! Not another anti-inflammatory, not another muscle relaxer, but an actual pain medicine. And he said if this doesn't help, we'll try something else! (Although he did give me the talk about how pain meds are addictive and to be careful to only take it when I really need it.)

Now, to be fair to him, I've never presented my case in quite this way before. I've said something like "I really need something more for the days when the pain is really bad." And gotten blown off with the Tylenol recommendation.

But I've had an increasing number of those bad days in the last couple of months and I just couldn't take it any more.

I share this story in the hopes it might help someone else get the medication they need.

Best wishes,

PS. I know someone is going to say I should have switched doctors to get the help I needed, but he's one of the very few doctors in this area that treat FM at all. I did the best I could with what/who was available. I know others here are in the same boat.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/21/2008]
  2. stinker56

stinker56 New Member

So glad to hear you now have something to relieve your pain. I hope it works for you.

My rheumy doesn't like to prescribe pain meds either. He says that as long as my regular doctor is doing this for me that he won't. I just asked because I have to see him every three months anyway and only go to the GP occassionally I thought it would be easier for me.

I take Percoset and the prescription has to be written every time I run out and I have to pick it up in person. That is the worst part and she closes before I get off from work.

Hope you are feeling better.
  3. libbyann

libbyann New Member

I know how you feel, I went to my doctor for 10 years, he did not want to give me pain meds. I finally had to change doctors, now I have Methadone for pain, and other meds.
    I hope you get to feeling better.
    I am new to the board, not sure how to work everything.
    God bless.
  4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Reading here for over a year about how hard it is for some people to get some pain relief makes me realize how fortunate I am to have a doctor who believes in pain management.
    I had to tell my Dr. that I could not bear to face another day with this pain. I was dreading everyday.

I do not know what kind of life if any I would have if I did not have some sort of relief. I would not be able to take it.