How long could you go without a computer?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Apr 17, 2008.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Just curious.

This is the question that a new film documentary, "Disconnected," poses. Haven't seen the film, but I'm curious how we in the FM/CFS/ME community would respond.

2. sisland

sisland New Member

You must be reading my mind!,,,lol! This thought accured to me earlier today,,,,That i should spend less time on the P.C.,,,,,,

if i had a job going on and or something to look forward to everyday that didn't involve the computer i think i could go without it for a long time,,,Maybe up to a week or 2,,,,,,,,,but probably not indefinetly,,,,,,,Sis
  3. poets

poets Member

As long as I hadn't made a bid on Ebay! ;o)
  4. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

About 5 minutes, then I'm stealing hubby's laptop and taking it over until I get a new one...

Seriously, it's how I start my day, spend my day and finish my day....

5. stick2013

stick2013 Member

As it connects me to the world... LOL!!!!! I have very few physical friends, and the phone never rings...So it's log on!!!!!!!
  6. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I had a few days between the demise of my laptop and connection of my new computer and it was unpleasant, I felt like a part of me had gone.

Well it had, this is my contact to the world.

As with most of us, I had no idea what was happening to me when I first became ill. I have learned almost everything online. I hate to think what state of mind I'd be in if I had only doctors to rely on for information.

[This Message was Edited on 04/18/2008]
  7. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member is what I mainly use the puter for and it makes my life so worthwhile-I listen to British Radio on it. If I had some other means of listening to the radio without a puter-and maybe there already is one, then I would not really miss it. In fact, for 8 mths I could hardly use this one, but still got the radio!

Of course, if we could afford to go back and live in Britain, then I would not need one at all-I like writing snail mails.

However, I know for some they are a complete lifesaver.

8. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

Well, if I HAD to, I could live without indefinately. I can do anything if I HAVE to. But just like Nancy, I practically live on this thing! It's the first thing I do in the mornings and it rarely gets turned off untill I go to bed. It is a lifesaver for me because like Rosie has just said, I would not have known anything about this dd without it.

I'll admit, though, that I'm a bit embarrassed about my constant use of it. But what else can you do when you barely get out of the house and never have visitors? Oh well.....
  9. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

is how I feel some days.

Guess we'd all survive if we had too, as kathleen says. I had to go w/o mine most of yesterday.

Part of the computer wanted to install an update and the antivirus didn't want it to. Consequently the stupid thing wouldn't work at all. I felt like someone dragged into a civil war in a foreign country.

10. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

Nope, can't do it..........
  11. Khalyal

Khalyal New Member

It's like being kicked out of my house. I live here in cyberspace where I can still function like a Normal.
  12. victoria

victoria New Member

much more entertaining than TV!!!!!

13. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Forever. Did you see Oprah yesterday? It was about a family that was so immersed in their "toys" plus were very wasteful.

Their 5 year old son was on computer games from 4-5 hours a day! When they pulled the plug he was like a drug addict, hysterical, roaming from room to room.

About three days later, the entire family was transformed. They were doing things together. Even the husband and wife were closer. No more tv in the bedroom.

If I did not have to run a business and check email, I honestly believe I could forget the computer. I love it because it is like having all the world's knowledge at your fingertips. It should not take the place of interacting with your family.

During the evening, when I would come home, my husband used to have his laptop computer on for hours. I finally told him it did not matter if I came home or not if he was going to ignore me.

We both spend quiet time every night, either reading, baking together (he was a chef before), or talking about everything.

He is truly my soulmate, best friend, and the most interesting person I have ever known.
  14. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

I think I could go indefinitely. I've only had my computer since September 2007. I like it. But, I did okay before I had one and I'd do okay again.

I'd read more. Much more! I don't even read the newspaper anymore. And I'd have 2 or 3 books going.

I find it takes very little for me to be content in life. I could live without my puter.

15. victoria

victoria New Member

I don't know what I would do, even tho I don't want to be on 24/7 ...

it's turned out to be a great way to stay in touch with friends, get support such as at prohealth, and most of all, RESEARCH.

