How long can Herxheimer effect last?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by suetimestwo, Oct 4, 2002.

1. suetimestwo

suetimestwo New Member

New to the board and want to thank you all for writing and sharing your lives with us. I have had cfs for 12 yrs and finally hit bottom. My partner found Dr. Crooks book Tired So Tired and it really hit home. My doctor put me on ketoconazole to kill the yeasties but the die off is killing me. It's been 8 days now and I feel worse then ever. How long can the die off last?
  2. suetimestwo

suetimestwo New Member

New to the board and want to thank you all for writing and sharing your lives with us. I have had cfs for 12 yrs and finally hit bottom. My partner found Dr. Crooks book Tired So Tired and it really hit home. My doctor put me on ketoconazole to kill the yeasties but the die off is killing me. It's been 8 days now and I feel worse then ever. How long can the die off last?
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Dear Sue,

Eight days is a long Herx effect, but they can last two weeks or longer. Be sure to drink tons of water to help your body flush out the dead beasties as fast as possible. Also, get plenty of rest; you body is being poisoned by the toxins.

The good news is that the level of Herx is indicitive of the number of wee beasties which are being eliminated. It has to get worse before it can get better.

Love, Mikie