how long does depression last?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Droste, Dec 26, 2002.

1. Droste

Droste New Member

I was just wondering how long that depression has lasted for otherpeople// I have been battling depression for many months now, and i was wondering if it something that i am not doing.. if i should be over it by now.. i am on medication, but i still battle very bad days.. am i a lost cause? thanks for your input.. Droste
  2. phenom

phenom New Member

hi droste,

i have battled depression since 1996...nearly losing it a number of times. each person is different. some times 'getting over it' is not an option. if you are wanting to get better, maybe try alternative therapies and also complementary therapies with your meds (counselling, meditation, hypnosis etc)as meds alone do not get to the cause of the depression, rather, they just treat the symptom (the depression itself). hope that answers your question.

phenom
  3. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I just started on it about a week & a half or 2 weeks ago and I really notice the difference, I was having a lot of days where I was not suicidal but was definitely wondering why I was alive.

I definitely suggest giving it a try, I do 150 mgs zoloft too but it does not fix the whole problem.

Jaci
  4. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

On if it's clinical depression, or self-inflicted depression, which by the way, is about 95% of all depressed people. Clinical depression can go on for a lifetime, whereas self-inflicted depression can stop as soon as a person learns they're doing it to themselves and takes the steps to improve their way of thinking and their lives. It's just so hard to say which one you have. I really feel for you if it's indeed clinical depression - you've got a tough row to hoe, but there still is alot of hope and you can eventually get back to feeling like a normal person!

Marilyn :)
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Marilyn has pretty much explained it for you. You need to get a really good therapist to help you determine whether this is clinical or situational. I suffered from clinical depression in my younger years and was suicidal. Through lots of therapy, I was able to heal without antidepressants. Antidepressants, while called for under some circumstances, are powerful medications with dangerous side effects and I didn't want to become dependent on them. This is the road I chose, but it might not work for everyone. Typically, clinical depression is treated with a combination of meds and therapy.

Love, Mikie
  6. Kimba

Kimba New Member

I have been clinically depressed for 10 years. I have been on drugs for three years now. I have had to make changes and have had the does adjusted to level out my depression.

It does depend what type of depression you have. If you are still battling it every day it does not sounds like you have the right dosage of medication or on the right medication.

You are not a lost cause, no one is. It just takes time, and you need to take it one day at a time. Don't worry about what you should be doing; just take it one day at a time.
  7. Kimba

Kimba New Member

I have been clinically depressed for 10 years. I have been on drugs for three years now. I have had to make changes and have had the does adjusted to level out my depression.

It does depend what type of depression you have. If you are still battling it every day it does not sounds like you have the right dosage of medication or on the right medication.

You are not a lost cause, no one is. It just takes time, and you need to take it one day at a time. Don't worry about what you should be doing; just take it one day at a time.
  8. griswoldgirl

griswoldgirl New Member

in my experience without counceling too. I am clinically depressed and have been dealing with it for about 8 years now. I am on antidepresant medication and have been for the 8 years. It comes and goes depending on what is going on in my life. I have had 3 surgeries in 3 years and am possibly facing a 4th and have lost my job and career as a sonographer in the last few months so my depression has been bad--real bad.

I stayed in bed for about 3 months crying most of the time and finally realized that the meds I was on was not getting it. I am now on new medication and seeing a therapist and feel a heck of a lot better. Not so dark and clumy anymore.

What are you on? Just curious. I was on serzone and it was actually making me more depressed and not doing its job at all.

I do hope the depression lifts for you soon--I know how it feels to be in the trenches and it stinks!

cathy
  9. coyote

coyote New Member

Like Phenom mentioned above, everyone is different. I have been in treatment for depression since 1978. This should not discourage you since everyone has different genes and life experiences. What I read is that most depressions resolve themselves. I have taken many different antidepressant medications, and the new ones are much better than the older ones. They are called "cleaner" drugs because they have little or no side effects. Antidepressants are not addictive drugs.
    If you are taking medication for depression, you should also be in therapy with a professional that you feel comfortable talking with.
    Acupuncture has also helped me with depression, anxiety and insomnia.
    Good luck and don't give up! Just take things one day at a time!
  10. poodlegirl

poodlegirl New Member

I have had it (depression) and thought it was gone. Felt hi and life was good and next thing I know it is rearing it's ugle head. I think it for some people may be an ongoing battle. I don't feel like I have ever been 100 % depression free. That sounds weird I know. But mine will last for months then it will go away for months, I think I can ease off the drugs, but it comes back. It is an ever present demon for me. The question is who will win?
  11. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Yes depression can and does go away. I had dysthymic depression from puberty on up til several years ago. That's a mild form just just hangs in there all the time so you feel cruddy on a daily basis, but it's not debilitating. I assume it's self-induced depression. I also notice that I get REALLY down when my time of the month comes around. I'm also likely to rip someone's head off if they look at me wrong. This might be what you also experience?

Marilyn :)
  12. coyote

coyote New Member

I also have had depression constantly for years. Sometimes better, sometimes worse. My psychiatrist says that I must have times when I'm not depressed but I don't notice! Ha! He should live in my head.

Janet
    [This Message was Edited on 12/31/2002]