How long after approval letter does check usually come?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shalimac, Oct 16, 2005.

1. shalimac

shalimac New Member

Congrats to all who will be recieving SSDI. I have been routinely checking with my local SS rep as to the staus of my claim. Two weeks ago, she informed me that I had been approved...Yippee! She said that my notice of approval would arrive in about a week. I then called her and asked her for more specifics (retro, amount, etc.) She said that she could see on her system that they had not yet generated the letter of approval, so she would contact them to try to speed it up. It has now been two weeks, and I've heard nothing.
    Does anyone know if you recieve a letter and check at the same time, or if it takes weeks or months following the letter to recieve a check?
    (I understand that we're dealing with the government here, and speed is not their strenth!)
  2. katbird7

katbird7 New Member

I'm sorry I can't answer your questions, but I have some I would like to ask if it's okay. How long did it take you to be approved? and was it approved on fibro mainly? Sorry to be nosey, but I haven't heard from my claim either way. Thanks, Kat
  3. shalimac

shalimac New Member

Hi katbird7 I was unbelievably lucky. I applied July 5 and was approved in late September. I do have other conditions:15 years of restless leg syndrome, sleep apnea, huge unrepairable post surgical abdominal hernia, lymes,fibromyalgia, IBS, and probably others that I am not thinking of right now.
    I've been to surgeons, general practice, rheumatologist, immunologist, sleep studies, etc. While I don't yet know which of the problems was the deciding factor, I do believe that the surgeons at the Mayo Clinic were the primary reason, simply because their reputation makes them very credible (internationally). Frankly, I would have been surprised if they had questioned the Mayo MDs.
    I understand that having multiple conditions certainly increases your chances for approval.
    Hang in there, Kat, the right doctor can make all of the difference!
    Prayers for you.