How Long Do Your Flares Last?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Newswoman, Nov 25, 2002.

1. Newswoman

Newswoman New Member

I'm in the midst of another flare-up. So far, it has lasted more than two months. My last one (I hadn't been diagnosed until April), last for nearly six months.

Is there an average amount of time? What factors contribute to the length of your flare-up? Is it diet, not taking your meds, or physical exertion?
  2. Newswoman

Newswoman New Member

I'm in the midst of another flare-up. So far, it has lasted more than two months. My last one (I hadn't been diagnosed until April), last for nearly six months.

Is there an average amount of time? What factors contribute to the length of your flare-up? Is it diet, not taking your meds, or physical exertion?
  3. catgal

catgal New Member

Hello Newswoman~~Flares are so unpredictable that it is a major part of our problem. For me, I find that going too strong for too long takes a heavy toll on me rather than diet or anything else.

Along with FM & CFS, I have arthritis and degenerative disc disease with 3 discs gone and other back problems. I work 3 days a week, have a mate, home, and 6 animals to care for, and I find that not getting quality sleep, stress, and not resting enough have alot to do with how severe and how long a flare lasts for me.

I have medications I take for my back which also help with the FM, and I take Enada for the CFS which helps alot--but when my back hurts real bad--it will also trigger an FM flare. Rest, de-stressing, and getting good sleep help me the most. I kept a journal for many years to chart a pattern in the severity and duration of my flares to see if there was anything in particular that provoked a worse or longer flare, and the main corralation I found for me was not taking regular time outs to rest and relax. I thought if I was feeling fairly decent I didn't need to "stop", but then later it on it would catch up with me, and I would have some severe and long flares. When I started taking time out every day for some sort of rest & relaxation, I noticed I didn't have so many bad flares, and they didn't last as long.

Hope you get to feeling better soon.

[ advertisement ]