How long before this Ambien kicks in?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CatsKimber, Oct 11, 2005.

1. CatsKimber

CatsKimber New Member

Well, I can't believe it. I haven't slept in two nights. I took my first Ambien over and hour ago and I'm still wide awake... nothing at all yet. I'm starting to be afraid I'm in for yet another sleepness night... I can't take another night without sleep. I didn't have a problem with sleep until my doc started prescribing sleeping pills! When will I learn to stay away from doctors???

UPDATE: ok, now it's been over 2 hours. still not sleepy. i'm so exhausted, but wide awake. this is a nightmare![This Message was Edited on 10/11/2005]

I wonder if i should take another one????[This Message was Edited on 10/11/2005]
  2. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

Most of the time when I take Ambien it knock me right out.Pamelor(amitripiline)which works great on a lot of people makes me feel like i've drunk 3 cups of coffee.It really keeps me awake.If it doesn't work,let your doctor know so that he can try something else
  3. PVLady

PVLady New Member

When my insomnia started I was taking Ambien and it was not working too well. I decided to take a "small amount" of Klonopin early in the evening to help wind down.

I took 1/4 of a 5 mg tablet of Klonopin around 8pm, then took 5 mg of Ambien at 10 pm. It worked and I slept all night. I read alot about Klonopin here so I asked my doctor if I could try it.

He was reluctant but agreed to let me try it. I only had to take the Klonopin for a couple of weeks and was able to go back to Ambien only.

I am very sensitive to meds so I had to take a very small amount of Klonopin and was still tired the next day.

Good luck...
  4. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

I tried that, and.....NOTHING, Ambien did not do a thing for me, it actually felt like it was keeping me awake.
    I know it works for some people but like someone else said, we are all so different so it's a trial and error thing.

Also keep in mind that you are winding yourself up because you can't sleep, and the less sleep you get the more stressed out you get about it, it's a vicious circle and I know it's very hard not to feel frustrated and angry and tired of being tired, but you have got to relax.

Do breathing exercises and clear your mind, this will not necessarily make you sleep but it will help you to relax which is the first step. If you have not already tried Klonopin read the article in the library by Dr. Paul Cheney.
    I know how horrible insomnia is and I hope you find a solution soon!

Phoebe
  5. twister425

twister425 New Member

My dr. put me on ambien cr yesterday. I took it last night and felt the same way. after 2 hours I took an atarax (doc prescribed that first.didnt work ) Doc said I could use both if needed. well that put me to sleep. But I'm having major pain and numbness in my right thigh so that did wake me up a few time.

My Mom has taken ambien for years.when she first started if she didnt get to bed fast enough forget it some one had to carry her. my sisters and i have had many laughs at my moms expense because she was out of it.

good luck I hope you get some sleep!
  6. twister425

twister425 New Member

My dr. put me on ambien cr yesterday. I took it last night and felt the same way. after 2 hours I took an atarax (doc prescribed that first.didnt work ) Doc said I could use both if needed. well that put me to sleep. But I'm having major pain and numbness in my right thigh so that did wake me up a few time.

My Mom has taken ambien for years.when she first started if she didnt get to bed fast enough forget it some one had to carry her. my sisters and i have had many laughs at my moms expense because she was out of it.

good luck I hope you get some sleep!
  7. JPach007

JPach007 New Member

Did you get some sleep finally?
    The Ambien kicked in the very first night for me. (If I remember right!)