HOW LONG BEFORE THE NEUROTIN KICKS IN FOR PAIN

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CATLADY912, Jan 28, 2003.

1. CATLADY912

CATLADY912 New Member

I JUST STARTED TO TAKE THE NEUROTIN 100MG YESTERDAY. I TOOK TWO DOSES YESTERDAY AND ONE SO FAR TODAY. HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE FOR THE NEUROTIN TO KICK IN AND HELP THE PAIN ALL OVER.MY DAU-IN-LAW WAS ADMITTED YESTERDAY TO DRUG REHAB AGAIN FOR HER ADDICTION TO PAIN MEDS, SO NOW MY SON IS STAYING HERE WITH HIS TWO CHILDREN. ONE IS 3 AND 1/2 YRS. OLD AND THE OTHER IS 4 MONTHS OLD AND MY BACK IS KILLING ME. HE GOES TO SCHOOL EVERY DAY TILL 1PM AND WILL BE STARTING A NEW JOB WHERE HE WILL WORK FROM 10PM TILL 6AM. THERE IS ALLOT OF FRICTION BETWEEN HIM AND HIS IN LAWS AS THEY DO NOT LIKE HIM BECAUSE HE IS NOT A LAWYER , DOCTOR, OR INDIAN CHIEF AS THE SAYING GOES, SO I WILL MOSTLY HAVE THE CARE OF MY GRANDCHILDREN. ALSO HIS IN LAWS WORK DURING THE DAY. I HAVE CALLED MY MOTHER TO COME OVER AND HELP, BUT STILL WOULD LIKE TO THINK THE NEUROTIN WILL KICK IN SOON A LONG WITH MY PAIN MEDS. THE LAST TIME SHE WAS IN DRUG REHAB SHE WAS THERE FOR 8 WKS. I DON'T KNOW IF I CAN HANDLE IT AGAIN NOW THAT THERE IS TWO BABIES AND I NOW HAVE THIS FIBRO MESS. THANK GOD THE BABY IS A GOOD BABY. BUT BACK TO MY QUESTION. DOES NEUROTIN TAKE LONG TO KICK IN. THANKS/ JANICE
  2. pamela

pamela New Member

I just started Neurontin a few weeks ago. They told me to take 300 mg.s at night. Then also in the day work up to 300 mg.s in the a.m. and 300 mg.s in the afternoon. I can't get past 1-2 morning and afternoon. It really makes me sleepy but I have noticed the more you take the better it works. Call your Doc. and ask for increase if you want to try that. You have to be consistant w/ it. That's the trick. And take it each day at the same time1!!! Since I work I make myself take it but only 1-2 each time i'm suppost to except at night. That's when I can rest and not have to worry about side affects. Loce Pamela
  3. VickyB

VickyB New Member

I take 400 mgs. at night and take 100mgs during the day because it makes me sleepy. It took about 2 weeks for it to kick in for me and it can take 4 weeks, just like an antidepressant. Good luck to you, I have a 4 year old and she wears me out, plus I have a l3yr. old and 11 yr.old, thank goodness for school but I love them to pieces.
    Good luck again!!! Do you have some lidocaine creme to help with the pain, I put mine on trigger points to numb the pain.
    Vicky
  4. Bree

Bree New Member

DEAR JANICE......IF EVER YOU WANT TO VENT? arden100533@aol.com
    NOW THEN...........I HAD BURNING FEET FOR FOUR YEARS.....

I WAS PUT ON "NEURONTIN"......THE HIGHEST DOSE IS = 900 MG
    A DAY..........SO??? I TAKE ONE IN THE MORNING ( 300 MG)
    AND TWO AT NIGHT!!!!!
    IF I CAN REMEMBER? IT MAY TAKE UP TO THREE WEEKS TO START DOING IT'S JOB........

TRUST ME WHEN I TELL YOU THIS MEDICINE W O R K S......
    I HATE TO SEE ANYONE IN PAIN.....AND? WHEN YOU TAKE THIS DOSAGE? ALLOW 3 WEEKS..... I AM GUESSING AS I DO NOT REMEMEBR)BE PATIENT.......I PROMISE YOU IT WILL WORK UNLESS YOU HAVE SOMETHING ELSE WRONG WITH YOU!!!

MUCH LUCK,
    BLESSINGS,
    BREE
    LAKELAND, FL.
  5. CATLADY912

CATLADY912 New Member

I HAVE NO LIDOICANE CREME. CAN YOU BUY THAT OVER THE COUNTER OR DO YOU NEED A RX FOR IT. JANICE
  6. Kimba

Kimba New Member

Neurontin is not really a painkiller; it is an anti-seizure medicine that has a side effect to help stop nerve pain. You are on a low dosage. When I started Neurontin is took about two weeks for it to kick in, but I was ramping up to 1800 mg. I take 1 600-mg pill three times a day. The first month I was on it was pure HE**. You should monitor your pain and fatigue in a book so you will know if you can ramp up to a higher dose if you need to.

Neurontin takes 4 days to get into your system so you should look for relief between 1 to 2 weeks. I don't mean to be invasive but the only way any of your meds are going to work correctly is if you take some quiet time for yourself (15 - 30 minute a day) a book, music, stretching, whatever you like, but it has to be quiet and it has to be for you. That is when the drugs will kick it the best.

My best to you
    Blessed Be
    Kimba

7. VickyB

VickyB New Member

Lidocaine creme is a prescription medication which is the only way my insurance company will pay. But alot of people on this site use lidocaine patches and they say they last longer, so if you can get your doctor and insurance company to pay for this products, I would get the patches because I have to wait for the creme to dry so that it doesn't rub off.
    BREE: JUST CURIOUS-WHO TOLD YOU THAT YOU CAN ONLY TAKE 900MGS. OF NEUROTIN A DAY BECAUSE ALOT OF OTHERS ON THIS SITE TAKE ALOT MORE THAN THAT.
    Good luck Janice, Vicky
  8. CATLADY912

CATLADY912 New Member

THANK YOU VICKY FOR YOUR INSIGHT. I DON'T REMEMBER IF SOMEONE TOLD ME I COULD ONLY TAKE UP TO 900MG A DAY OR IF I READ IT. BY TAKING THE 100MG, THREE TIMES A DAY WILL I BE ABLE TO WORK MYSELF UP TO HIGHER DOSE WITHOUT THE SIDE EFFECTS THAT I GET NOW WHEN I TRY 300MG,I STARTED OUT FIRST WITH 300MG TI.D. BUT IT SPACED ME OT AND I COULD NOT FUNCTION AND SOMEONE TOLD ME TO START AT 100MG A DAY AND WORK MYSELF UP AND THAT WAYI WOULD NOT GET THE SIDE EFFECTS I GET NOW. IS THIS CORRECT?

JANICE