How Long does Costochondritis Last????????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by RENA0909, Apr 3, 2007.

1. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

I had bouts of this a few years ago.

I used to think I was having a heart attack because of the severe stabbing pains that I got in my chest when I could not move my body a quarter of an inch.
    I was tested for all the heart problems and everything was ok then.

Now my blood pressure is high...my cholestrol is high and I am not surprised by all this because it is hereditary in my family.I have lost my mum ,brother,cousins all young because of heart problems.

BUT......I think the breathing problems I am having now are from the costochondritis!!!!

I cannot do ANYTHING at all without having a really bad time trying to get my breath into my body.I feel as though my lungs will not expand enough to give my a FULL breath of air.

Does anyone else understand what I mean??The middle part of my chest burns and hurts when I try to breathe .............I cannot wear a bra because it hurts so much and stops me breathing in.
    I would appreciate it if anyone has any help for me because I feel so alone here with this.....it is ruining any kind of normal life I try so hard to have.

Rena

2. debhun

debhun New Member

So sorry you are in pain. Side pain I call it hurts so bad and it seem that nothing works. I am pain now from it have been for a month now some days better then others. I hold my breath not knowing I am doing it. I have tryed Icy hot paches they seem to help a little. try them and see if it help and salt baths too.

((((HUGS))))
    Deb
  3. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

In my experience, the bouts of costo come and go but they can be really painful. Your pain does sound like costo but If I'm reading you right this has not happened for a while.

If it is a new pain, I would get it checked out just to be sure. Even if it's not a serious problem, something like anti-inflammtories for a short time can help. In the meantime try the patches, as suggested, or heat, or even ice, whatever works.

Kathy
    [This Message was Edited on 04/03/2007]
  4. momof471

momof471 New Member

Be sure you are breathing with your diaphragm and not your chest. Your stomach should go out when you breathe in. I had to learn this because I have HUGE issues with costochondritis.I used to take all those shallow breaths and that increases stress on your body. I love hot showers to try and loosen up, ice for pain, not the most appealing thing, but it does help with pain control if you can leave it on for long enough.

God Bless
  5. Engel

Engel New Member

Sorry you are feeling so badly hun. I think it (costochondritis) is always there and sleeps in us until it is ready to flare again. I liken my poor old body to a sleeping volcano ... lol. I am having a rough time with costochondritis right now ... along with IBS flare, IC flare (bladder) ... and swelling all over my body (joints) really bad. My feet looked like sausages all weekend and are better today (since I went on the lasix yesterday). I think once you have one of these delightful "deals" it stays in your body then flares when it wants to. I have been having the costochondritis flare for a few weeks now. The bra is rough when this is acting up. I find heat on my chest helps me immensley. Not too hot though. I worry about COPD since my Mom had it and her grandfather died from it. I can't get answers. I went for a stress test years ago when all of this stuff started and was just fine. I had taken myself to the ER several times and was even taken there from work by the ER squad. Now I don't even bother. I figure if it is my time "to go" it is my time.

(((((((((( hugs ))))))))) I hope you feel better soon
  6. 139864

139864 New Member

Sometimes I am aware of it hanging around ,,a dull ache ..Then when I least expect it ..It comes on full force & then there are the times when I am able to forget that I have it for a while .
    There was the one time when I was in a shop & the poor assistant got a bigger fright than I did .
    And they tell me it never goes away conpletely when you have Primary Biliay Cirrhosis as I do
    Stay Strong
    Brenda UK
  7. survivor13

survivor13 New Member

hi there
    i dont think it goes away at a;ll just has varying degrees of severity and intensity. iv always got a sort of pulling sensation even when i havent got the swelling so its always there. i end up with a huge lump swelling on the front of my chest and my physio says iv dislocated several ribs when this happens as the swelling muscles in the chest push the ribs up and out of their sockets from the inside, looks like i got a third boob growing as it gets so pronounced. i cant even lift my arm above waist height at these times as the pain is intense, my daughter has btush my hair n put a bobble in it cos i cant manage to do it for myself and my hubby washes my hair etc. i find that if i dont overdo things with my right arm and shoulder or put to much physical strain on my upper body and limbs then then periods in between the intensly acute times can be quite far apart, but as we all do it doesnt last too long before i do something i shouldnt and up those huge lumps and swellings come lol.
    hope you find a way of 'managing' yours successfully as after years of my physio 'popping' my ribs back into the sockets iv noe got hard calcium deposits around mine and they are permanently raised outs place, not nice living with patial dislocation of the ribs but i really dont think there is much that can be done with them or if there is i have not been offered any alternatives to what i have, good luck xxx (((((((hugs))))))))))))xxxx
  8. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

I feel sad that some of you are suffering really bad with this costo nightmare that we have.

