How important are diet and lifestyle in health and disease?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ljimbo42, Oct 26, 2014.

1. ljimbo42

ljimbo42 Active Member

This is a 13 minute video that it explains how diet and lifestyle (epigenetics) changes genes and creates either health or disease and that these changes can be passed on from parents to children.

They also say that some of these epigenetic changes in the genes are not permanent and can be reversed by diet and lifestyle. About 3:25 seconds into the video they have two mice (genetically identical) with a gene (agouti gene) that determines fur color, obesity and predisposition to disease.

The mice fed a diet with plenty of methyl groups were gray in color and thin, because the methyl groups "methylated" the bad gene, turning it off. The other mice that didn't get the diet with methyl groups were very obese and their fur is yellow instead of gray, very unhealthy mice and much more predisposed to disease.

This is the power of methylation in health and disease! It is methylation that turns on good genes and off bad genes. Methylation also is critical for dna replication and repair. Which means if your methylation is impaired your body can't heal properly. Methylation is also crucial for removal of toxins from the body and a healthy immune system. If the cells of your immune system can't replicate fast enough because methylation is impaired then your immune system will be impaired and not able to fight off bacteria and viruses as it should.

There is so much to methylation it's mind boggling, these are just a few things it's is responsible for. They also give 2 examples of people with cancer being treated epigenetically and they both went into remission. One of the 2 was given 6 months to live and went into remission on epigenetic treatment! Very enlightening video, worth watching. All the best-Jim
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
    MurielElliott likes this.
  2. MurielElliott

MurielElliott Member

Making improvements when it comes to our diet and lifestyle can help reduce chronic diseases. Changes in the diet and lifestyle that may helpful include eating healthy foods, regular exercise and good habit. Thank you for sharing the video. It helps us a lot.
  3. IanH

IanH Active Member

RadioFM likes this.
  4. ljimbo42

ljimbo42 Active Member

Interesting study Ian. I have been taking 400 mg SAM-e for several months now and it is helping a lot. It has helped with cognition as well as other symptoms. I have cut back on the dosage a few times and each time my symptoms get worse within 1-3 days.

IBS gets worse as does fatigue, brain fog and fibro pain. Cutting back even 100 mg makes my symptoms dramatically worse. I think SAM-e is a very important supplement for CFS/FM.
  5. IanH

IanH Active Member

That is interesting that the symptom changes so directly after altering the dose.
    I know a number of people who do take it and all say it helps. I do not take it but I do take MTHF , NAC, B6, B12 and B2 all significant methyl donors. Maybe I should try the S.A.M too. I know many people with MCS cannot tolerate it along with NAC.
  6. ljimbo42

ljimbo42 Active Member

Ian- If you try SAM-e I would start at a very low dose, I would suggest 25 mg. You can always take more, but you can't take less once it's down the hatch.;)
    I started at a 200 mg dose and I think because my body was not use to that level of methyl groups I felt very anxious and hyper (overmethylated). Luckily I had heard that niacin, not niacinamide soaks up methyl groups and would relieve the anxiety quickly and it did.

If you try the SAM-e and get anxious, taking about 50 mg slow release niacin every 30-60 minutes until symptoms subside works like magic. The slow release form of niacin is recommended to prevent flushing. SAM-e is the primary methyl donor for the body.

Methylfolate and methylcobalamin convert homocystiene to methionine and methionine gets converted to SAM-e. So SAM-e is the bodies most direct methyl donor. There is a fairly common SNP in the Methionine adenosyltransferase enzyme gene that can limit the production of SAM-e from methionine.
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  7. RadioFM

RadioFM Active Member

Good info guys!

Yes, methylation support is a great long term strategy to maintaining wellness and detoxification. I feel that
    Oxidative damage may be the missing contributing factor in the mitochondrial dysfunction and pathogenesis of diseases we see today.

How important are diet and lifestyle in health and disease?

I feel diet is the key to long term recovery as these infections will always be apart of the equation. Protecting our mitochondria from infectious oxidative inflammation needs to be our first priority.

See more here:

Fibromyalgia/Lyme disease/Co-infections: Treatment options?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014