How many are 50 to 100 pounds over weight?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BEARANDBUGSMOM, Oct 1, 2006.

1. BEARANDBUGSMOM

BEARANDBUGSMOM New Member

How many are 50-100 pounds over weight? Or even more? I am one of those morbidly obese folks, I lost a lot of weight about 12 years ago and now it is all back plus more. I am trying to watch what I eat now, but its like a viscious circle, you dont feel good and are too tired to stand and make healthy food so you go in the kitchen and grab easy food. I am trying to stop that and take a little better care of myself.

I always thought my pain and stiffness and everything else that was wrong was from being overweight and I was recently diagnosed with fibro/cfs and I guess that has been a part of my life for a long time. I had been researching on the internet for whatever my problem could be because I know other overweight folks and they can run circles around me, I have a cousin who has been overweight her entire life and she never hurts, she's always going and practicly never has a headache.

I just thought I would throw this out to see how many others are in the same situation that I am in.

It's soo incredibly hard to exercise, I hurt for days and the stiffness is horrible. For a week afterward I feel like someone has beat me with a bat! The only thing that helps is pain medication and of coarse doc doesn't like to give out too much of that.

Blessings,
    Kelly

[This Message was Edited on 10/01/2006]
  2. Beachtrekker1

Beachtrekker1 New Member

Ditto here! Since my Fibro has gotten so bad I have put on 50 punds and I HATE it!!!!!!!! Does anyone else get really puffy looking? I feel like the Pillsbury Dough girl. You know things are bad is when you catch a glimpse of yourself and you don't recognize yourself! Oh I miss the days whrn people thought I was 10 years younger than I was...
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

Unfortunately, I am in this category. I won't say how much overweight, though!

I have lost 25 lbs. in the last 6 months, but that's not enough for my arthritic joints, bad back and knees, etc.

I have been thinking about having the gastric bypass surgery, and I am in "the program" getting all of the required testing done, but now I am thinking more about the lap-band surgery rather than the bypass.

Anyone had the lapband surgery done?

Janet
  4. NightAngel

NightAngel New Member

I am 5' 8" tall, female, 47 yrs old, medium frame, so I should weigh between 136-150 pounds (according to the "Standard Weight Chart" I found online.) I remember when I weighed 150 pounds I was just a tad too skinny. I am 209 pounds now and I want to get down to 160, so I am 49 pounds overweight according to what *I* think I should weigh. This past year I lost 36 pounds but gained back 5.

My husband and I have been watching that show "The Biggest Loser" and are getting revved up to diet again! That show is so encouraging! I cannot watch that show without crying.

By the way, I was diagnosed with FMS when I was about 29 or 30 and I wasn't overweight then.
  5. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

It's a constant battle. I'd like to lose about sixty-five pounds. Years of yo-yo weight between normal and way too heavy. I really get in trouble when the fatigue sets in.
  6. 143alan

143alan New Member

I've always been large, but not categorized as morbidly obese. Now I'm WAY morbidly obese. I've been gaining weight steadily over the years despite trying everything to stop gaining. I've picked up an extra 20 pounds in just the past 3 months while being in a big FM flare. Didn't know that was what was happening until I got on this board, because my rheumatologist doesn't tell me anything.

I hate all this weight, makes me feel miserable, look terrible and yes I look very old now. I'm 45 and look at least in the 60s. I understand what you mean about preparing food when you can't stand long enough to cook. I still do stand there and cook and the best thing I ever bought was a microwave steamer and I love steamed veggies. I buy the cheap bags of frozen veggies like California Blend w/ broccoli, cauliflower and carrots sprinkle some Mrs. Dash on them, add a little pat of fake butter and steam them for about 10 minutes and they're great. I would love to use fresh veggies but I can't afford them.

It's sad and adds to our weight problems also that it's cheaper to buy "junk" than food that's good for us. You can buy a frozen Pizza like Totinos for $.99 but it cost $1.49 for a lb of snap beans. If anything says low or reduced fat the price almost doubles. Meat that has less or reduced fat is more expensive too.

Has anyone else noticed too that the prices in food change with the dieting trends. When the focus was on low-no carbs and meat and protein was in, the price of meat and protein items shot through the roof because of demand on top of the price of bread items since they claimed their sales were down and they had to cover costs. Can't win for losing situation.

I use to be a long-distance runner and walker and loved it. Had to stop when degenerative disc disease took over the spine and especially messed up the lumbar discs. It didn't take long for the weight gain to kick in when the exercise stopped and made me regret ever exercising to start off with. I know docs hate to hear that and I use to be a health nut and was addicted to exercising but it does happen...within a few months, sometimes weeks of stopping exercise when your body is use to it..it will start gaining weight and storing fat at an incredible rate and the weight gain is almost over night it seems.

