How long is liquid amox., good for really????1 YEAR

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by saphire27, Mar 10, 2006.

1. saphire27

saphire27 New Member

My little boy has a sore throat, a month ago he had strep, and gave me soooo much amoxillcilin for it, don't know why so much this time. But he has alot left over for another round, but i'm worried about the run out date,

It says discard after 2/10/07, so it must be still good, usually we only get a little meds, the have to throw it out! But this is ALOT and says the discard date, our fill date was 2/10/06, so i guess it's good for a year??HMMM
  2. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

Please, please -

Do not ever go beyond an expiration date any significant amount of time.

Drugs have expiration dates for a reason (and not just to make more money) - companies have to prove to the FDA how long their medicine is good for - a shelf life. What we do to prove that is that we make a batch of the drug and put it on stability. Then we analyze that drug on a monthly basis as it gets older and older from the date of manufacture to see if it still meets its requirements for identity, quality, strength and purity. It is this laboratory data that helps the FDA decide what an expiration date should be.

Drugs that are past their expiration date frequently are sub-potent (the drug has degraded to outside its therapeutic usefulness), or the levels of degradation products have risen to unacceptable limits (i.e. - based on the toxicologic studies done on the product), or the products preservatives lose potency over time eventually allowing pathogenic bacteria to proliferate, etc.

Every drug has a different stability profile. Even from manufacturer to manufactuer for the same drug - the expiration dating might be different based on the actual data submitted to the FDA by that particular company.

Amoxi liquid is "reconstituted". Usually the dry powder will have one expiration date, and then when you make up the solution, the solution itself will have it's own expiration date based on the date that it was made into solution.

Expiration dates are intended to protect all patients (and also the drug companies themselves) so that no one ends up getting sick or not better from an ineffective or sub-standard medicine.

Double check with your pharmacy - sometimes their computerized systems automatically put one year from the date of filling (i.e. tablets) - ask what is the expiration date on the solution itself to make absolutely sure.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie

[This Message was Edited on 03/10/2006]
  3. LindaH

LindaH New Member

She said the expiration date is 2/10/2007. That would mean it should still be good. Whenever there is a doubt talk to the pharmacist that filled it.

Linda
  4. dobrydy

dobrydy New Member

Usually expiration date is set with the a lot of time to spare, so for the pills it is less of a concern. One known exeption: doxycyclin and tetracyclin pills (could be really harmful if old).
    Liquids are less stable than pills, but look for change of color or texture, formation of two layers in the liquid ot really bas smell (the antibiotic itself smells unpleasant, but when it goes bad the smell is really bad).
  5. ma2alex

ma2alex New Member

I would recomend you throw it out. The date was probably for the powder, not the reconstituted liquid. These are usually only good for a few weeks. Besides, you really shouldn't give him an antibiotic for this sore throat, it was prescribed for the last one. If that one never completely went away, then he probably needs a new drug. If it did go away, then the antibiotic worked and this new sore throat could be a virus or something different. PLease, please don't give your son an antibiotic without talking to his doctor first. You really could do more harm than good.
  6. day2day

day2day Member

Any unused liquid amoxicillin should be discarded after 14 days.

The expiration date you are looking at is when it is in powder form before filled by the pharmacist. Once the phamacist mixes it, what ever is left over should be discarded after using the amoxicillion for the full course as prescribed by the physician.

If you son is having another bout of sore throat, you should bring him in to be seen again, they will have to see if he is having a relapse of strep and may have to give him a stronger anti-biotic, or determine that is a viral problem and might not even prescribe it at all.

This is only from my own experience of my many many trips with my son who was laden with all types of ear, and throat stuff when he was up to age 6.

good luck, never fun to have you kids sick.
    day2
  7. saphire27

saphire27 New Member

The ex. date was for it in powder form, i called the pharmacy. I should've known that, duhhh! thank god i didn't giveit to him.

He is feeling better, but i am taking to to his doctor tomorrow anyway.
    Thanks!!
  8. day2day

day2day Member

Glad your son is feeling better, and also that you posted. Better safe then sorry.

day2
  9. saphire27

saphire27 New Member

the doctor said it's strep again.