How long have you had fibromyalgia? Or me/cfs?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bluewing, Feb 18, 2007.

1. bluewing

bluewing New Member

Some of us started many years ago and I'm wondering about the rest. How long did it take you to get help? And how many of us are men?

Mary
  2. renea

renea New Member

TOO LONG!

3. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

I would have to say about 14 years.

love to all, Ann
  4. llama

llama New Member

Have had fatigue, post-exertional pain/malaise, depression and anxiety and a sleep disorder since very early childhood probably like 7 or 8.

Symptoms were "manageable" until early to mid 30's. I just turned 48.

I still haven't really gotten what I would consider help.

I'm female...............Jill...................
  5. discoverygal

discoverygal New Member

I've been in pain (minor at first) since 2002, about 5 years when I was almost 40. I was dx'd 4 months ago, Oct 2006. My pain has gotten worse almost every day for the past 5 months or so.

gentle hugs to everyone
  6. keke1972

keke1972 New Member

FMS/CFS for 19 years.
  7. rrsbaby

rrsbaby New Member

And it just keeps getting worse. Use to just have a "flare" here and there, now it is always there.If I have a day when my pain level is a 5 out of 10 it is an ok day.

To top it off I als have osteoarthritis, neck, back ,shoulders, knees,hands. Have a surgery on neck and one hand and need more.
  8. bluewing

bluewing New Member

Sixty years is a lonnng time to find out! It took about 45 years for me to be diagnosed (fms,cfs,arthritis) and that was 7 years ago. I'm hoping and praying that in the very near future we will find help, especially for the younger ones. And it breaks my heart to think of children afflicted with these DD's. (If that means what I think it does?) I know your mothers have suffered right along with you. Please God, protect our little ones.

Y'all hang in there...Rene, Ann, Holly, Jill, Danette, Marctilly, Keke and Rrsbaby! Thank you for writing back... I pray you will have pain-free moments.
    Sending love, Mary
  9. kelleyc

kelleyc New Member

I have had fibro for about 7 years and diagnosed about 2 years ago. I'm female.
  10. suzannekart

suzannekart New Member

The first time I told a dr. about how I felt was when I was 24. I can remember hurting all over and being very tired when I was a kid. they were always testing me for TB. I never had it. I am now 61. Way too many years.
    Suzanne
  11. openyourmind

openyourmind New Member

looking back it has been most of my life---no one recognized what it was tho--as a child my feet ached all the time, my stomach, too--

as a mature woman my periods were agony--later ER visits for things that turned out to esophageal spasms, thoracic outlet syndrome, mvp, etc--

finally the internet and research --my pain had a name--fibromyalgia!--however, no relief--
    this board has helped a lot--

my mom had it, my aunt has it (she is in a nursing home and spending her last days in never ending pain(they can't find anything to relieve her pain) she is 87 --cousins, have it--and my sons to a lesser degree

I am female and 65 years old
    [This Message was Edited on 02/19/2007]
  12. sues1

sues1 New Member

I had problems with legs as a grade school gal. But I lived a normal life for many years.

I am getting worse. I can no longer go and do my pool excersises and they did help at one time. Harder and harder to walk and I fall easier. So I am cautious on that.

Susan
  13. dononagin

dononagin New Member

Mono - 11 yrs ago.. diagnosed with CFS about a year after when I didn't get well.. The Fibro Diagnosis came later.
  14. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Over 20 years ago I was diagnosed by rheumatologist.

Can't remember how many years I had the symptoms before that, but it was LOTS.

June
  15. mujuer

mujuer New Member

and suffering until they find a cure. female
  16. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

Three years, and I want to give up. I don't know how you all do it!
  17. roge

roge Member

FM 19 yrs

ME/CFS - 2 years

36 year old male
  18. JulieL

JulieL New Member

I was diagnosed in 1998 at the age of 47. I was terrible at first could not get out of bed, get dressed, etc. My whole life changed. I did get better slowly after a year...I even went back to work. I am back off work since flare-up again in July/2006. My doctor has recommended permanent disability. I feel like I have been "sent out to pasture" since I can't go back to work. I think to myself...is this how life is going to be from now on. Most of the time I watch TV and watch someone else have a life. I get on my computer to read and maybe post sometimes. I'm not sure if I do it correctly but at least I try. Boy I hate to sound down but as you all know it helps to vent when you can't do what you use to do.

For anyone that read this...thanks for listening.

juliel