If I just sit and do absolutely nothing I am ok but no-one can live like that.Any kind of exertion at all and I am bad again.

I guess it will ease soon(I hope)so I can play with my only grandchild.She makes me forget how ill I am but she also exausts me and makes me worse lol!
    I would never give up having her here though.....she is so adorable and funny and I am crazy about her!

Take care all

Rena
  9. gemini48

gemini48 New Member

Rena,

Have you seen a Gastroenterologist? I had the same symptoms in 1999. In fact my husband called the Paramedics because I thought I was having a heart attack. While in the E/R, I was told I had Costochondritis, and to see a Gastro guy, just to have it checked out because it could be caused by something related to the esophagus, and that I should have that ruled out. My symptoms were severe burning, mid-chest with pain, even in my left arm, with a pins-and needles effect on the top of my head, which was a reation I had from the thought that I was having a heart attack, sort of a vaso-valgus (sp) reation (your body does this under intense suddden stress). I did go see a Gastro-guy and was diagnosed with GERD, or gastro-esophageal reflux disease.
    I am so glad I had it checked, because I had other symptoms previous to that, such as a pain in my throat, and a feeling of something lodged in my throat.
    My doctor ordered a proton-pump inhibitor (Prilosec) and haven't had those symtoms since. I have to take meds for the rest of my life, especially since I'm overweight, causing flare-ups, without the meds. But I don't have to deal with that, at least, when the Fibro and DDD are enough to deal with, and the anxiety and depression...
    Just a thought...hope you start feeling better soon.

Vicki
  10. momof471

momof471 New Member

I went to a new doctor today, with totally different questions, but he went back to my original issues which were sternal and rib pain.9i've been diagnosed wiht costo and had actually fractured my sternal manubrial joint.) He pushed up from the bottom of my sternum and sent me through the roof! I just about started crying, then he pressed on my ribs. He said this will never go away, in my case. He wants me to do more pt for it.(I'm not to thrilled about that)This can have a huge impact on shoulder, neck and back issues.

God Bless
  11. ruby711

ruby711 New Member

I had it about 15 yrs ago for about 3 months or more. It kept getting worse. I had a chronic cough the whole time as well as rib pain and a lot of difficulty breathing. I went to an allergist because the cough would not let up. THe allergist asked me if I had cats which I didn't but he said the cough may be due to animal dander. I was sleeping next to an open window that had tons of nesting pigeons on the sills and figured I should move my bed to see if the cough would go away. Well it did and eventually so did the costochond. I don't know if they were related but everything cleared up after so many months of suffering.
    Wish I could be of more help, but I don't remember what I was given for pain or if there was anything else I did.
    ruby
  12. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I had an episode last night while lying in bed. I started to roll over and couldn't move without feeling like someone was killing me. I've learned to lie very still and breathe shallow, then gently start massaging the cartilage at the front of the ribs. If I find a really bad point I do some trigger point therapy till it lets up. Usually I can stop the severe pain within a few minutes but it leaves me totally exhausted.

Mine is also primarily from rib dislocation. I have the hypermobility type of Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome and it will cause small dislocations constantly which my doctor says then creates microtears that become inflamed and create a lot of pain. There is a strong association between that condition and fibromyalgia.

Jan
  13. Catbarry

Catbarry New Member

I have also found that it never truly goes away with me. I had a long bout of pain, followed by a reasonably long time with very little pain. Now, it's back, and worse than ever. My doc suggested I try Vitamin E for the pain, but I didn't find it helped any. It can be scary because it mimics so many other conditions that can be very serious.

14. Bethechange

Bethechange New Member

I can remember being a child (6 or 7 years?) and feeling these pains and my parents would tell me that it was growing pains. Still having them to this day, on and off. Anybody remember when they first started feeling this pain. To me, it feels like I can't take a deep breath or move until the left side of my chest "pops"...it's the only way I can describe it.
  15. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

I have now got an infection which is causing me to cough up lots of yukky phlegm!
    It is making my chest soooo sore and I am wetting myself with the cough...... gggrrrrrr.
    I had this 2 years ago and had to have 2 lots of anti-biotics as it lasted for 5 weeks.

I am feeling so sore and tired with it all today and just want to stay in bed but I need to do stuff to keep my mind off it all.

Hope you are all having a good day!!

Rena