how long have you worked a trigger point

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sallys, Jun 9, 2006.

1. sallys

sallys New Member

before you finally felt a difference in it.

i've been using a tennis ball to work some in my upper back and so my family constantly asked any difference yet and of course i have to say not yet.

just wondering if any of u recall how long it took before it became less tight and therefore less painful?

sally
  2. sallys

sallys New Member

i've been working some of these points at least an hour, but there is no difference - does that just mean they are very tight - i've had them for years.

anyone else have really stubborn areas?

sallys
  3. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I have had the same trigger point's for yrs.

No amount of physical therapy or massage has gotten rid of them.

They go down and become less painful from time to time but are alway's there.

I have the Trigger point therapy book and my husband is learning what to do so hopefully we can get them to finally release for good.

I also go to a myofascial therapist. I have a hard time going to see her on a regular basis because I can't drive, so if I can start going i hope that will help as well.

best wishes,

Claudia
  4. mrsjethro

mrsjethro New Member

that I bought from massage warehouse. Best money I ever spent!! It's stiff enough and curved just right that I can even get to those that are just underneath my shoulder blades. I actually only found out about trigger points a few months ago, but with using this tool, I could actually tell some difference within a few hours of using it. I had to stay at it for a while (probably 3 or 4 weeks because I had had them for so long and they were so knotted up) before they really eased up on a steady basis, and am going to have to get after them again now because they are getting sore again and I haven't used it in a few weeks. I bought the tool and the trigger point therapy workbook (second edition) from a bookstore and they have saved me a lot of additional pain. The workbook is packed with a lot of really helpful information. The trigger points that you are working may not be the only ones that need working. I had knots I didn't even know I had until I started reading and studying about them. The secondary Trps was what was causing the pain, but I wasn't getting to the original ones until I read what to look for and where to look. This is all fairly new to me. I wasn't getting much relief from the tennis ball, but I still take it on short trips or long car rides because it's easier to pack around. I put mine in a sock so I can control it behind my back a little better. Hope you find what works best for you.....soon. Good luck!
  5. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Cold packs help take the pain out of trigger points. I have one on my right shoulder blade right now.

If you have never had professional myofascial release therapy, it might help you to have it done. You will feel how they work on the trigger points. It is not the rubbing and kneading of conventional massage. That can make a trigger point worse.
  6. gladone

gladone New Member

Sally,

I do my trigger piont massage in my Jacuzzi with the temp. at 98-100 degrees. The warm water allows you to relax more than usual.

I was given the info from my massage tharapist. My own experience is that it really seems to help. You could also do this in a warm bath.

Along with this I also have regular Thai massage. This is a massage a bit like yoga lasting approx. 1 1/2 hrs.. Only the therapist does all the work and I just get to lie there. I feel amazing when I'm done. My best day's are Thai day's.

This type of massage has been a God send for me and my trigger points. I am a very limber person but due to this DD I can no longer move my body like I used to.

This Thai massage allows me to have the rang of motion without the impact on my body.

Hope this info helps,
    Gladone

7. sallys

sallys New Member

i didn't know that you could actually make a trigger point worse by massaging it incorectly - this is confusing.

sallys
  8. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Hayleycole has a good point. As long as you listen to your body, you should be alright. I think it is primarily getting a massage from a regular massage therapist that does not know about trigger points that can make you worse.
  9. TxSongBird

TxSongBird New Member

I have now gone to weekly one hour trigger point massages for the massage therapist to work the triggers in my upper back, shoulders, neck and arms. I had a full one hour session yesterday and have to say I am pretty sore on my left side this morning. But the one hour session makes me feel so much better, that I will continue to get these massages every week.

TxSongBird
  10. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

briuse alot when you work on your trigger points? It seems when I work on the ones in my outer thighs (there are alot of them all around each other) I get lots of briuses. I am just using my fingers at this point.
    Maybe I just briuse very easily.

Raz