How long do your vertigo attacks last?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TXPeach, Jun 2, 2008.

1. TXPeach

TXPeach New Member

Hello everyone,
    I am once again posting about vertigo because I am beginning to get worried.

I have positional vertigo. If I look up or down or if I lay down without propping my head up the room starts spinning like crazy.

I have had this for 2 months now and am getting worried. I've had numerous CT scans and MRI's, all have come back normal.

Dr. says it has to run its course. I still can't help but worry. Has anyone else had this and for how long has yours lasted?

I am always thinking the worst. I wish I wouldn't do this. I guess what I am needing is to know if there is someone else out there who has had this for this long. Maybe then I will stop worrying.

Thanks for your help.
    love,
    Peach
  2. charlenef

charlenef New Member

mine first attack lasted 2 yrs i was convinced i had a tumor or something that was 14 yrs ago now i get daily dizzy spells but they pass fast good luck
  3. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

I've had it most of 20 years. It is just a part of my life now.

I wish I knew what to tell you.

Sorry you have this too.
  4. TXPeach

TXPeach New Member

Thank you for your responses. It looks like I need to get used to it. It helps knowing that I'm not the only one.

God Bless,
    Peach
  5. Kittyweird

Kittyweird New Member

I had an attack a year ago that lasted for several months. For the first 9 weeks it was pretty bad. I had several tests & treatments. It finally went away. This past winter I had another attack which lasted 5 weeks. Chiropractic adjustments really helped. Yoga stretches also help some. I started taking 1 cyclobenzaprine every night & that seemed to help a lot as my neck & shoulder muscles are not as stiff & sore in the morning. The vertigo seems to come on when my neck & shoulders tighten.
  6. Bluebottle

Bluebottle New Member

Your doctor can give you injections or tablets to help, please don't 'suffer in silence'. My attacks last about a week if I don't 'catch' them with a tablet just as they start.(They're called 'Serc' here in the UK)
  7. CarolK

CarolK New Member

HI PEACH... IT'S ME AGAIN (CAROLK)...

IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THAT ARTICLE I MENTIONED IN THE POST TO "BOSCOSMOM"... DO READ IT! IT SOUNDS VERY PROMISING AND HAS AN IMMEDIATE AFFECT. I REALLY HOPE AND PRAY THIS MANUVER GIVES YOU SOME RELIEF.

HANG IN THERE AND NEVER GIVE UP!

BLESSINGS... CAROLK

google search.... JoNel Aleccia - MSNBC
  8. TXPeach

TXPeach New Member

Thank you for your responses. I have wondered about going to the chiropractor so I think I might try that. I have had a sore neck and shoulder pain non-stop since January. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Bluebottle, is Serc sold over the counter in UK or do you have to have a prescription? I wonder if they have something similar to it in the U.S.

Thanks again, everyone, for your help. I don't know what I would do without all of you!

God bless,
    Peach
    [This Message was Edited on 06/04/2008]
  9. TXPeach

TXPeach New Member

Carol, thank you for the info. Yes, I did read the article and watch the video. It is very informative. I thought about taking this info to my dr., but first I am going to get my hubby to help me and try this maneuver at home. If we don't have any luck then I will visit with my dr about it.

Again, thank you so much! I am open to any and all suggestions as living with this is no fun at all!

Thanks for your encouraging words.

God bless,
    Peach
  10. CarolK

CarolK New Member

HEY PEACH... I CHECKED YOUR PROFILE.. AND I SEE YOU ARE IN TEXAS. I HAVE A BROTHER IN THE DALLAS/FT.WORTH AREA. VISITED THERE A FEW TIMES... WAY TOO HOT FOR ME!!

I GET THE FEELING YOU ARE CHRISTIAN.. SO AM I. HAS THIS DD KEPT YOU FROM CHURCH PARTICIPATION? I USED TO BE VERY INVOLVED IN MINISTRY... BUT SLOWLY HAD TO BACK AWAY FROM IT ALL DUE TO THE PAIN AND RESTRICTIONS OF FM AND OSTEO-ARTHRITUS OF THE KNEES.

ALSO I HAVE MOVED FROM CALIFORNIA TO THE STATE OF WASHINGTON... MUCH COOLER!! STILL LOOKING FOR A GOOD CHURCH TO CALL HOME... BUT AT THIS POINT ACTIVE MINISTRY IS JUST NOT POSSIBLE. I'VE HAD BOTH KNEES REPLACED THIS PAST YEAR...VERY TOUGH SURGERY TO GET THROUGH... BUT DOING SO MUCH BETTER NOW! WAS JUST ABOUT READY FOR A WHEELCHAIR UNTIL THE SURGRIES!!

LIKE JUST ABOUT EVERYONE HERE ON THIS BOARD, I HAVE TO DEAL WITH DAY TO DAY PAIN AND A WHOLE HOST OF FM SYMPTOMS...BUT THE KNEE REPLACEMENTS HAVE REALLY HELPED.

DO YOU HAVE A GOOD CHURCH IN TEXAS? HAVE YOU MISSED MUCH CHURCH SINCE DEALING WITH THIS DD?

WELL GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME AND I TRUST HIM EVERYDAY TO GET ME THROUGH... LEARNING TO LIVE BY FAITH AND HIS ABUNDANT GRACE!!

BLESSINGS... CAROLK
  11. Bluebottle

Bluebottle New Member

Serc is a prescription drug in the Uk.

Active Ingredient:Betahistine dihydrochloride.

How does it work?

Serc tablets contain the active ingredient betahistine, which is a medicine that closely resembles the natural substance histamine. (NB. Betahistine is also available without a brand name, ie as the generic medicine.)

