How many 50 or over?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by wld285, Apr 6, 2007.

1. wld285

wld285 New Member

I'm just curious because sometimes I feel like I,m the only one. Younger people do have the advantage that there is some help now, and studies are being done. I have had CFS for 30+ yrs., and until the 80's never I never heard the word.

Have been seeking help all these years, and feel like my time is running out. It can get very depressing at times.

Best to you all!
    Linda
  2. mossrose101

mossrose101 New Member

Hi wld! And no, you are not the only one. I will be 50 this month and was just dx'd 6 months ago.

I dont know if I have had this since a teenager but I have had some strange illnesses. When a teenager, they thought I had rheumatic fever and missed my senior year of high school. Eventually went for a 2nd opinion and doc. said he didnt think I had that, so never really knew what was wrong with me at that time.

I read your bio and was curious what the FFC or FCC in Phila. was? I live in PA. so just curious. Are you still working PT? How do you handle that? I have been out of work for over a year now and cant imagine what I would do if I had to keep to someone else's schedule.

Im sorry you have had to deal with this for so long. There are times I feel like Im 80 yrs. old (Im sure you know what I mean). Sometimes I ask myself...is this how 50 is supposed to feel?

Glad to hear you have your g-babies close. Mine are in Iowa and we only see them about once a year. We do have plans to move back there but it wont come soon enough for me!

Take care!
  3. Didoe

Didoe New Member

Hi wld

The few times I mentioned, even here, among fellow sufferers of FM, that I had to wait TWENTY years for a correct diagnosis, I was told something like, oh c'mon, its a clear diagnosis, you either have it or you dont.

I'm early fifties,I dont expect a 'cure' in my lifetime but it would be amazing to know a cause.

4. wld285

wld285 New Member

It is one of the Fatigue Fybromyalgia Clinics. That is all they deal with, but also expensive. I have learned alot of things about myself (they do alot of tests not done by the regular MD's). I like my doc alot, but seems like it's going slow.

I do still work partime in a house with developmental disabilities, which can be a real burnout job. I just have to push myself all the time, but I have been doing that since a teen.

Thanks for replying!!!
    Linda
  5. Cinderbug

Cinderbug New Member

My family doctor of 30 years told me I aged 20 years in the 1st 6 months after I aquired CFS. I had FMS for years before the CFS but it's the CFS dx 1 1/2 years ago that had aged me and made me home bound.

I feel for ya having it that long At least I had 50 relatively good years!

Cindy
  6. wld285

wld285 New Member

I don't expect a "cure" in my lifetime either, just to feel a little better, and do some things I never have been able to do.

Thanks for your reply!
    Linda
  7. Engel

Engel New Member

I have felt bad since 1982 ... but have really been "peaking" with this FMS that past several years. I have been walking with a cane for 2 years now. I just turned 53 but feel 75. :-(
  8. greatgran

greatgran Member

Had CFS for 7 years, was treated for anxiety /depression the first 3. Still doubt my Dx often..Hey, am I the oldest?

I was bedridden for about 2 years, wouldn't leave the house, then decided I couldn't live this way . I started doing and getting out slowly and now am not bedridden every day just on days when I have over done.

This is the most miserable thing that has happened to me..It is so unpredictable and I never feel good, there are just days better than others..

To this date I have not found a medicine or anything that helps..I do take xanax which helps me tolerate..

God Bless each of you,
    greatgran
  9. openyourmind

openyourmind New Member

I am 65 and have suffered with this mostly unrecognized syndrome my whole life----there always seemed some new problem for doctor visit when I was younger--chest pain, bladder pain, spasms in esophagus, shoulder pain, tmj, mvp, etc--but I never put it all together until the internet made it possible to research it my self--I rarely visit doctors any more--not one ever seemed to make the connection--and most seemed condescending--in a roll your eyes kind of way--

now I can look back and see the whole pattern and it repeats several generations and now with siblings and cousins--there is definitely is some kind of genetic link--at least in the form that I have--

hoping for some kind of relief in my life time, but living life to the fullest(at least the best that I can--thru a mantra of pain)
    [This Message was Edited on 04/07/2007]
  10. debhun

debhun New Member

I am 51 and I know how you feel. I would love to have my life back but at time I think it is to late for me.

Happy Easter
    Deb
  11. Didoe

Didoe New Member

greatgran
    It takes great strength to have this illness and to force yourself to get up and get out. Depression, take drugs- were the first things docs said to me and the drugs made things worse for years.

I've reached a point I think, where so much has been lost, on so many levels and ways, it's just a point of principle to fight back even, when it means more pain or exhaustion. It s either do that or just get in bed and wait...

You go grrrrl, you're an inspiration.
  12. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

I am 54, but I look only 64!
  13. wld285

wld285 New Member

First everyone, thanks for not making me feel I am the only one!

And Yeppers.....don't give up hope. Many , many times I just felt like giving up and not searching for help anymore. I told myself going to the FFC was going to be my last quest, however I'm not sure I will ever really give up hope. There may be some hope for us somewhere....at least make life a little more tolerable. It's really sad though, it will cost alot of money(I have already spent a fortune over the years and still am).

Thank you everyon, and no matter our age, let's not give up!!!
    Linda
  14. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

Im 52 and was diagnosed 3 yrs ago

Suzette
  15. Goldenlight

Goldenlight New Member

I'm 54. Quite thankfully I have been feeling pretty well the last week or so. Its amazing how a few good days makes me forget real fast how absolutely awful I feel most other days. I've had CFS and FM for about 13 years although the diagnosis was pinned down only about 5 years ago to primarily CFS. Early on doctors were confused and none of my symptoms were taken very seriously -- a common story. I usually have considerably less energy than my parents who are in their early 80s. I mourn for my life that "might have been" but keep trying to make the best of what I do have. I also had quite a few health issues as a child and through early adulthood. I wonder if they are all connected in some way.

Best wishes for improved health and quality of life to all of you,

Goldenlight
  16. wld285

wld285 New Member

What you said, I could have also said word for word about myself and the way I feel. I always try to stop myself when I start thinking "why couldn't I have had a normal life". It sometimes makes me very bitter, but I really try not to do that anymore.

I can't give up hope because that is part of what makes me keep going.

All the best to you,
    Linda
  17. Goldenlight

Goldenlight New Member

You are right. We can't dwell on what might have been but it sure is hard some days, isn't it? When I have some good days I think I'm getting better and am putting this all behind me. My world brightens and I look ahead to all the things I want to do. THEN -- all the symptoms return and it is so very hard dealing with that. We know that our mind, body, and spirit are all connected and it is so important to try stay in a state of being grateful for what we do have and not in one of emotional turmoil and distress since that also causes symptoms to increase. That old saying, "When you have your health, you have everything," sure says it all.

Best wishes to you,

Goldenlight
  18. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

61 here.

I had been worse, feeling better. By no means however would I declare this a "remission." I constantly work at being pain free.

Was dx'd over 25 years ago.

Fondly, June

19. Daisys

Daisys Member

I'm 55 and have had CFIDS for 29 years. Actually, I was showing some signs of losing energy before that, but that's the year I got a bad flu that never went away.

Later, sometime in the early 80s, I was diagnosed with FM. Now, my new doctor thinks I have Lyme and I'm being tested for it.

I have the remitting/relapsing kind of illness, so I've had some good months/years in there to remember.
  20. wld285

wld285 New Member

You said it all!!!!! Sometimes it's hard, very hard. It seems like my good days are fewew and fewer, that scares me.

Thanks all,
    Linda