How many are men?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jack3, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Jack3

Jack3 New Member

I have the misfortune of being a male. Doctors have been misdiagnosing me for 20 years thinking that a serious neck injury was the cause. (I think that set it all off)

I have every single symptom except
    painful menses
    the trigger points.

I am so frustrated. I figured out myself that I have this. (Before I got disabled I was a Paramedic) Now I am trying to convince my doctor that this is the primary cause of my "angina", IBS, Nausea, dizziness, pain and all the other stuff. My doctor is coming around, his latest treatment plans are to work on my sleeping.

Cant do anything for the pain as I am allergic to all the narcotics, can't take NSAIDS, have no meds I really can take to decrease the pain.....well prescription meds. ;)

They have had me on all sorts of medicines, that in the last 6 months, I have been able to stop taking many of them because I was misdiagnosed. That helped some to get rid of the side effects of them

So, Males pipe up. Do you find it is more difficult to get the doc to listen? How difficult do you find it to not be a functional "strong" male?
  2. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

And welcome, Jack3!
    Mini
  3. Jack3

Jack3 New Member

Thanks, feeling pretty alone today. Been battling with bad depression for 2 weeks now. Now no sleep x 5 days. Doc just will not give me the label, treats me "as if you have fibro."

I have been labeled a drug abuser, alcoholic, hypochondriac, etc. Four vertabra have been fused in my neck, I have 3 more bulging disks. Can't take anything for pain, but must admit the fibro pain usually is not as bad as a pinched nerve root, sometimes....at least there are breaks with fibro.

Funny, I feel like all the posts I have read here. I have to find a support system. Rambling, not doing well today.
  4. lrgatplay

lrgatplay New Member

Definitely not alone. Just outnumbered.
    My son Jordan is 15. It's early in his illness, but we're still having trouble getting treatment for him.

My doc wants to send him to a neuro psych.
    He still tends to want to believe that he has school avoidance issues. Asking repeatedly if he's been bullied or depressed.
    NO & NO

Hang in there.
    Lisa
  5. grace54

grace54 New Member

I have had fibro/fatigue, degenerative disc disease, stenosis, hashimottos for about 7 years. My GP has always listened to me with respect though he didn't know much about fibro. I discovered it by research and a Rheumatologist confinmerd it.

This illness really humbles one as you know it changes your entire life. One needs to find meaning in other things and do what we can with what we have.WE can be strong in other ways. It must be difficult with no pain meds. I take tramadol as needed, my worst pain is the DD in lumbar area. I use a handheld massager in that area as it seems to mask the pain and puts me to sleep. There are some supplements that help also. So you are not alone my friend and good to see you here.Hope we all get better.
  6. Wolverine

Wolverine Member

..i'm a man. Well, last time I checked anyway ^_^

heh.

Yeah this disease often affects women more than men unfortunately.

yes it is VERY hard not being able to be a 'strong functional male'. I mean i have a gorgeous girl and all, but i wish i could be more 'man' for her, you know? thats the extremely frustrating part. Not being strong like that.

Thing is, anyone that has never experienced this or other types of chronic illness, will often look down on men that dont 'work hard and earn lots of money'. I %&*$)ing HATE IT!! Its so hard already living like this, then having people, especially close women, or friends of family etc looking at you sideways as if you're simply a lazy ass good for nothing man. When really, you are actually trying your hardest to do well!

What is a very good accomplishment for me, is often hardly anything in the eyes of others, especially if the're not understanding. If i cook a meal for everyone, then do all the dishes, that is HUGE for me. But its totally normal for others, not that big an effort, you know?

Yes, it can be very frustrating trying to live in the eyes of the 'normal world.'
  7. paulmack

paulmack New Member

welcome to the board.I'd agree with on the doctor thing,I don't think mine actually acknowledges that Fibro exists,although over the years he's been quite happy to prescribe many painkillers,anti-d's,etc,all of which haven't really helped.
    I've also tried many treatments off my own back over the years & again with very limited success.
    I'm currently trying out a few natural supplements from my local health shop but too early really to say what effect this will have on the Fibro.
    Yeh,it's quite difficult to be a functional "strong" male with this Fibro,but I'll always keep trying to find something that can give me relief.Let's hope they can find a treatment that can be truly helpful to all of us with Fibro/CFS,& soon.
    Good luck,
    Regards,Paul.
  8. padre

padre New Member

I'm a card carrying male. I have been lucky because my doctors have not limited me because of gender. But it is bondersome to me that everything I feel is "primarily a disease of women." Not that I do not like women, it is that I would make a pretty ugly one.

I felt like you do until I decided that "primarily" made it okay to demand more. So I do.
  9. Jack3

Jack3 New Member

LOL. Made me smile, all of you.

Maybe I am approaching from the wrong way. The Rheumatologist used "Chronic Pain Syndrome/Fibromyalgia", my PCP will not verbally accept/convey this to me.

Yet he is treating me "as if" I have fibro.

I am researching for a "fibro friendly" in my area now.

And someone will say, "What difference does the label make?" My insurance doesn't cover TMJ or major dental. I have 1/4 of my normal tooth length left, no enamel, bone on bone TMJ, no funds to get it fixed.

But...if I get the label, then the insurance co may have to cover it as a secondary to the fibro.

Part of me is really angry because I can't take anything for the pain. Nobody's fault. But we all know the pills just dull the mind to the pain, they don't ever take it away. That is why I don't have any teeth left.

Docs think they are so high and mighty.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/09/2007]
  10. willruthie1965

willruthie1965 New Member

My hubby has this he has been sick for 5 yrs.No one at first believed him. Now I truly believe him because it' is happening to me. My huuby was 36 when he got sick Ruthie
  11. wrthster

wrthster New Member

I am a man as well, I do not have trouble getting the docs to listen, but it bothers me everyday that I am not a functional strong male. I feel sometimes I have been stripped of every ounce of dignity and pride. So I really know where you are coming from. Hang in there!
  12. GigglePoet

GigglePoet New Member

Hi jack,
    Hang in there fella..count me as your friend. I suffer major depression and am getting a bit of relief coming on. I am on max doses of three different anti depressants. I Wellbutern,Buspar,and Cymbalta also Armour thyroid and some other stuff. Have you taken Zyrtec at all? Also..really look at your enviroment to see what toxins you are taking in where you are living, are you on new bed? sheets? I have EI and MCS..as well as Candidasis,EBV,HHV6 and Fybro..give me a shout if you want..I am at Aol..

Hugzzzzzzzzz Dee
  13. suzetal

suzetal New Member

BBBBBBBBBUmp
  14. Clay2

Clay2 New Member

I don't know that my doc would do any better if I were female, so I'll be shopping around soon for another one.

I have CFS, not fibro. I also have lymphocytic colitis and chronic pelvic pain syndrome. I can take vicodin, thank god, but not NSAIDs. I'm about to start experimenting with Wobenzy for inflammatory pain.

I didn't get this until I was 62, so I don't feel quite the social pressure or financial pressure. I'd sure like my intimacy back with my wife, though. And the last few years of my career, and my health, and to be pain free just for a day....