I've ranted enough on this topic I guess. Sorry to make it so long.
    Thanks for your post.
    Nancy
  7. Sooze07

Sooze07 New Member

Around the time I first experienced symptoms I gained a great deal of weight and quickly(about 70 pounds in a year). I was actually eating healthier since I was nursing my baby. I thought maybe hormonal changes caused the weight gain. Now I believe the fibro causes some kind of change to our bodies that causing this dramatic gain.
    Of course it is so difficult to get enough excersize to make a difference. I also have experienced longterm injuries due to trying to excersize. I tend to be in denial about what I can and can't do. I have only small successes in weight loss. I keep trying and that's what it takes.
    Do you get crazy from the pain? Sometimes I'd do anything to get out of my body. How do you cope?
    Sue
  8. Suzan

Suzan New Member

I just got on the scale..and since the cooler weather has stopped me from pool exercising...I have gone up at least 5 pounds..UGH. I am about 50 pounds overweight..that number seems almost insurmountable to me! I spent the first 40 years of my life being thin...then after 40 , and a hysterectomy ..added a few pounds...But since the lovely guest fibromyalgia has taken up residence in my body...I have just gone up! Just under that 200# mark at the moment..and it is freaking me out!
    I make PLANS to lose those pounds...buying more fresh produce...even bought a walking in the living room dvd...but when it comes right down to it...I don't feel good enough often enough to implement these things. I just spent the last 3 weeks flaring badly...the last couple days have been pretty good in comparison...but 3 good days doesn't even equal one pound lost....LOL

I think that the biggest problem for me is the lack of movement. There isn't a place close for me to get in the water over the winter, and that is what I find is the best place for me to MOVE! So, what do I do? I am not sure!

For so many reasons I dont' want to retain these pounds...vanity is one reason..but my health..and my comfort are very important as well. I am not sure how to fix this issue...I TOTALLY understand the equation...calories in vs. calories expended. But, when your body is pain..and the fatigue is ever present...Taking care of the other "issues" that I have doesn't always hit the top of my to-do list.

I would LOVE to get help with this weight issue...but not sure what to do!
  9. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

You can put me in that category. Between the weight I gained with different meds and the snacking I do when I am lonely and discouraged I have been doing a lot of emotional eating.

I recently read "Overcoming Overeating" which is a book about not dieting and "When Women Stop Hating their Bodies". I have enjoyed both of them and am now trying to work on the exercises to stop eating from emotional reasons.

hugs Marion
  10. meme11

meme11 New Member

You are right on . Since i was so skinny growing up and Never worried about my weight, i am so distraught over the weight gain. I won't go around anyone I know, so I have isolated myself. I think the clothes I wear now, big and baggy are hideous. I never weighed this much when I was pregnant. It's all in my stomache. My legs and arms are still skinny. Picture that. I didn't know what was happening. No diet will get rid of this. I am so ashamed of the way I look. My dr says it could be from all the cortisone, pretisone shots I have had to get over the years, and just got another last week. i hate looking like this. Is it the fibro? What can we do? Meme
  11. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

I gained about 50 lbs when I was put on Elavil. I classify as "morbidly obese" now but no one believes it (at least that's good!)

It seems anytime I really want to get out and exercise, I have a flare the next day so I can't. My gym membership is wasting away and ack!

I've been eating healthier foods but it still doesn't help I have a big enough appetite for four people. Always have! Dunno how I was so skinny when I was little...

I lost a few pounds when I first changed my diet and dropped the elavil, but now it's just stuck going nowhere again. That's better than up though.
  12. opticaltech

opticaltech New Member

This is the worst thing that has happened......I had spinal fusion surgery in nov 05 and have gained sooo much since then.......I had a back injury at work in 04 and there it started...Now battling with the SS and Work comp.....go figure...how could a back injury cause this??????????Rheumy said not enough restful nites sleep...I guess........Lina
  13. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

I have been battling the bulge for for longer then the fibro but since getting it the DD it was made even worse. Almost all the pills I take have the side effect that says may cause weight. Well I'm here to tell you it does cause weight gain. I don't cook a lot so alot of my food is the easy food but there are a lot of nuternial micowave meals out there now that take only a few mins. I also watch what I eat but the biggest thing is I've stopped drinking so much soda and switched to drinking a lot of water. I have to pee all the time lol but it does help with getting weight off for me......SueF
  14. carebelle

carebelle New Member

about 10 years ago my doctors put me on steroids to get rid of a bad rash with large lumps. I gained over a hundred pounds and have never been able to loose it.

