How I'm boosting my immune system

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mbofov, Jun 19, 2009.

1. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Until very recently, I had been struggling for over a year with recurrent sinus and other infections. It was quite obvious that my immune system was weakened. Every time I crashed I got sick, and it could take weeks to get over it. I also got sick in between crashes. In general, I was sick most of the time and being sick became more disabling than the CFIDS crashes themselves.

About 8 weeks ago or so I went to see a chiropractor who does muscle testing and uses Standard Process products (similar to my old chiropractor where I used to live some years ago). Unsurprisingly, my thymus and adrenal glands tested weak. I used to take an adrenal glandular product but had stopped for a couple of years.

Anyways, I started taking Thymex and Drenamin (thymus and adrenal glandular products) from Standard Process, and my immune system has started to bounce back. In general I don’t get sick in between crashes any more, and only get slightly sick when I do crash, and am able to get over it much quicker.

This is huge for me, as you can imagine. Among other things, I’m now able to restart the methylation protocol, something I’ve wanted to do for quite awhile but was just too sick to be able to do regularly as it was too difficult being sick and detoxing at the same time.

So, for those of you struggling with recurrent sinus and other infections, maybe even viruses, I strongly recommend looking into this. The muscle testing helped me several times in the past with various digestive problems, including low stomach acid, inflamed gallbladder, toxic liver, and ileocecal valve problem, and weak adrenals, and now is helping my immune system. In general it is inexpensive, especially compared to doctor visits. The first appointment was $75, but follow-ups were $35, plus the cost of the supplements.

If you want to find a practitioner who uses Standard Process products (which are very good products), call Standard Process customer service (you can get the number from their website) and they can give you names of practitioners in your area.

2. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

This is great news, Mary! I'm so happy for you!!!

I hope the methylation protocol goes really well for you.

3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

It really is such a breakthrough for me. The Vitamin Diagnostics testing did show low glutathione, etc., so am starting to have a little hope for the methylation protocol ...

Best wishes,

4. simpsons

simpsons Member

good luck mary thanks for sharing. i don.t really get the methylation protocol it seems complicated to my brain. can you explain a bit please

i use liquorice root for my adrenals so i am working on something of the same lines am i? or am i confused? i think confused perhaps i.ll admit it

5. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

My post might have been confusing because I talked about the thymus gland, adrenals and methylation protocol altogether, but they are 3 different things.

Very briefly, the simplified methylation protocol is a group of supplements designed to help restart the methylation cycle in the body and boost glutathione levels. It is based on a theory that CFIDS is caused by a partial block in the methylation cycle (caused by virus, stress, other things) and consequent low glutathione levels, which gives rise to a cascade of symptoms involved in CFIDS.

To read some of Rich Van K's papers on this, go to

The papers are a bit complicated, although I think they're worth struggling through, at least once.

One of the effects of a methylation cycle block is that it interferes with detoxification pathways in the body, so toxins tend to accumulate. When a person starts to take the methylation protocol supplements (see info below), the methylation cycle begins to restart and you can experience detox symptoms - the body is starting to work properly again and get rid of toxins, but it can be overwhelming because a lot of toxins may have accumulated. So it is recommended to start with very small amounts of the methylation protocol supplements until you know how you will respond to them.

At the end of this post, I've copied something Rich posted to me which gives the info on the supplements involved in the methylation protocol. He also talks about a test performed by Vitamin Diagnostics (which I just had done), which measures glutathione levels and indicates whether or not there is a methylation cycle block. My glutathione was low and it appears my methylation cycle is partially blocked, so am a good candidate for the methylation protocol.

I've read that licorice root can be good for the adrenals. I've had very good results with adrenal glandular supplements. And the thymus gland is crucial for the immune system, and mine was weak. So the adrenal glandular (Drenamin) and thymus glandular (Thymex) are helping me a lot with my chronic infections. Since I'm not feeling so sick now, I can tolerate better taking the methylation supplements which do cause me to detox.

Does that explain it?

Here's Rich's input on the methylation protocol:

There has been one revision in the simplified protocol because Metagenics changed the formulation of one of the supplements. Here's the revised protocol:

April 18, 2009

(Extracted from the full treatment program
    developed by Amy Yasko, Ph.D., N.D.
    which is used primarily in treating autism [1])

1. FolaPro [2]: ¼ tablet (200mcg) daily
    2. Actifolate [3]: ¼ tablet daily
    3. General Vitamin Neurological Health Formula [4]: start with ¼ tablet and work up dosage as tolerated to 2 tablets daily
    4. Phosphatidyl Serine Complex [5]: 1 softgel capsule daily
    5. Activated B12 Guard [6]: 1 sublingual lozenge daily

All these supplements can be obtained from, or all but the third one can be obtained from other sources.
    The first two supplement tablets are difficult to break into quarters. We recommend that you obtain (from any pharmacy) a good-quality pill splitter to assist with this process. They can, alternatively, be crushed into powders, which are then separated on a flat surface using a knife or single-edged razor blade, and the powders can be mixed together. They can be taken orally with water, with or without food.
    These supplements can make some patients sleepy, so in those cases they take them at bedtime. They can be taken at any time of day, with or without food.
    GO SLOWLY. As the methylation cycle block is lifted, toxins are released and processed by the body, and this can lead to an exacerbation of symptoms. IF THIS HAPPENS, try smaller doses, every other day. SLOWLY work up to the full dosages.
    Although this treatment approach consists only of nonprescription nutritional supplements, a few patients have reported adverse effects while on it. Therefore, it is necessary that patients be supervised by physicians while receiving this treatment.

If you want to get the test done by Vitamin Diagnostics (which is highly recommended to see if the methylation protocol may help you), here is the info for doing that:

Here's contact information for getting the test panel:

Methylation Pathways Panel

This panel will indicate whether a person has a partial methylation cycle block and/or glutathione depletion. I recommend that this panel be run before deciding whether to consider treatment for lifting the methylation cycle block. I am not associated with the lab that offers this panel.

The panel costs $300 and requires an order from a physician or a chiropractor. The best way to order the panel is by fax, on your clinician’s letterhead.

Available from:

Vitamin Diagnostics, Inc.
    Rt. 35 & Industrial Drive
    Cliffwood Beach, NJ 07735
    Phone:+1 (732) 583-7773
    Fax: +1 (732) 583-7774)

Lab Director: Tapan Audhya, Ph.D.
    (usually at the lab on Tues. and Wed. from 1 to 3 p.m., Eastern time)

Dr. Audhya is willing to help clinicians with interpretation of the panel by phone, or you can make use of the following comments on interpretation:

6. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I did take grapeseed extract for awhile and didn't notice much difference. I take so many supplements I finally stopped it to save money.

I've just started taking acai berry, which muscle testing indicates is very good for me, and resveratrol (in addition to everything else).

But I know the thymex in particular is what boosted my immune system - such a relief!