How long does it take for you to "Get Going"?!?!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lexied, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Lexied

Lexied New Member

You know how in the winter you have to crank up your car a few minutes ahead of time so the motor will warm up and "thaw out"?! That's how it feels everyday when I wake up! Sometimes my battery is completely dead, like I left my "lights" on all night long. Then othertimes it's like I've got a few bad "spark plugs" that just won't fire! It's usually about noon before I feel like moving around and even then it's slow going. After a few laps around the house or a trip to the grocery store for "fuel" my engine just STALLS and I know it's time to park before I "overheat"!! I just wish I could trade myself in for a new model before I'm sent to the "junkyard" of life!! LOL

Waiting for a JUMP START!!!

Lex

2. Sissy123

Sissy123 New Member

Everyone who knows me knows I am worthless in the morning. Even if I had some sleep. I am stiff as a board and can hardly move. It takes me along time to "get warmed up". I usually drink my coffee on my heat pad and then slowly get dressed and eat some toast. Oh yea, I have to take my meds to even think about doin anything after noon. This is what keeps me from having much of a life. I feel like about the time I get moving, it is time for bed, for normal people anyway. Best of luck, Sis
  3. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I laughed at your description of mornings. It is so RIGHT ON! I've never been much of a morning person, but at least motivated myself, somehow, to get going. Unless there is something I ABSOLUTLEY have to do, I can usually find the time to procrastinate for HOURS! Early afternoons are best for me to get things done. Usually by that time the'fog' has lifted, and the body agrees to move, sometimes more slowy than others!

Went to have my hair trimmed and colored yesterday and felt like I had run a marathon by the time it was done. This is a stress free event! It was a 4 1/2 hour visit, stylist runs slow also! I couldn't wait to get out of the car, because my mind was drifting so!!

Take care Lex!

Hugs,

Kim

[This Message was Edited on 09/10/2003]
  4. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

I've never been a "morning person". It was misery getting up for school, then jobs, family to take care of. It takes me at least an hour, maybe two, before I'm functional. The less sleep, the longer it takes. I also need a nap in the afternoon most of the time, then I'm wide awake all night. Now I'm finally able to live by my own internal clock and with magnesium before bed (around 5:00 AM) I get enough sleep that it doesn't take quite as long to get going when I get up around 2:00 in the afternoon. But, as you say, by evening, I'm much better. This has been a problem my whole life. I've even had to call the office, after getting dressed and all, to say I just couldn't make it in. It's been years since I was able to work and that's been one of the main reasons.

JoAnn
  5. lone-wolf

lone-wolf New Member

a morning person. Even as a child getting up for school and getting going was very difficult. I get up now about 9:00 am and it takes me until at least noon to 'begin' to function. I just have to sit or lay down... if I push myself it makes me physically sick, so I basically go from the bed to the couch and struggle to get awake enough to hopfully accomplish something in the afternoon. I feel so guilty sometimes because I feel like I waste days not being able to do much of anything. Coming here to this board helps me to deal with alot of the limitations put on me from the FM/CFS because of the validation I receive knowing that It is not just 'me'.

Hugs, Lonewolf
  6. ranger

ranger New Member

I schedule things for morning, if I have to go anywhere, but not early morning. Mid/late morning...and then I wish to be back home by noon or 1:00 because I begin to fade for the day. We're talking one outing, short, with a day home the day before and 5 days after.
  7. vix

vix New Member

I feel like death warmed up most mornings. AS a child i always needed loads of sleep and have a real problem even now having breakfast early. My feet have become increasingly bad these days, and i'm always stiff and it takes a few hours befor i feel human again.
    and i so wish i could trade my bod in as well, ah well heres hoping some crazy doc finds a magic jump start pill!

vix
  8. Eve612

Eve612 New Member

I am so right there with you. Instead of feeling rested, I feel like I'm half dead when I get up, & have to force myself through the tasks of the day...I would give anything to find a natural supplement that gave you some energy or made you feel better. I can't afford to try everything that I hear about, so I wait till I hear that there are others that have used it & it has helped. So far, nothing has helped me.

Eve
  9. badangel3

badangel3 New Member

and then I'm totally out of energy again by 4 p.m. I get up very early for work, but that doesn't always mean I'm able to get out of bed. Sometimes the pain is so bad I don't dare roll over...getting up is not an option.

When I am able to get up it take several hours before I can walk up right and my pain meds have kicked in. If I try to do too much during my 4-5 hour window of feeling okay, I end up bedridden the rest of the evening. It's very hard because right now I still must work. Just 4 more years til full retirement and I'm going to try and get as close as possible to that goal.

