How many are in wheel chairs and do you blame this DD for it?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jane_Canuck, May 7, 2006.

1. Jane_Canuck

Jane_Canuck New Member

Hiya

Feel like i am going mental.

I found out a month ago that I have very bad arthritis in my hips and lower lumbar spine.

My hips always wnat to go out and when they do I can not walk or straighten out or is that up? lol

Anyhow went shopping with hubby today and had to get a rolling cart from wal mart cause I knew I would never make it thru the store.

I had for a long time blamed this DD then my period but now since i know it is arthritis then I have to blame that.

I do not even feel like I can excersice to help get rid of some weight so that it helps my hips move easier.

Ready to give up and just say give me a damned chair. I haven't even been easily able to bend over to pick up things off the floor. Sometimes I leave soemthing there for days because I am mad cause I can not bend.

Anyhow how old were you when you got into a chair and what made you get into one in the first place.

Sorry for the rant lol!

TYVM Brenda
  2. sues1

sues1 New Member

I am curious..what type of a vehicle do you have for your scooter? What type of scooter?

Some stores I can not walk around in...really can not. Some I can. I use the stores scooters if they have them or some places I just do not shop! Grocery carts are heaven sent, they are my walker at times!

I was stubborn about not using the scooters, but one day as I got into the store......my legs just would not go any further! I out my pride a side and tried it. Wow, they are so easy to use and makes shopping fun again.

Do I blame this on my DD....for sure...no doubts at all.

Love and Blessings......Susan

I have tongs and so forth for getting things that fall behind the couch and such and also for getting something down that is up high. I no longer climb to get anything, it is not worth taking a chance and falling. I try and play it safe.

If I did not have this DD I would not feel this way, but my ankles and hands gives out to easily and I have fallen and dropped things many times.[This Message was Edited on 05/08/2006]
  3. Jane_Canuck

Jane_Canuck New Member

Hey Wendy and Susan how old were you when you went into a chair?

At 31 is when I had to start with the chair in at WAl mart to help after surgery but then when I would fell my hips going out I would grab one then too.

Think I can count on both hands how many times I have used a chair while shopping. I am 33 now and thoughts of skipping the cane and going straight to the chair is a little daunting to me.

well just had a brain fart and can't think anymore lol just caught myself staring out the window so guess I have forgotten what else I was going to add to this lol....

The grabber thing I can not use lol we have 7 dogs and they have accidents lol so I have to bend over and do that by hand too ehehe but good idea for other things. I was trying to get my mental pic of me picking up their poopies off the floor with a grabber ROFLMAO...

ok nuff of that lol Brenda

4. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

you can buy metal pooper scoopers on a handle. you place a bag on it then stick the bootom lip of the tray under the poo then pull the handle and its all enclosed then tip it in the bin.
  5. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

I've used a wheelchair when out for 15 years, & yes I blame the FMS/CFS for it.
  6. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

as I cannot walk very far.I use my picker up thing as I haven't been able to bend for quite a while.

I use me wheelchair to roam around shops at thr Harbor.To visit the mall.I use the ones at the grocery store because I can concentrate on what I want to buy instead of my pain.Linda
  7. Shelbyeatenton

Shelbyeatenton New Member

Hi Brenda,

I have used a wheelchair sice october last year. As you can see from my title i blame the DD. I have FM. (my profile is filled out) I have to blame the FM because there is no other reason! i am in so much pain i can't hardly stand let alone walk! I am 24 and gave up a life as a dancer to live a life with a pain riddled body feeling like i'm 104..... 80 years too early.

Okay.... POSITIVITY.... the wheelchair, now i am accepting that i am still me and not "the chair", has changed my life. I can go out (sparingly) and sit with friends and family.

I have just bought a powerchair that will give me even more independance meaning i can go down to the beach and gaze out to the sea.

The illness is a cruel beast. Let yourself have the things that make it easier. Don't let yourself suffer accept some help if you can, ask someone else to pick up whatever you are bending down to get. Believe me i know how hard asking for help is sometime, but the 10 minutes after will be less painful, eh?

Shelby
    xxxx
  8. kholmes

kholmes New Member

It's still hard for me to get used to the fact that while that just several years ago, I was climbing mountains in Colorado, I now need a wheelchair in public.

When I attempt to walk more than about forty feet, all of my symptoms worsen: hypotension, wooziness, headaches, insomnia. I can walk around the house a bit, but I definitely need a wheelchair to go to any stores, or to the doctor, or anywhere outside.

I was extremely embarassed about it at first, but I'm gradually getting used to people's stares. My wife took me to the library yesterday, and I actually enjoyed it, and didn't mind people looking at me. Kids tend to stare, but adults mostly look out of curiosity.

So if the wheelchair helps me get outside or to places I enjoy, so be it!

Kholmes
  9. Jane_Canuck

Jane_Canuck New Member

Hi all what a great response!

I have decided if I need a damned chair then screw others I am using it!

OMG guess what hubby said! I nearly fell off the chair at bingo! He said he would rahter me use the chair at wal mart shopping then to see these people that are so obese that he knows they are only using it because they are to fat to walk and have nothing else wrong with them!

We know several of these people and his late wife was one of them they are so fat and never want to improve themselves and so let go and then use every crutch to their advantage to make others feel sorry for them because they are at fault for letting themselves go.

He feels that I honestly need it at times and said he would rather me use it and still have some what of a life when we get home later on then me being in bed sleeping cause i could not handle it.

I will respond to what you all wrote later I just forgot everything I read lol sorry took meds and ready for bed but wanted to bump and thank everyone for responding!

PS I love the library too but ours is small enough I can do it ok. I use the on line catalouge all the tim ewhich cuts down on run around time at the library.

TTFN Brenda
  10. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

I have an electric scooter. Mine is nearly ten years old and on its' last legs.

It is very heavy, unlike the newer ones and difficult to maneuver. I wanted another one, but my husband's insurance said they only pay for electric wheelchairs. Well, at the time, and periodically, my sciatica and back, and hips, knees, etc. are so bad that I simply cannot get up and down, and must be in a wheelchair where I can reach the sink, etc.

My rheumatologist and my neurologist wrote the script and the insurance company bought the electric wheelchair, which is quite large because of my weight, and I used it, and still do, inside occasionally, but use the scooter, since I have a lift for it in my van.

The wheelchair cost $6,500 and a new scooter would have cost $2,000. Insurance companies are so stupid.

There are new scooters out, now, which weigh much less, and run as low as $800 at the scooter store. They also come apart much easier than does mine. Some even fold up now.

I have seen them take some of these apart, where the heaviest part weighs around 20 pounds.

I suggest that if your insurance or Medicare is not going to pay for it, and Medicare will pay for one as long as you are not in Texas, there is a story behind that, of you have a bad back, knees, hips, or combo and a doctor writes the script, then check the want ads.

In most cities, people are always trying to sell used medical equipment including the scooters and wheelchairs.