How Long did it take to receive disability?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LongStruggle, Feb 9, 2007.

1. LongStruggle

LongStruggle Guest

For those who have gotten disability, how long did it take you to get it when you had a supportive doctor? I'm familiar with people applying for disability but do not have doctors to back them up. In KY the response will automatically be negative. Our own opinion of our ability to function doesn't count.
  2. swedeboy

swedeboy Member

I applied in January and I was approved in August. I live in California and I recieve SSDI and SSI. My previous doctor wrote a compelling letter to SSA. The letter cost over $200 because it took over an hour of my Doctors time to write it. I have many posts on SSI/SSDI if you check my profile of past posts.

3. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

I was very fortunate with ss. I left work August 2006 and was approved by January for bennies to start Feb and payment begins end of March.

I completed the app on line. Hand delivered a couple of docs to the ss office. Also had to complete a form from Dept of Assitive & Rehabilitative Services.

Since I knew from 1988 I had FM and docs didn't understand it I had saved all medical receipts which I copied for ss. I was diagnosed late 1990's.

When I answered the myriad of questions I took note of other peoples posts on here. Describing job functions and why I was unable to do them.

As for my long time disability at work it has not been approved yet. The companies broker's are advocating for me.

Hope you receive quick approval,
    Susan07
  4. minkanyrose

minkanyrose New Member

I applied in sept 2003 started receiving benifits Dec 2005. hope you are approved soon.

denied twice got a lawyer.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/10/2007]
  5. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

I applied in 2005 and finally after 3 denials in 2007 I got approved, always get your Dr's records and get him/her to help you , I just cannot believe how hard it is to get disability, just don't give up and just fight fight fight.

love to all, Ann
  6. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

I applied in July 06 and was approved in Sept. 06.
    Mini
  7. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

decision in Nov of 2006. But I did not go it alone. I know there are those here who have gotten it on their own but I do not recommend it. Im in Tennessee so not too far from you. I worked for metro govt and first I had to get approved for pension disability from them. That took a few mths. I think that imput helped later with the judge.

I had an advocate hired by my job to help me. I lucked out, she had worked at social security for 16 yrs turning down people until she finally said she couldnt take it anymore turning down people who needed it.

It takes alot of patience and alot of waiting along with great drs who are willing to help you. I had my primary dr, 3 rheumotologists,an orthopedic dr, a neurologist, and a psycologist that I saw and they wrote favorable letters for me. When I saw the SSD dr, he told me to go to every dr I had seen since being diagnosed and if they didnt write a letter to call or go and see them and say"do you want to be the reason I dont get my disability" The psychriatrist from SSD also liked me and told me if I didnt get approved to immediately appeal. My advocate said every duck was in a row and she knew I would get approved.

May God bless you on this journey. I think I got my SSD on the depression but I dont care. I couldnt stop crying the day I got the news. I called my sister and she thought someone had died, so when you get approved, try to mop up the tears before calling those who have stood behind you!!

Suzette
  8. LongStruggle

LongStruggle Guest

To Desertsage: was your good medical documentation there from the start or did you have it trickle in over time.

Everyone: it would also be helpful to know what state you got it from. Also, did you get an attorney immediately or did you wait until the first turn down.
  9. LongStruggle

LongStruggle Guest

I don't understand when you said that you got your disability, but you still haven't gotten your work disability. What do you mean? What kind of disability was already approved?
  10. LongStruggle

LongStruggle Guest

Somebody said that they addressed the ability to perform on a job and they listed several job functions. I know that this is important from what I know about disability. I just thought if I put out my own letter re: inability to perform on various job functions, maybe I could get my doctors to sign it as well.
  11. LongStruggle

LongStruggle Guest

12. Clay2

Clay2 New Member

I'm curious how old you all are. I hear it's a lot easier to get SSDI as you get older.
  13. LongStruggle

LongStruggle Guest

14. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

LongStruggle wrote: "I don't understand when you said that you got your disability, but you still haven't gotten your work disability. What do you mean? What kind of disability was already approved? "

Reply:
    My social security was approved but the long term disability at work was denied. I am having to appeal and the insurance brokers at my work are advocating for me.

I thing the work LTD was waiting to see what social security would do but because they had already denied they couldn't just approve without me doing the appeal!

Weird huh?

By the way I am in Texas.

Take care,
    Susan07
  15. padre

padre New Member

suzette1954 had a similar experience to mine. Although I applied for disability with my pension plan and they denied me. My primary physician had been working with me with two other doctors and got really angry at my pension plan. He is the local Medical Examiner.

He made it a project and got support from the other doctors. (They did not charge me anything.) My pension board gave me disability retroactively and then immediately hired a company to get me on SSDI. The pension wanted out and were willing to pay for it. I got SSDI in three months start to finish.

My pension disability was tax free while SSDI is taxed because my wife works. It ended up that I lost money being on SSDI. Now my pension plan is moving me to Medicare and I will have to pay co-pays on prescriptions at about $300 a month.

All the while I'd rather work, but my doctors will not sign off even for part-time as they want to save me from the stress. I think my story is unique as my doctor really went to bat.
  16. JLH

JLH New Member

I live in KY.

From the time I applied, until the time I received my letter stating that I was approved, it was only 4 months!

I received SSDI on my FIRST try and I did it myself--no lawyer involved.

My application was also selected by a computer for a random audit at the Soc Soc office and even had to go to Atlanta to be audited.

I was amazed at the turnaround! My application for SSDI was for many major illnesses (see my bio).

Hugs,
    Janet
  17. LongStruggle

LongStruggle Guest

The key thing here to know is how difficult and time consuming it was for you to get disability if your primary reason is for CFS or FM. Those that got their disability on other things as well, please still let us know.
  18. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

SSDI approved for: fibromyalgia, myalgia, fatigue
    Started: Sept '06
    Approved: Jan '07
    Type of work: sendentary desk job

LTD not approved, insurance broker is advocating for me and many, many people are praying for this approval.

19. brensjoy

brensjoy New Member

I am new 2 the board. It took me exactly 6 months. I filed my own papers and did not use a lawyer.I tell everyone Jesus was my lawyer, I had to see their doctors and believe it or not if their doctors determine u r disabled u will probably get it on your first try.
  20. Myla57

Myla57 New Member

I live in Ky. I applied in July 2005 and have been turned down twice. I am awaiting a date to go before the board. I have an advocate helping me. I have letters from neurologist, rheumotologist, Primary Care,and a Psychiatrist. I also have the State Representative from my district helping. I have fibro, migraines, bi-polar depression, and an un-known neurological condition that causes spasticity and hyper reflexia. I am 49, will be 50 in May. I worked for the state for 15 years but have been denied my retirement which means I can't get it until I'm 55. Their main reason for denial was that my bi-polar was pre-existing which it was. My advocate says I should get my disability if I ever get a hearing. There is no rhyme or reason in this endeavor. Some get it and some don't. I truly believe they pull names out of a hat. Good luck to all of us and congratulations to the lucky.