How long from diagnosis until you were disabled?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lvjesus, Aug 16, 2006.

1. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I have been dx for about 2 1/2 years and am curious as to how long it was from dx or onset to disabled for those of you who are?

Of course I worry about this alot. Thanks to everyone for sharing.

Love,
    Sonya
    [This Message was Edited on 08/16/2006]
  2. suzetal

suzetal New Member

Three and a half years to get my disability.

I applied six months after I got ill.

Hugs>>>>FOR EVERY DAY A NEW DAWN WILL COME>>>>Sue
  3. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I was diagnosed in Dec 03 after at least 7 years of trying to figure it out because it was only in 1 quadrant.In june of 04 I had to quit work .In February 05 I filed for disability.In August 05,I was awarded disability for FM.
    Linda
  4. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

how long were you able to keep on working before you had to stop due to this DD?
  5. charlenef

charlenef New Member

really sick in 2004 i fought for the first year to work i cut my hour back but ultimatly gave in and i was working in my home. im still waiting to hear from the courts about ssd charlene
  6. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

You can read my profile for the details, if you'd like, but warning, no paragraphs (yet)...

This began for me in 1993, after an oophorectomy...The following year another neck injury requiring surgery...I was never the same...The fatigue set in and the pain and numbness were constant...

I still tried to work, even going to grooming school so I could have my own business,make my own hours,etc. I opened in 2000 and closed in 2004...That was IT!

I like to say that my WILLPOWER gave out...I can no longer fight to do what I did before...Each day is different, minute by minute actually...I don't make appointments or plans, I just go along in my own world cause it's too much to drag anyone else along for the ride...My hubby is wonderful tho, he watches me like a hawk...

Now whatever I do seems to have a price to pay from an hour nap or three days on the couch and everything in between...It's the only constant in my life, battling this pain and fatigue...

So final answer I guess would be...Began 1993...Struggled...Work and activities ceased 2004...New boring life began October 2004...Phooey!

Good post, I too am curious how others tried to keep going. We have had other posts regarding "when it came on", "what do we do in a day" and others but never quite had responses like how long before it actually GOT US...

I know others have mentioned that it gets worse and it progresses and the 'experts' don't agree...For me, the more I did to get myself better, the weaker I became...I took pain pills to do more and ad's for a better attitude and to help sleep while all along this THING was taking hold of me and disabling me even though I fought...

I keep trying though, I haven't given up yet...

Hope to read more replies...Like I said, I think it was my WILLPOWER that finally failed me...My brain is still willing and so is my heart, but my body and soul just can't do it anymore...

Peaceful days ahead~Alicia
    [This Message was Edited on 08/16/2006]
  7. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Finally diagnosed with CFIDS in the fall of 2003, and won disability this past February.

Kholmes
  8. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

Technically, my dx of FM came after I was disabled, and even after I was awarded disability, I was dx'd w/ Environmental Illness & depression (MCS) before that. But I know what you meant.

I had FM percolating for at least 7 yrs of very slow onset that was hard to recognize as a chronic illness because it was so sporadic and much less debililating than now. I'm still more disabled by the myriad allergies than anything.

Many people never become disabled, so don't assume you will. Its totally not an inevitable outcome. If I'd been dx'd as quick as you, there's a very good chance I wouldn't be disabled now. Early detection can make a crucial difference so you can make lifestyle changes that may arrest it, reverse it, or at least lesson its impact.

I'd check out Bruce Campbell's site. Its easy to find on search engines, try his name w/ CFS and fibromyalgia. He has a wealth of free info and reversed it for himself w/ early detection.

Jeanne
  9. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Thanks for the encouraging words. It is always good to hear from you. I am so lucky to have been dx'd right after the pain set in. I thank God that I was and could begin to learn about this dd and what to do to take care of me.

It has taught me alot of lessons, so it has it's blessings as well as it's curses, just like most things.

I have learned so much here and have been proactive in some areas, like keeping regular sleep hours and resting and trying not to overdo. I also learned about Klonopin and hypersensitivity here so that when going into the store became unbearable, I knew what it was and what to ask for.

That problem is mostly gone now but I can see how others without the benefit of this board could go for a long time looking for an answer.

I just went to my PCP and said, this is what I am experiencing and this is what I want for it.

Love to all,
    Sonya
  10. FOYBOYFOY

FOYBOYFOY New Member

SONYA
    IVE BEEN ILL SINCE FEB 2006 AND AFTER SEEING 6 DOCTORS IVE BEEN DX WITH : CFS & FM, STRESS, VIRUS AND 3 DOCTORS HAVE NO CLUE. IF YOUR TALKING STATE DISABILITY IVE BEEN ON IT FROM DAY ONE. CALIFORNIA DISIBILITY LAST ONLY 18 MONTHS, ILL CROSS THAT ROAD WHEN I GET TO IT. GOD BLESS FOY
  11. onnaroll

onnaroll New Member

I got sick in 2002 and never got better. such terrible pain was disabling from day one.
  12. Tantallon

Tantallon New Member

Two and a half years from beginning to when I had to give up work, I got the diagnosis of CFS only recently, before that I was diagnosed as FM. Very disabled now though. should have given up work much sooner.

Sue
  13. kjfms

kjfms Member

I was diagnosed with FMS in 1999 it took 5 years to get that diagnosis. Everyone who has these DDs is different and I am very sorry for those who are disabled.

I am not disabled I still work part time and hope to return to full time soon.

I am not saying it is easy just that it is what I do for me.

Best wishes to all,

Karen :)
  14. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

before I was diagnosed. I have a lot of things wrong with me.

Linda
  15. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

who took time to answer me. I worry about what will happen in the end since I continue to get worse, but am nowhere near disabled.

Not progressive is a lie.

Love and blessings,
    Sonya
  16. lightnerbride

lightnerbride New Member

I was first diagnosed in 1992/93 but really did fairly well, went to school and worked foull-time most of the time with just occasional flare-ups until I injured my back in 2000 and then it was total flare-up and I haven't been able to work since 2001 (not that I did much working after the injury in 00/01) I put in for disability was turned down but didn't understand process. I reapplied and now four years later I am finally...yet still waiting for a hearing.
    Keep positive it may never get worse for you!
    A
  17. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

our body utterly fails us.Most of us fight a long time to keep from being labeled disabled.Linda