how long did you wait to file for SSDI

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jaynesez, Jun 29, 2009.

1. jaynesez

jaynesez New Member

from the time you quit work? Most say five months, but with a potential two year wait, has anyone filed right away? Or did you wait the five months or longer? I'm still working but just don't know for how much longer. Thanks for any information that can help!
  2. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

Hi Jayne, you should file within the first year that you stop working so that you don't lose any benefits. I believe you can file anytime once it is determined that you will be off work for at least 12 months. They do not pay the first 5 months in which it is determined that you are disabled.

They have some really great info on the tab labeled "disability, or filing for disability", something like Also some really great websites listed there as well.

It took me about 2 1/2 years from filing date to hearing date. I won on the record:) need to have support from your doctor because he/she will be filling out a lot of paperwork on your behalf.

Good Luck,
  3. Rockismom

Rockismom New Member

I have a friend who stopped working in September, filed immediately and started receiving her SSD check in January! just never knows!

Good luck and God Bless,
  4. mysticbrit

mysticbrit New Member

After my Dr. and I agreed that I'd given it my best shot but working even part time was no longer possible for me I gave notice and quit my job. Trust me, it was a major leap of faith for hubby and I because we truly needed my income. The company I worked for was wonderful, excusing my absenses, knowing that I be there if I could, but my body was no longer willing to perform even the gentlest of duties.

I filed for our company's LTD and SSD at the same time, within 2 weeks of stopping working. I was denied the LTD but approved for the SSD right away and was receiving monthly checks within 6 months from my last day of work. My first SS check included back pay to include the waiting period.

There are many variables, every situation is different. Read thru the sticky at the top of the page and you should get lots of great info. You can also research the SS website for help.

Listen to your body and talk to your doctor (as someone already mentioned, he/she will be filling out a lot of forms for you so you need to be on the same page).

I don't know what you do for a living but just dragging my miserable body out of bed at 6 a.m. every morning zapped every ounce of energy I had gained while sleeping. I had nothing left to give my employer. I remember crying while I was getting dressed and zipping my coffee, trying to talk myself into feeling well enough to leave the house when all I wanted was to pop a couple pain pills and crawl back in bed.

Wishing you the best of luck if you decide to make the leap, but also tons of support if you aren't ready to risk it yet.

5. jaynesez

jaynesez New Member

help ladies; I've read Scott Davis' website and have tried to read through the SSDI posts at the top (it's very long, my brain freezes) but now I know where the five month period came in, you don't get it for that first five months. Some websites say file immediatley, some say wait six months. I'm an admin assistant at a very busy and stressful job and it is literally killing me. I have no other life except work, and my muscles are getting worse because when I get home I'm in too much pain to exercise, and since I can barely get up in the morning I can't do it then. I'd like to take a few years to try and get a little healthier. Thanks for sharing your stories, it just seems silly to wait when the wait is usually so long. I can assure you all that with my luck I'll be in the two year catergory :) thanks again for sharing.
    Heres to hoping for better days!