How long have you taken Zolpidem(Ambien) for?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sindy-Uk, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Sindy-Uk

Sindy-Uk New Member

Hi,
    I have been taking Zolpidem 5mg (Ambien) for 3 months now. It is the only thing that has helped me fall asleep. My GP does not prescribe it because he thinks it is addictive. I have got private prescription from my CFS consultant, who uses Dr Teitelbaum's protocol. I have had problems falling asleep most of my life. With this I do not feel groggy next morning, although it has not helped with my fatiue yet.
    Has anyone been using it for longer time? Are there any long term effects? I will appreciate any comments.

Many thanks

Satin
  2. Sindy-Uk

Sindy-Uk New Member

Hi,
    I have been taking Zolpidem 5mg (Ambien) for 3 months now. It is the only thing that has helped me fall asleep. My GP does not prescribe it because he thinks it is addictive. I have got private prescription from my CFS consultant, who uses Dr Teitelbaum's protocol. I have had problems falling asleep most of my life. With this I do not feel groggy next morning, although it has not helped with my fatiue yet.
    Has anyone been using it for longer time? Are there any long term effects? I will appreciate any comments.

Many thanks

Satin
  3. sb439

sb439 New Member

Hi Satin,

I took Ambien for a short while, but as you say about yourself, although it made me sleep, it didn't do anything for my fatigue. Hence I inferred it's not the right thing for me, not giving me deep sleep.

I'm now on very small doses of clonazepam and promethazine hydrochloride (a sedative antihistamine), and my FM-symptoms got less (I have mainly CFIDS with some FM-symptoms), and I gained energy at daytime. (See also *Cheney* article on the web on *Clonazepam*)

However, different people seem to do well with rather different things, when it comes to sleep.
    Susanne

4. Katseye

Katseye New Member

I favor both Ambein and Kolonopin. Unlike other seditives, it is short acting (doesn't stay in the system long) therefore it doesn't cause the dreaded hangover affect. I feel well rested the next day. The over the counter sleep aids like Tylenol PM or Excedrin PM make me feel drugged the entire next day as do the antidepressants such as Elavil or Trazadone. I look and feel like a character out of The Night of the Living Dead!
  5. Dara

Dara New Member

that I use to take every night so I could go to sleep. I have NEVER been able to go to bed and just fall asleep. Well, my therapist wrote me a prescription for Effexor and it has literally been a godsend to me. I go to bed, and fall right to sleep, yet it does not make me the least bit groggy. Anyway, I take the Ambien off and on and I've been taking it now for about six months. I've had no side affects and feel no differently in the morning whether I've taken it or not. My daytime fatigue is still the same but at least I'm not tossing and turning for hours at night.

Dara
  6. selma

selma New Member

taking it for years. It helps me get to sleep at night since the pain is so bad. I try andcut it down to 3/4 and 1/2 at times. It only lasts a short time. I don't care if it's addicting.
  7. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

Head case I mean!!!!

I have been on it for about a yr but I started on it in a specific program to get off benzodiazepenes. I was on librium (valium, xanax, etc) for 12 yrs for anxiety and I was so addicted, it was really scary, about as bad as heroin addiction I think, anyway, there is a specific program to go thru and remeron was a part of it too. I have often wondered if I went back on benzo's if I would kick this DD. Been off benzo's completely since July 1. The ambien I have heard is addictive, oh well, it is the only thing that will allow me to sleep. Benzo's cause permanent brain changes after long term use, your brain cannot go to sleep w/o help.
    Works well for me.
    Jaci
  8. fibolady

fibolady New Member

i have taken ambien for years. i've only been off once (for a week). no problems here.

warm regards, fibolady
  9. bre_ann

bre_ann New Member

and I can't seem to sleep well without it. I talked to my rheumy about it yesterday and he said it's not addictive. I also, though, only have to take a very small amount. My dosage is 10mg but I only take 1/3 of one every night. Can't sleep good without it though and am not as fatigued anymore. So, I don't plan on stopping it any time soon.
    Brenda
  10. Sindy-Uk

Sindy-Uk New Member

for your input. Sorry,for the late reply, I have been away from my computer for a few days. I think I will carry on with the Ambien for some time.
    Thanks again

Satin