How long to get off cymbalta

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by goldilox, Apr 25, 2012.

1. goldilox

goldilox Member

Hi All,

I posted not that long ago and I still have really bad symptoms from getting off
    the cymbalta - its so horrible I feel SO achy and my stomach is always in knots.

I have been taking prozac which I have been on before and never had these side effects - I don't know how long I can deal with this anymore!!! Its already been
    nearly 4 weeks!

Please anyone let me know,

2. PositivePatty

PositivePatty New Member

Hi Sue,

I had a horrible time with Cymbalta. Never could go to the bathroom and when I did it was just a bit of diarrhea. I've been off it about 3 weeks now and back on a small dose, 20 mg Prozac and 37.5 mg Effexor and am finally feeling a bit better. Hang in there. It's been difficult for me to get on the right combo of meds as I also have Bipolar II disorder.

Take care,

Patty :)
  3. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

I had a wonderful experience with Cymbalta. I took it for a year and a half and it took all of my FM pain away. It was like a little miracle for me. After that year and a half I just all of the sudden started having tons of pain everywhere. It just kept getting worse so my doctor decided it wasn't working anymore and weaned me off. I didn't have any troubles weaning. My dose was only 60mg though which is half the normal dose. What dose were you on? I really hope you feel better.

4. jolena1966

jolena1966 New Member

Hi Sue,
    If you don't mind my asking, Does your DR have you taking the Cymbalta for FM pain as well as depression or do you take it only for depression. And has he/she tried you on Celexa yet? The reason that I ask is I have FM as well and a number of other ailments that could keep a DR in business for life treating me alone. Before I was finally diagnosed with FM, I took Prozac after after trying every other depression Med on the market, they either made me too dozy to drive to work and stay awake at work once I got there, made my vision so blurry I couldn't see to drive or do my job (which was fun trying to explain to my supervisor from the lower regions of hell). The Prozac worked wonderful for 3 years until I lost the job and had no insurance. Once I was able to see a DR again he put me on Celexa which made me a little sleepy at first but I got used to it and it worked great. Than after 6 moths and a mess of tests he told me that I wasn't crazy after al that I really did have Fibromyalgia to go with my Chiari Malformation, my Scoliosis, my blinding debilitating migraines, my Prurigo Nodularis, my Sever Anemia, my Arthritis, my spinal tumors and herniated discs with degenerative discs disease, my Restless leg syndrome, my Asthma, IBS, Acid Reflux, oh yea and my hair and eyebrows/lashes frequently fall out, plus I am Bipolar. I am only 46 and I am falling apart. I cry all the time, but I thank goodness that I found this board today, I may find some others who are going through some similar things and if not it's nice to have someone to chat with sometimes that is sympathetic to your everyday pains and challenges. God Bless All!
  5. goldilox

goldilox Member

Thankyou for emailing - no I have not tried celexa. I have fibro and depression
    and most days I just ache all over. I'm finally started to feel a bit better getting off the cymbalta and back now on the prozac.

I'm seeing my psych tomorrow.

Thanks again,

(hope you are well and God Bless)
  6. aolmstead28

aolmstead28 New Member

Hi Sue,

I know I'm seeing this a few weeks later, but I have been on Cymbalta twice (the first time for about a year, and now on it again). When I went off Cymbalta the first time, it was not great. I went off even slower than my dr had recommended, and had tons of lightheadedness/dizziness/could barely walk some days. These issues probably lasted for two months while I was going off. I have also known others who have had a hard time going off Cymbalta.

My advice would be to go off slowly - and I mean very slowly! When/if I ever go off Cymbalta again, I think I will go off2 or 3 times more slowly than the dr recommends. Hope you are feeling better!

7. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

My doctor told me to cut in half then half again.....I don't think so. Every night I opened up a capsule and counted out more little "beads". That way my body got adjusted to a smaller and smaller dose. I think it took me about 2 months to get off it. Did you know there are about l00 little beads in that capsule!
  8. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I am on Cymbalta, 60 mgs a day. My dr. said they help with the pain and depression. At first, I was on 60, up to 90, then up to 120. I told my dr. that I didn't like taking so much meds so he lowered me back down to 60 mgs. a day, which has been fine so far.

Thank you!

[This Message was Edited on 05/29/2012]
  9. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

So sorry to hear you are still suffering coming off of Cymbalta. I hope it clears up soon. Hugs!