How many are forced to work just to make ends meet?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by GBHope, Jul 15, 2008.

1. GBHope

GBHope New Member

I'm so frustrated. It just seems like the bills keep on piling up. How many of us are forced to work full-time to make ends meet? I feel like I'm almost being forces too because we don't have enough to pay our bills.

2. HobbitMom

HobbitMom New Member

I am working full time and it seems that my pay does not cover what it use to. I am thinking about getting a part time job just to buy food. I have to decide if I want to eat, buy my meds, put gas in the car, or pay my bills! Maybe one day this will change.

3. dinda

dinda New Member

If anyone is interested send me a private message and I can send you some links to join some paid to click sites. If you aren't familiar with them all you do is click on ads and emails. The month of July I have earned $40 just clicking on ads. It's not a lot of money but it's something to do when I can't sleep or just don't feel like getting off the couch.

I hope to be able to substitute teach again this year. It's a great part time job because if I'm having a bad day I don't have to work and it's not a problem with the school since there are other people to sub.

Hope everyone has a pain free day. Unfortunately I'm already in pain today. Very stiff neck and lot's of back pain.

I just reliazed it may not be appropriate to post about work at home sites on the internet. I hope I haven't violated any rules for the forum. If I have someone please let me know. Thanks. It's been a long night without much sleep. Have a great day everyone. [This Message was Edited on 07/16/2008]
  4. layla1954

layla1954 New Member

Hi GBHope,
    I've just gone through a divorce, (like I needed that stress, but it wasn't my choice). I've always had to work but now have only myself to depend on; I get by but I don't see EVER being able to retire.

Working full time takes ALL my energy and when I get home I am pretty wiped out. I usually rest most of the weekend to recover, and do the housework, laundry, shopping for groceries, etc. in bits and pieces... I'm never "caught up." Fun? Recreation? Vacation? Ha. It's all about survival.

I feel like this DD has stolen my life. I want my old life back. :-|

Sorry for the rant.

layla1954 (Lee Ann)
  5. tamsyn

tamsyn Member

Hi, I was a single parent for twenty years and had ME for at least half that time. Luckily I've had a job at home (teaching distance learning courses)But there are days when working is very hard. However, there was really no other option except disability I guess -- and who could live, never mind raise a child, on that miniscule amount? I have severely cut back and simplified my lifestyle in order to get by. But I am also in debt for medical costs and ect. There are lots of things I'd still like to try for this illness but cannot afford them. Now I got married and so my hubby helps with household costs...we'll never be able to retire though. Neither of us have pension plans or medical insurance or anything else that some folks seem to take for granted. I seriously don't know what will happen to us in our old age. My college education is completely wasted because I'm not well enough to get a good job and make use of it.
  6. katiebug61

katiebug61 New Member

Boy can I identify with this one. Right now I have had to call and beg my Dr to give me some Lyrica samples because I can't afford to pick up my Rx. Lyrica is not a miracle cure, but it does help to keep the aches down quite a bit for me. I still have the tiredness and aching, but instead of being a 8 or 9 on the pain scale it is more like a 3-4. I have to work but there are days I hurt to bad to even get out of bed. I know my boss is not happy with me being out sick, but what other choices do we have on those kind of days. It is getting harder and harder to make those ends meet where they should. We have cut back so much I don't know what else to cut out except eating!
    Everything is going up, food, gas, meds, etc. There seems to be no end to it. We can't be without our meds or the remedies that make us feel even a little bit better, but what do you sacrifice???
  7. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I admire those of you that work full time jobs. I work part time - two jobs actually, but one of them is VERY part time. Although money is very very tight, I am so thankful for my flexible work schedule.
    I am also grateful that my job covers my health insurance -I sort of fit into a loophole, because I really shouldn't qualify as I work less than 30 hrs per week. Between all of my co-pays etc. I figured out that if I didn't have insurance my prescriptions would be over $1200.00 a month!

I bend over backwards, go above and beyond, make myself available to my boss anytime because I have such a great job. The only thing lacking is the darn money! Oh - just a minor detail. LOL I figured it out though, if I was to get another job, working 40 hrs a week, I probably would still make the same amount of money, maybe a tiny bit more - but would not have the flexibility and other advantages I have now.

As I mentioned I work another part time job. It has brought in great extra income - a couple of months, more than I've made at my regular job - only working about 6-10 hrs a month.
    Keep searching for something that works for you. Even before I was "ill" (hate that word), I vowed that I would do whatever I could not to work a 40 hr work week forcing me to miss time with my kids, special programs at school etc. Yes I juggled a couple of jobs at a time some years, but I also had some darn great jobs - great paying, great benefits etc.

Fibro throws another wrench into the mix - but it does NOT make it impossible.

That's my positive angel speaking this morning =)

I think I'm trying to do some 'positive self-talk' as I woke up feeling like crap this morning. =(
  8. GBHope

GBHope New Member

This has been really helpful. I didn't expect to get such a positive response, but I truly thank you for your input and support. I just have to decide what I'm going to do. Take care all!!!

