How long do you use your tens unit

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Charleen, May 9, 2006.

1. Charleen

Charleen New Member

I just got my tens unit! But doc didn't tell me how long to use it at a time. Can anyone give me advice as how long to use it at one time.
    It is suppose to be used for my fibro.
    Thank you
    Charleen
  2. msmac

msmac New Member

Usually 15-20 minutes, 4-5 times a day. Mine shuts off automatically, maybe it was set for that time frame. You know not to place electrodes over bones, only over muscle, right? Yell if you need help! I have been using them for over 15 years.
  3. kriket

kriket New Member

Where can you buy one at? Someone let me know please.

Thanks-Kriket
  4. jakeg

jakeg New Member

I use mine for a 1/2 hr every other day. My PT said average time should not exceed 1 hr. Also you should not be moving around alot when using these devices.

Placement of the pads is also important. Always place them at different spots in the locations that seem to help you the best. My shoulders are all ways the worst so I use mine there but don't put the pads at the same spot.

Also start off with the setting as low as possible, I use number 3 on mine. You should be using a setting that while adjusting you feel the current and stop. Take note of the number and use that always.

Your body can become used to these devices rendering them useless in time, so always use the smallest setting possible to prevent this. They also should be set to be constant, do not use pulse or mixed mode. These setting are used to tense you muscles and then relax when they stop sending the pulse. Like exercising the muscle, and can lead to a flare if used in ether of these modes.

If you need any more info let me know and if I can help I will. They are great devices for temporary relief as long as they are not over used.

I don't know if you can just buy these in the US. Mine has a warning on it that they can only be purchased with a script from your doc. These devices can be very dangerous if used improperly.

Take Care

Jake
    [This Message was Edited on 05/10/2006]
  5. jakeg

jakeg New Member

for charleen to see