How long until Methotrexate will start working?

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by lindsay_bisby, May 18, 2010.

1. lindsay_bisby

lindsay_bisby New Member

Hello, I'm new to this whole autoimmune disease thing. I'm 19 years old and after months of seeking a diagnosis, have been told that I have an Undifinative Connective Tissue Disease that they believe will probably become full-blown Rheumatoid Arthritis and Lupus within the next few years. My rheumatolagist began me on Planqunil and Methotrexate injections recently and I am just wondering when I should start seeing any affect from these drugs. From what I understand, it will probably take around 8 weeks to start seeing any results from the Planqunil, but I don't really know much about Methotrexate yet. I took my first injection yesterday at the doctors office, and I will begin doing the injections myself next week (I'm super nervous!) but I am just curious what I should expect to see from this drug. I am already constantly fatigued and regularly have stomach upset, so I don't even know if I would be able to tell if those side-effects popped up! But I would just like to know what kind of relief to expect. I had good results from Humira (it hurt like the dickens going in though!) but for whatever reason, my rheumy things Methotrexate should provide the most relief.

Anyway, if someone could provide me any information, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
  2. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I have systemic lupus, malar lupus and suspected discoid lupus on the face. Just an alert on the Plaquenil. I used to take Plaquenil for the lupus and it impacted my eyes and gave me early cataracts caused by the medication. Medication cataracts are different from cataracts caused by age, and they can grow at a fast pace in a short time--one of mine got huge in a short time. So I had to get cataract implants at an early age. GET EYE CHECKUPS with an ophthalmologist every 6 months without fail and your eyesight depends on it. The doctors took me off the Plaquenil and have not replaced it with anything because I am allergic to steroids. Good luck.