How I know my mind is going..going..gone

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Cindyvr, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Cindyvr

Cindyvr New Member

I was talking to a friend of mine on the phone tonight..I was telling her how my sister was coming to visit with my Dad..I kept trying to tell her where we were picking her up at..A total loss for the word I finally said know the place where all the planes go..She said airport? Uh yeah thats it!! For some dumb reason I could only think of the word thermostat!! Go Figur!! LOL
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Happens to us all. I once said I had to get an elevator. What I meant was: umbrella.

In your case, however, there is a scientific or linguistic explanation. The ancient Greeks had a government official who was the thermoportus or regulator.

And, of course, a thermostat regulates temperature and the airport is where plane traffic is regulated, so it makes perfect sense.
  3. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i do it all the time. it is frustrating.

4. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

You're not alone.

I was searching for the word 'dartboard' the other day. All I could think of to say was 'that thing you throw things at'. Needless to say, I was met with a few blank stares.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  5. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I dont' know why, but the nouns go first

Sometimes, I have to visualize the object before I can get the name of the object to pop into my head
  6. elliespad

elliespad Member

In my house, when I can't think of the name of something, I call it a Bisquit. Used to be my generic name for a homemade Egg McMuffin, and various other random food items. Eventually evolved to non food items. Maybe the checkbook, or remote, or dogs' leash, whatever, the BISQUIT! I finally quit torturing myself when I couldn't name that item. It's a BISQUIT! Makes my son CRAZY!
    [This Message was Edited on 12/12/2006]
  7. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

That's called a brain fart. Pheeeet it's gone!!
  8. Cindyvr

Cindyvr New Member

Brain Fart?!?!?! LOL Sounds right to me!!!
    Hope you all have a GREAT Day!!