other then FM/CFS this is the thing that bothers me the most.Weight gain . I have never felt like I have been in the right size body since that much weight gain.
    I also have trouble with even walking or exercising and will end up in bed if I over do it.
  15. supergirl99

supergirl99 New Member

I am overweight. I lost weight after having my baby but put it all back on and more. I was diagnosed with cfs in July so it is very hard to excersize without great comebacks. I have also been diagnosed with Policystic Ovarian Syndrome (Spelling) which effects your body's reaction to insulin (apparently), so this seems to be the reason that I am finding it so hard to loose the weight. I only found out my diagnosis on both counts because I ditched my useless 'couldn't care less' doctor for a much more thorough and caring one! My old doctor just put everything down to 'depression' and my 'completely overly active irritable bowel'. My new doctor, however, was more than willing to investigate my problems and found answers! Being overweight annoys me and makes me feel ugly, my husband loves me though and I try to not let it get to me. My doc says the weight will come off now i'm on the right medication for the Policystic Ovaries. (Don't have cysts by the way , thankfully, just the hormone imbalance, so shouldn't stop us from having any more children).

x
  16. angiecw71

angiecw71 New Member

Unfortunately, I am sooo disappointed in myself. This past year has been a rough one, with being sick all the time. I have gained a lot of weight. I lost 120 pounds about 7 years ago. I gained it all back plus some.

i would love to have gastric bypass or lap band. But insurance wont pay for it. I just got approved for medicaid for 6 months, but I don't think they pay for it either. The weight gain has made me depressed.

Angie
  17. s--raquel

s--raquel New Member

Kelly,
    Hi...The last thing I wanna talk about is weight issues...but weight is ALWAYS on my mind anyway...so
    just wanted to share that it is an absolute demon in my
    life and I struggle with it constantly...

Have since I was little...

The reasons I'm overweight...I have a love/hate relationship with food...I turn to it for everything...
    I also hate it because it controls me and my thoughts....

This DD has not helped b/c I exercise less, sleep more,
    meds, carb and sugar cravings!!!!

I have been dieting since I was 9...
    diet shakes..
    Dr. assisted diets...
    tried throwing up several times but would just eat again
    after...
    over the counter diet pills...
    Prescription diet pills...
    low-fat..
    low-carb...
    calorie counting...
    Gastric bypass 5 years ago...
    (and yes, I exercised....)

You can see this is a horrible and very emotional thing for
    me...I am being honest...I am at my witts end.... It has not been a vainity thing for years...I fear for my health..
    but still can not control my eating habbits...

I am starting a 12 step program this friday for addictions...I am gonna work these steps with everything I
    have !!!

If I hear "just eat less, exercise more....well, I'm sure
    people mean well and i'm sure this helps some...
    hell, it helped me when I was 12....but for some of us...
    this is a horrible battle and so far I am loosing...but I wont't quit fighting

I guess I needed to vent today...not towards anyone...just
    vent...

my post probably didn't help...I don't mean to discourage anyone...eating well and exercising are great and I hope no one else shares the struggle I have...
  18. s--raquel

s--raquel New Member

Just read my post and I'm glad I'm starting a program...I am obviously more than a little discouraged and emotional about it all!!

I also read the other posts...to anyone asking about the bypass...I had it done 5 years ago. If you would ask my
    opinion on it 2 years after I had it done I was all for it...But then I got a hyrnia(sp?) and had to have it repaired and I have never been the same...the hyrnia surgery was worse than the bypass and my fm/cfs symptoms
    started soon after...

I have heard better things about the lap/band but don't know enough about it to be of any help...

I do believe that if you have struggled with emotional issues with food...you need to work on those before,during, and after a bypass surgery....Your tummy gets smaller but the mind is still the same....

Also, if any of you already have this DD...I don't know how
    your body could take it....I could not handle it now...regular dr visits are too much sometimes for me now...
    sorry so long AGAIN!!!
  19. rose52

rose52 New Member

Im too am extremly overweight now. Just five years ago I was one twenty five now .. you can add a 2 in front.. and 57 behind. Im extremly depressed and dont know how to get my weight back down. If I try walking.. even for 10 minutes.. for an exercise walk.. im down and out.. even trying to clean house hoping the mopping will help.. but that only adds to the pain. So its like im in a NO WIN situation.
    I guess if we can survive fibromyalgia.. we have to find a way to survive the weight gain by looking and liking who we are as an individual. Unique in who we are.. by the Grace of God.
  20. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

with FMS. I used to be able to exercise and do weight training, but had to quit that in 1996 and then gained all the weight from then to now.

I'm trying to lose it but I end up losing a few pounds then putting it right back on. I hardly have enough energy to do the laundry, much less take up a walking program or anything like that. I want to try low impact aerobics, but I keep forgetting to start that.

The fatigue is just killing me...

Hugs,
    Faye