how long has it been since you had a cold??????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sixtyslady, Jul 6, 2006.

1. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

just wondering how long its been since you had a cold, it has been at least 2 yrs, now I have a dozzy,
    It started with a scratcy throat .
    and yesterday all I did was cough all day and hack.
    had a 101 temp all nite and now my ribs are so sore it hurts to breath.
    It seems like on a post I read that someone used vicks for rib pain, if any one has any hints to help please let me know. it hurts really bad ,

what a heck of a time to get a cold in the summer. when does the sickness ever end when you have this d.d.?
    Thanks and Hugs sixtyslady
  2. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

3. lucysmom2

lucysmom2 New Member

Now that you mention it, I have not had a cold since I got fibro and myofascial pain syndrome. That is over 3 and 1/2 years ago. I wonder if there is any connection.
  4. spmary

spmary New Member

It has been ages since I had a cold. But I have allergies that cause a post nasal drip, so I cough with that. spmary
  5. borntired

borntired New Member

When I first had been diagnosed w/Fibro I was working a very stressful and demanding---poor paying job---Corporate Travel Agent. There was one 3 month period that I got a cold EVERY WEEKEND! No exageration. When I worked in a less stressful enviornment I got them reguarly but it was like having the flu...I had colds all my life! Couldn't figure it out.
    Since I have not been working or really socializing, I have had two colds in three years and again they make me go to bed it is honestly that I can't function when I get one.

I am now a fully professed Germophobe.

Good luck and my prayers are always with this group.

Borntired
  6. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

oh so much pain in my back and ribs, from coughing .I can hardly lean back in my chair .I feel like I"m on fire.just wish it would let up. thanks for all the input . I just don"t know what to do. sixtyslady
  7. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

Actually, now that I think about that, I haven't gotten a cold in quite a while. As in February, I think which is a record for me.

I guess the supplements are helping - when everything's going smoothly, you tend to forget it.

However, like Prickles, my allergies (pollen and dust) have been INSANE this year - so I've been on loratidine pretty much constantly since April.

I tried to go off once, and immediately got the sore throat, etc., so went right back on it again.

It's rotten that you're so sick. I hope you get better soon. Lots of fluids to keep everything moving, Vitamin C, etc.

There is a great OTC lozenge that is the best zinc and echinaecea, called Sootherbs - it comes in a red box and is found in the cough and cold section. It is absolutely THE BEST zinc product I've ever tried. I hate the taste of all the other zinc lozenges.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie

8. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

FOR MANY years. But I am allergic to pollen, etc. so have much the same symptoms.
  9. Rene

Rene New Member

Hi I have not had a cold or flu for 2 1/2 yrs. When I was healthy I had one every year. Maybe do to isolation and an overactive immunesystem???
    Rene
    Hope you get better soon!
  10. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I can't remember my last cold. Probably at least 4 or 5 years ago.

About 5 years ago I had a terrible flu that had me in bed for almost 2 weeks and turned into a lung infection, ever since then I haven't had a cold.

Hope you are feeling better soon, the rib pain is bad enough without all that coughing.

Take Care,

Sue in Ontario
  11. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

That is something I rarely ever get. I may of had 1 or 2 in the last 8 yrs. I never get fevers either. My family can all have colds and I don't get one.
    Can never figure that one out. I do have some allergy problems, and post nasal drip too, I think, plus sinus stuff.

Raz
  12. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

that is, until last year. Now I've had them 2 springs in a row. I'm not sure if that means I'm getting better, or worse. Doc thinks maybe better.

CFS/FM is an immune dysregulation thingy. I don't think our immune systems are low, just awry. Seems as if the bad allergy set seems to get colds the least. an d allergies are a hyperactive immune system thing, so its no wonder we aren't too prone to new viruses

You can try ginger root tea. it tastes great and my old doc gave the recipe out like crazy at his office, seemed the patients loved it for viruses. I got the recipe off an indian gal who drank pots of it when she caught a bug, she sweared by it too. I drin k it because it tastes great and is very soothing, several cups makes me real mellow, helps me sleep too. I make lots for Ron when he gets a bug, or we just might be, often chases it off. He;ll bring a thermos to work too, hot or cold.

Just take maybe half a ginger root and chop it into several chunks, add a few wedges of fresh lemon preferably, but lemon juice works in a pinch, add honey to taste if you like. I prefer no honey, but honey is good for viruses too. YOu can make quite a few pots and put it in the fridge when it cools too, then you can top it up w/ cold water several more times in the fridge and add some new lemon. Keeps for at least 3 days this way. Ron prefers it cold, because it gets more spicey.

The best thing I use for a painful cough is codeine. You can get cough syrup w/ it, but I just take the pills, I have them anyway for pain. Codeine relaxes the bronchial tubes like nothing else. I also highly recommend high dose vit. C, it could cut your bug in half. I take vit. c all the time and double it for a bug, it often nips it before it can take root. I haven't ever noticed it making my joints worse, don't have arthritis, just FM.

jeanne