Betahistine is used to relieve the symptoms of Ménière's disease, which is a disorder of the inner ear. The fluid in the ear (found in a structure called the labyrinth) provides continual feedback to the brain about our body position. When something disturbs the balance of this fluid, for example an increase in its pressure, this can cause sensations such as nausea, dizziness or spinning sensations (vertigo), ringing in the ears (tinnitus) and hearing problems. This is what happens in Ménière's disease.

Betahistine works by acting on histamine receptors that are found in the walls of blood vessels in the inner ear. By activating these receptors, a process is started which ultimately reduces the pressure of the fluid that fills the labyrinth in the inner ear. This helps relieve the symptoms associated with Ménière's disease.

What is it used for?

* Vertigo, tinnitus and hearing problems associated with Ménière's disease

Use with caution in

* History of peptic ulcer

* Asthma
  12. TXPeach

TXPeach New Member

Yes, Carol, I am a Christian. About my church, I used to go every Sunday whether I was in a flare or not because I loved my pastor so much. His sermons were such a blessing to me and my family. He was the pastor who married my hubby and me.

Then, after 28 years, he retired. After that I could not get motivated to go. After a few months, my hubby and I decided to visit my son's church in a nearby city. The pastor was wonderful and we loved it there.

Then that pastor also decided to leave for another much larger church in a much larger city too far away from where I live.

Since then, again, I have not been motivated to go. The FM and vertigo has been so much worse over the past year. I miss going to church so much though. I keep praying that God will guide me in the right direction and will continue to live in me.

As for Texas, yes, it is so hot here. The heat used to not bother me, but as I have gotten older, it is much harder on me and the FM. I do much better in cooler weather.

Thanks again for your help with the vertigo issue I am having. All my best to you!
    God bless,
    Peach
  13. TXPeach

TXPeach New Member

Thank you very much for the information on Serc. I am going to check with my dr and see if there is something similar here in the U.S. he can give me.

I do have asthma though so I will be certain to mention that.

Thanks again for your help!
    God bless,
    Peach
  14. elliespad

elliespad Member

I used to get vertigo a few times a year, and usually lasted several weeks to several months. I was treating with a Dr. back around 2000 or 2001 who said it was likely caused by a reactivated Herpes Virus, and to take Turmeric, the Herb, not the spice, to put it in remission. I took the Turmeric, one capsule 3 times a day. Got rid of the vertigo.

I have had the start of vertigo a few times in the past several years and resume the Turmeric right away. Lysine (an amino acid) is also good for suppressing herpes viruses. I've used both and feel the Turmeric to be far superior.

15. hi all,

im new to this vertigo thing,although my mum and sister suffered with it.my sister was told that she had menieres disease.

this is new to me as ive never had such a terrible thing happen to me like this before.

all i did was catch a virus at work,out of a childs vomit,a few weeks ago.

this vertigo attack,feels like it wants to go away,and it does for a few hours.

then it comes back with a vengance and i have to emediately lay down.

how on earth will i be able to return to my job with this vertigo thing going on in me.

and why did it just turn up out of the blue?its very scary.

love fran
  16. greatgran

greatgran Member

Isn't it terrible. That is how my CFS fist started with a horrible 6 hr vertigo attack, I mean the one with the nausea, couldn't move.

After about 6 hrs was able to make it to bed, but for 3 months or longer, I was dizzy, couldn't walk straight etc. This was the beginning of my anxiety /panic.

Now I still have vertigo, it comes out of the blue and puts me to bed for days, afterwards its months before I seem to feel normal in the head.

I never know when its coming or leaving has been going on for 6 years. Doctors are clueless, one says sinus, one allergies, one says fm/cfs (could be as he puts it).

That is when my ears began to ring and I now have ringing 24/7.

Sorry, you suffer with vertigo it sure makes one miserabe.

God Bless,
    greatgran
  17. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

How to say how long it lasts. It gets bad for a few seconds to a minute, but it will keep happening off and on for a few days on end.

I am in the habit now of not moving my head too fast, and get up and down slowly. Also, flashing lights or loud noises set it off.

Ugh....

Sue in Ontario
  18. hi all,

my sudden vertigo came on three weeks or more.ive never had anything like it before in my life.

ive found that there are strange fibres floating around in the air outdoors,and i dont know how long ive been breathing it in me.

but this vertigo is connected to the fibres,everytime im out doors.

if i stay indoors with the doors and windows shut,the vertigo goes away.

i am having to occasionally wear two face dust masks to get to sleep,or just breath.

and if i peg washing out,id just better wear the masks or else.

im so fed up just now,and want to get better.

these fibres are going through my clothes and sticking in my skin,causing a small pin prick skin bleed.

im covering myself in vaseline,after dissenfecting myself with dettol antiseptic dissenfectant.

love fran
  19. TXPeach

TXPeach New Member

Thank you for your post. I, too, am interested in alternative medicine. This is the first time I've heard of using turmeric or lysine for vertigo, but I am definitely going to give it a try.

I have been researching several hours a day trying to find alternative treatment options for this DD and it's crazy symptoms. The vertigo is a new one for me so it helps to know others understand how I feel. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

Thank you again, and I will let you know if the turmeric works.
    God bless,
    Peach
  20. TXPeach

TXPeach New Member

Thanks to all of you for your replies. I appreciate your responses. I welcome any insight you can give me concerning the vertigo.

My vertigo doesn't really seem to come in "spells". It all depends on head and eye movement. If I move slowly and try to keep my head level I do much better. Is your vertigo ever like this or is it a continuous dizziness?

Thanks again for your replies. I hope we all feel better soon!
    God bless,
    Peach