One thing is certain...pain remains my 1 constant companion. Jackie
  10. bitter-sweet

bitter-sweet New Member

Not any more! Some days I never do get going. When you're in pain, and your sleep is all messed up who can get going?! I'm not ready for the junkyard...I'll keep sputtering along.
  11. Suzan

Suzan New Member

I do the things I have to do...let the dogs out, make the coffee, send Dh off to work....but I don't do anything too strenuous till late morning or early afternoon most days. It is a bit better when I am not flaring.When I am feeling my best I can go from about 9 till 2...but then I wear out and have to rest. And the going is a lot less energetic than it used to be..with more resting inbetween tasks! But, I do keep going...I refuse to let this darn syndrome rob me of all my dreams!
  12. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

I know just what you mean. I used to be a real morning person, almost never rising after 5:00 a.m.. (I would wake up bright eyed and bushy tailled, and sprng into action). Well, my cat is still on that schedule, even if I am not, so I feed him then, as usual (If I dont, he meows incessantly, and then starts yowling!). Now it takes me at least 3 hours to get going. And by "going" I mean being able to walk from one room to another. I sometimes go back to sleep, but most often I have breakfast, watch an inspirational program on T.V.. meditate, do a little yoga, then get dressed. By that time it is after 8:00. Then I sit down, and all of a sudden it is 11:00. It used to make me mad and frustrated, but now I am trying to just enjoy it all. I am lucky to be retired, so - where do I have to go? I hope you are not too frustrated. Hugs, Terry
    [This Message was Edited on 09/10/2003]
  13. sharon5650

sharon5650 New Member

HI I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU MEAN, WHEN I WAKE UP I GO STRAIGHT TO THE BATHROOM. I CAN HARDLY WALK THERE, THE BONES IN MY FEET ARE KILLING ME. AND I FEEL THE TIN MAN ON THE WIZARD OF OZ. I NEED TO BE OILED EVERY MORNING. MY WHOLE BODY IS SCREAMING, IT TAKES A LITTLE WHILE FOR ME TO COME AROUMD, I CAN NOT MAKE ANY MORNING APP. AND IF I HAVE AN APP. THE NEXT DAY, I AM UP ALL NIGHT THINKING ABOUT IT. HOW AM GOING TO FEEL THE NEXT DAY. THAT IS HOW I LVE===== ONE DAY AT A TIME OR ONE HOUR AT A TIME--- AND I DON;T CARE ANYMORE WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK===THAT IS THERE INVENTORY NOT MINE, IF THERE MAD THAT IS SOMETHING THEY HAVE TO DEAL WITH NOT ME. SHARON5650
  14. badangel3

badangel3 New Member

I just said those exact same words to a co-worker on yesterday! I couldn't straighten up when I walked because of the pain. And I told her I feel just like the Tin Man in desperate need of oil!! I had to lean back from the monitor when I read your post. Some days FM does get the best of me and I just say " not one more thing, not one more step! On those days I'm glad I live alone. I don't have to deal with anyone if I don't want to and I don't have to worry about hurt feelings. Jackie
  15. itscarrie

itscarrie New Member

Well on a reasonably good day I'm awake by 7-30am (having woke a couple of times in the night) first I hobble to the bathroom on stiff feet, bump into a wall on the way...wash hands, avoid looking in mirror till later, go back to bed for about 10 minutes to recuperate !! Get up again ...take shower...dry off and lie on bed again to recuperate for another 10- 15 minutes. Get dressed and look at clock... (9am). Now I know I'll have about 2 hours of morning time to get something done before I feel worn out... Back home by 11am,,,, lie down for 15 minutes. Do housework if not working and lie down between chores. If working I go to work at noon and drag myself through till 4-30pm......home again, sleep for an hour......chores/cook for kids/ try to relax a bit but I'm usually writing the next days list of things to do..........etc etc etc

A bad day is : Cannot do much at all till around 1pm then I often do not get dressed. I find myself staring into space and my spacy thoughts are usually about how I could do the housework in the quickest way possible,,, if possible....

One day one of my sons asked me (during a spacy day nap) where his brother was.....I replied "In a ziploc bag in the fridge !!!!!!" I have never been allowed to forget that statement haha.
  16. mamacilla

mamacilla New Member

great analogy with the car! i have a terrible time
    waking up. it just plain hurts to wake up. laying on
    a heating pad before getting out of bed helps, but i often
    just keep my eyes closed and doze back off to sleep. the time between waking up and actually getting out of bed is
    often the most painful time of day for me. some days are better than others, but this is generally how it is. i make all appts for mid to late afternoon.
  17. 600

600 New Member

Every morning for the past 20 years have been very difficult. I tried many trhings to get going. Nothing works for me. Usually after about 5 hours something starts to happen! Some of you know what I mean. I think a series of just walking around and then resting several minutes helps to get me moving. I use skin brushing sometimes to make me feel like I'm alive! I know one thing for sure,I have to be careful what I breathe,(dust,smoke,fumes),how much I do,What I eat,What supplements I take,as I'm much more sensitive to these stressors in the morning! Later on after I'm revved-up I can handle things better. 600

[ advertisement ]