how long before 5 HTP helped you sleep

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sallys, Jun 20, 2006.

1. sallys

sallys New Member

I've had chronic problems with fatigue and i was waking many many times at night.
    someone suggested i take 5 HTP

I took it 2 months ago for few weeks and it seemed to help me at least not wake so often.

a week ago i got some more but even while taking it i cant seem to sleep. I tried taking it during the day, but that didn't make a difference.

i'm hoping it will take time to work to get better sleep and therefore help this fatigue

any experiences from yourselves would be appreciated.

sallys
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Sally -

5-htp helped me almost immediately sleep better. It worked best for me when I took it in the morning. It's important to take on an empty stomach. I take 100 mg. a day.

But, there are other things I've had to do to sleep well. One of the most important was getting my cortisol levels checked. They were high, and that was causing middle of the night insomnia. I started taking Seriphos and that helped a great deal. I found it was very important to take the Seriphos in the morning. It screwed my sleep cycles even worse when I took it at night. I take it on an empty stomach too. But you should not take Seriphos unless you know your cortisol is high, otherwise it can go too low.

Calcium and magnesium are also very important for sleep.

You should have your adrenals checked. If they are low or weak, this can cause severe fatigue. Adrenal glandulars can help a lot with this.

I hope this helps --

Mary
  3. sallys

sallys New Member

and will carry on for a few more days with the 5 HTP and see if i eventually sleep.

its really hard being fatigued but unable to even fall asleep.

sally
  4. Tantallon

Tantallon New Member

Hiya Sallys,

I take mine at night 50mg, and it started working within a couple of days. Took 100mg once but I felt more alert with that dose.

I should also add that I take at night 365mg of magnesium, an evening primrose cap, 1000 strength, and valerian mixture with passionflower and hops, 3 tabs a night also zinc 15mg and one garlic caps high strength.

I know it's a lot but it seems to work for me in keeping me asleep without waking during the night.

Hope this helps
    Sue
  5. elliespad

elliespad Member

I am a 5 year L-Tryptophan user. Even though Tryptophan can be converted into 5HTP, and is one step closer to Seratonin, there are other co-factors required for conversion to Seratonin. I will cut and paste that below. Even though 5HTP and L-Tryptophan are both useful for sleep, anxiety, depress, obsessive-compulsive disorder, I have read that the 5HTP is more helpful to PEOPLE who want to adress MOOD, as a dominant feature. If one is using them primarily for SLEEP, the Tryptophan seems to work better. I found this to be true for me, as 5HTP never did much/if anything for my sleep. It is always necessary to take B-6 with either of these.

Below is a blurb I cut and paste.
    Tryptophan is often given with vitamin B6 and magnesium away from meals with a small amount of carbohydrate to facilitate uptake by the brain. To aid in sleep, much of the dose is given before going to bed. If more of a daytime action is being sought, the bulk can be given in the morning. Tryptophan is metabolized into niacin, melatonin and serotonin and has relaxing and calming effects.

5HTP (5-hydroxy tryptophan) is considered by many to be more effective than tryptophan for depression. L-Tryptophan (which is the desired form) is converted to 5HTP before becoming serotonin; taking 5HTP bypasses this first step of the process. The effectiveness of 5HTP may be increased with gingko biloba, St. John's Wort, B-complex vitamins with magnesium, tyrosine, flax seed oil, and ginger. Vitamin B6 and folic acid may assist in the conversion to serotonin. An equivalent dose of 5HTP (compared to 1gm of tryptophan) is about 100mg. Doses of 100mg tid have been used, but it may be best to start at a lower dose and slowly increase as the side-effect of nausea can occur at higher doses. Starting at a lower dose reduces the likelihood of nausea, which usually disappears in less than 2 weeks.

Chromium picolinate helps to promote conversion of tryptophan to serotonin. It accomplishes this by facilitating absorption into muscle tissue of the amino acids that compete with tryptophan for access to the brain.

For depression, 1000-1500mg bid raises serotonin levels but it may take 2 weeks to produce results. If a patient has insomnia along with depression then tryptophan would appear to be even more effective, possibly because both conditions may be due to this deficiency. Care must be taken when using more that one anti-depressant at the same time; a doctor's supervision should be sought when considering switching or combining depression medications.

[This Message was Edited on 06/21/2006]