How is your blood pressure?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Musica, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Musica

Musica New Member

I have had a bit of a struggle with high blood pressure. Last time, my PCP said it is normal for it to vary, but mine varies WIDELY. He told me to keep track of my BP for a couple of weeks.

Not surprisingly, I found that it spikes when I am in more pain. Above 160, or even 170 once. Yet sometimes it can be almost down to 120. It may be lower after taking 50mg of a beta blocker for several days running, but I'm wondering how many docs keep track of blood pressure on patients who have chronic pain.

Do you take your BP daily? Do you find your BP rises substantially when you are in pain? How much does yours vary in the course of a day or two?
    [This Message was Edited on 12/20/2005]
  2. darude

darude New Member

Mine is high usually 165/110!!!! On meds and has gone down a bit but usually with pain spikes was 189/110 once when in severe pain at docs office. Ativan took it down for me to was onyl 120/80 then.
  3. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

High blood pressure runs in my family.I was fine until after yrs. of Imitrex injection use.That raises the blood pressure.So now I have to take a low dose of BP medicine.
  4. Solaris_Starr

Solaris_Starr New Member

Mine is always low, at timesl at it's so low I can't even get up I'm so dizzy and weak. I have P.O.T.S and Orthostatic Intolerance. My BP floats at 90/63 on average and goes below 80 many times. So I am at the other end of the spectrum. 120/80 is considered high BP for me by the doctors...??????? So I'm not sure what's normal.

Hugs
    Sandy
  5. Musica

Musica New Member

It's an interesting thought. LOW blood pressure can be fairly common in FM because it would relate to the orthostatic intolerance. However, if blood pressure can be HIGH with pain...where does that leave FMers? Are most people here at a happy medium because the low and high cancel each other out? This is getting confusing! LOL LOL

All I know is, I don't want high or erratic blooc pressure along with everything else. I am on CPAP, so you would think that would settle down the BP.
  6. GBHope

GBHope New Member

Mine is okay a lot of the time, but I still have orthostatic intolerance when I'm in a flare or fatigued. If I'm up to long, I can feel it trying to drop. It is very uncomfortable and you can feel it in your chest too. Right now since I am having a bout of hyperthyroidism, I have been taking Toprol XL 12.5 mg and that helps it stay more stable. Then you don't get the racing heart so much and it stays at a more mellow rate.

GBHope
  7. zoya19

zoya19 Guest

My blood pressure was always too low up until approx. 2 years ago. It started getting high. If anything it should have been normal as that is when I lost some weight and improved my eating habits. It spiked higher during pregnancy and was put on medications to keep it fairly normal. At the moment am still on blood pressure meds and the pressure is doing well.
  8. Musica

Musica New Member

GBDeb, I am on 50mg Toprol XL plus hydrochlorothiazide (diuretic). Hopefully I won't have to stay on it, but the short course before surgery wasn't enough. I was so glad to be getting OFF meds, but my BP was getting high enough sometimes that it was worrying me. So, I don't feel so bad about the beta blocker, I guess.

Nancy, you have so much to contribute, as usual! It is interesting that is IS normal for many FMer's to have BP be all over the place.

Of course, I still don't officially have FM! Rheumy has only hinted at being on a continuum, although in his last chart notes he said "early FM concept likely". Whatever he means by a "concept"! Anyway, I've obviously felt close enough to it that I'm still hanging around!

That was scary about your mom, and what a fine line it can be to treat for low or high BP. I know my rheumy and others focus on autonomic dysfunction, although I haven't really found much about it while googling. Not that relates to these diseases and is understandable!! :lol

I really do consider myself fortunate that the RA is controlled with meds. At least I don't have to worry about my joints being eaten up while they hurt, and the overlap of symptoms isn't so confusing. Still, sometimes I do think that if the RA is so controlled, it would be nice if I could feel correspondingly great...
  9. katykat24

katykat24 New Member

it is weird - even with my pcos (polycystic ovarian syndrome) - i'm supposed to have high blood pressure (and with my family history, too) - but I'm regularly at 105/60 or close to. When I drove the 2 hours home for a dr appt over thanksgiving, i went right to the dr office and it was 110/70 - stilly very low! I was in lots of pain from driving and very tired as well.