Without the internet, I would not have known about lyme and gotten my son dx'd, for one... much less have found a good doctor.

I remember being so dependent on booksellers to carry the latest book hopefully that just might have info I wanted, whether for art supplies or health concerns to you-name-it...

TG for Amazon and google and --- etc!!!!

Major part of my time on the internet is for looking up stuff that I need to know... or helping others.

Interestingly, my kids (20 & 24) do NOT spend much time online at all, never have!

16. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

I could probably last a month or two, as long as I was on vacation and didn't have access to a computer, or on a camping trip, as long as I was around people and fun activities. And I couldn't go without a phone or using someone else's phone, as long as I was without my computer.

17. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Not long ago my son said to me that he couldn't "live without his cell phone". And he was serious! Now, I understand appreciating the convenience and wanting one if it helps you on your job but I don't understand "not being able to live without one". Maybe that makes me old....

My son compared his feeling about his cell phone to me and my computer. I'd miss it a lot since most of my friends live in it but I could live without one if I had to! Good heavens, we NEED food, air to breath, shelter, water, the ability to stay warm or cool and it's helpful to have people to love and who love you, but as for "living without" some things like technical devices, we could do what we had to do.

Unfortunately many families are losing track of what family dynamics are all about, so focused are they all on something that has buttons. I think this film will be very interesting.

Marta, who remembers back when.
  18. sisland

sisland New Member

My Girls all have Cells and no home phones at their homes,,,sounds weird to me!,,,now they even have phone's that are voice activated,,,,,,I feel like i could go indefinetly without any tech devices aslong as i have a Vehichel,,,,,,,lolol,,,,,

Our ancesters didn't have phones or Computers or TV.s and they all go by just fine,,,,My Dad tells stories of them just loading up the Horse and buggy and going to Visit their Friends and Neighbors alot,,,and there was a Standing Invitation back in thoes times,,,,,,,oh' the good ole days!,,,,,,,Sis
    [This Message was Edited on 04/19/2008]
  19. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

I suppose I could do without it IF I really had to as I like to write letters to people and such. Howver, it has been so helpful to me in many ways - in my genealogy research for one. I even founds some relatives that way.

It is also a great way to contact people and cheaper than stamps. I would REALLY miss my friends on the PH Boards for one thing and my DH is very involved with the Knights of Columbus. He and others would have had to do alot more phone calling and writing letters, for sure.

Yes, I think people cn get addicted to it and spend to much time on it at times. I know I would really miss it and have gotten lots of info about these DD's and other things really fast plus my genealogy research.

I guess I am skirting the question or should I say answer. MAYBE A WEEK OR TWO OR A MONTH. I am still pretty active so I can get out and see others unlike some of you all.

All things said I am sure I could get used to it but I sure would miss the support from those on these boards who have been such a support, especially since lots of people don't really believe in or know much about these DD's.

Another thing is I have found there is very little on TV I care to see. Sorry TV lovers (-: !!

VICTORIA - I think you said almost the same thing. I wouldn't miss TV most of the time if it were taken away - alot of junk to me . Yes there are a few good programs and things but sometimes ata night to I am out to singing practice of some sort.

Blessings to youall,

20. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

When one of our relatives is ill such as my cousin's son, who passed from cancer at a young age, she would type updates to all the family throughout the states. My other cousin and my family did the same when we had ill parents.

It not only keeps everyone informed, it helps the person going through it to write each day and share their emotions.

My sisters, friends and my kids and I don't like to hang on the phone, but we write each day to one another. If I think of something I want to say quickly, I'll type it in email and they usually are at their desks and respond right away. It's so much easier!

I was planning a family get-together and I would just email what I needed to say and "reply all" and everyone would do the same with what they were bringing and what time-frame was ok for everyone.

I feel I am MORE in touch with people today than before I had a computer and it's so much easier instead of having to call each one separately and be expected to hang on the phone.