9. smeyers

smeyers New Member

I've been very lucky though because I have a good job with decent insurance and sick/vacation time. I do pay a lot of money for meds and doctor visits. I get migraines, IBS, GERD, and pain from the fibro but the worst part is the fatigue. I've even fallen asleep at my desk. My biggest fear is that someone in management will find out and say I'm unable to do my job. I'm eight years away from retirement and can't afford to lose my pension.

I'm so tired some days I don't want to get out of bed, but I know I have to go to work because my co-workers are depending on me and my boss doesn't like it when I call in sick.
  10. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

I love my job so much and the money / insurance is great, especially with 2 growing girls and one going to college in the Fall.

However, this DD is getting so much worse I am not sure how much longer I can take this routine. My body is in constant pain and I am tired all of the time.

When I want to give up, I just think of my girls and tell myself i have to do this for them.

Good Luck
  11. dekese

dekese New Member

I work 40 hours a week and its killing me right now. I just know that I have to work or our ends won't meet. Today after a 4 hour meeting though I feel like I went to a wrestling match.
    I so want to quit but I am the one with the job with benefits.
    Plus I have a daughter getting married in December. Still trying to figure how we will pay for all of that.
    When I started working was 5 years ago, my hubby told me then that I would only have to work 2 years.
  12. lmn

lmn New Member

but because my former husband walked out on me and our 2 children I am looking for full time work. I've managed to hold it together for 4 years now working part time but as many of you have said, rising prices are forcing me to consider full time. I'm a nervous wreck; worried that I won't be able to make it work between the pain and the fatigue.......I too wish I was normal.
  13. mindyandy420

mindyandy420 New Member

I work full time M-F and so does my husband. We still dont make ends meet. I also work a very small part-time job cleaning and STILL don't make it. With 2 kids its hard. I also take courses online for school. I do hope it pays off in the end.

14. GBHope

GBHope New Member

It is scary trying to think of working full-time, but I guess we just have to try and stay positive and do whatever we can that will make it possible, eliminating all negative stressors as much as we can, LOL.

15. GBHope

GBHope New Member

My husband is doing the same thing, working towards an associate's degrees, trying to help in the long-run. I do feel for him, as well as yourself, that it will in the long-run. You have to look at the bigger picture I tell myself because if he needs to get another job for some reason, having that degree is definitely going to help. Any kind of educational classes help you move forward. About 10 or 11 years ago, he went to a college and took a certificate class for 6 months and it got him into the job his in now, and he has done quite well actually, so yes, it definitely will help in the long-run. Take care!!!

16. kriket

kriket New Member

I work trying to keep up with the bills and put food on the table. I am sick of running in circles only hurting myself more.

17. keke466

keke466 New Member

I'm single and having a heck of a time right now. I went to work at our small rural hospital,worked at the nursing homes for 20yrs,and work as a CNA on night shift. Before I left the home I had cut back to only working 3 days at a time but not helping so when I went to the hospital I thought I could do FT since it was easier work and after working there 4 months I went back to PT and sometimes it averages only 3 days a week which has left me nearly broke. They do offer ins there,never had it before,but not to people working PT so I'm back to not having any. I'm beside myself right now and don't know where to turn,never been in this situation before. I'm in foreclosure on my home where I've lived 8yrs and thought I'd never have to move again. I can't find a place to live and don't even have the money to move on and don't know how long I have left here. I finally went to DHS Tu and applied for LIHEAP for assistance in paying the electric bill this time. We have a community action place here with very little funds and they offered to pay my water bill this month. I've been depressed all week over it.

I live in a small town of 3000 and we don't have many places to go for help. I've applied for housing but they want to put me in one that has no washer and dryer hookups and I'm not able to go to the laundry and have noone to do it for me. I explained this to them so they put me down as turning it down. I don't even know how I'm gonna pay the first months rent and deposit and transfer fees to move.

Anyone have any suggestions for me?
  18. keke466

keke466 New Member

Just thought I'd try it and see if anyone had any suggestions. Thanks.
  19. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

bumping for suggestions??

The only suggestion I would make is to keep searching for a part time position that allows some flexibility. I know it's not easy, but not impossible.

Very often companies don't want to hire "employees" when they need extra help because of the overhead. Sometimes they just need extra help - whether it be with mailings, billing, data entry, customer service calls, etc. Sometimes they just need help with special projects- very often things that can be done at home on your own time. Contact everyone you know - start networking. Start with your insurance agent, your hairdresser, realtors, your'd be amazed at how quickly word can spread. I "put the word" out a few years ago when I was in between jobs, I got a lot of response - of course, I was offered a position in the meantime, but many people really wanted extra help in their office, some to work out of my home, some not. Literally while my husband and I would walk in the evenings, I'd mention what I was looking for to all of my neighbors.

I know I can't post websites, but there are some places that you can look up on the web. Work at Home Moms is one of them.

It absolutely STINKS when working full time still doesn't pay the bills! Then when you can't work full time because of our health, you can't pay the bills! - talk about adding that BAD BAD thing to our daily lives...STRESS!

20. GBHope

GBHope New Member

So sorry to hear that. I don't have any suggestions unfortunately, but I hope things get better for you.