How Many are Unable to Exercise?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Feb 27, 2006.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

I have CFS and waiting to see another rheumy to maybe after 5 years get a definite dx.

I try to do my housework, not like I use to and prepare a few meals..On good days I may go out and do a few errands..I still don't travel..

I have read how important excerise is and I know that is true but when I try only 10 minutes I am in bed the next day from fatigue and leg pain..

So for me my excerise is my housework and my errands that I can do when I feel up to it..This too, at times puts me to bed..

My pain is not in the joints but in my bones and I guess muscles..Mainly my legs is where I hurt the worse..I can just feel my bones ache in my legs...

Can anyone relate and does this sound like CFS...

Thanks,
    greatgran
  2. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

I always say "exercise is against my religion"!!

My doctor, bless her heart, tells me every time I go to see her that I need to be exercising, and it will make the pain better. NO IT WON'T!!

I joined a gym several years ago. I went faithfully at least 3 nights a week. I walked on that darn treadmill every time I went, and all it did was make me worse and worse. I would cut back, still have pain, I would increase, stil had pain.

I ordered an exercise tape where the exercises were a form of walking ( in your living room ). I couldn't do it either.

There are just some people that cannot exercise no matter what the TV, books, and our doctors tell us.

Kinsie
  3. suzetal

suzetal New Member

And I can not excersise.....Nor do I drive anymore........Nore do any house work or cooking...

With FM for me my pain makes me tired I'm exhausted all the time from the FM PAIN......

Sue
  4. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I have a horse!! Or the energy to "dance" every 6 months or so.

Those two, because they were my fav hobbies since a kid don't give me unbearable pain.

Even stretching or walking puts me down.

Yes the Docs think they know best when it comes to exercise. I learned to ignore them years ago when they come up with their "box" of goodies!!

LIGHT************carole
  5. pepper

pepper New Member

That is all the exercise I get many days. There have been many months when that is about all I do. Housework is out of the question. If we can't afford anything else, we find the money to pay someone to clean our house!

I am able to cook some simple meals a few times a week. It depends on what kind of day/week I am having. Some weeks I cook several times, other weeks not at all.

On good days I can do errands. On exceptionally good days, I can go for a walk.

I even had several days lately when I was able to go for a long walk (20-25 min.) but I haven't done that in 13 yrs! And my ability to do that has disappeared in the last week. Sigh!

My legs hurt the worst too most of the time. CindyLou explained why that is very well. My lower back is also a big problem but it is the exhaustion that gets me most of the time.

Pepper
  6. Jgavi

Jgavi New Member

I AGREE IT SEEMS TO BE MORE PAINFUL AND NOT HELPING WHEN WE DO ANY FORM OF EXERCISE BUT IT DOES HELP-
    YOU HAVE TO KEEP THE BLOOD MOVING, GET OXYGEN IN THOSE MUSCLES!

PAINFUL!? YES, 99 PERCENT OF THE TIME!

YOU HAVE TO FIND WHAT WORKS FOR YOU- -BALANCE- SOME OF US SWIM,I WALK WHEN I CAN BUT WHEN I OVER DO IT - I AM A GONNER! I HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT HORRIBLE EXERCISE PAIN FLARE UPS THIS LAST YEAR- I CANT WALK AS FAR AS I USE TO...SO THE DR TOLD ME YESTERDAY TO ONLY DO 15 MINS A DAY, 5 DAYS A WEEK....

AS I AGE IT GETS HARDER-

7. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

Doc says no. I love to walk for exercise and would like to work it back in but for now I just can't. It aggrivates my rls (not during but later that night) and my feet are in so much pain right now that I just don't tollerate it well anyway. I think by this summer I will be able to start some water and stretching exercises. Being optimistic.

Sofi
  8. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

If I am feeling up to it, I do some stretching excercises my PT gave me for my lower back. I keep it to a minimum though. Just enough reps to strenthen my muscles but not enough to make me tired. Then ice if I am in pain.
    Marcia
  9. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I get post exertional malaise - the pain and fatigue follows anything I do, even walking, it can come at the time, the next day or even the following but I always 'pay a price' for whatever I do.

Yes this is what CFS does.

love
    Rosie
  10. jacampbell

jacampbell New Member

It is very frustrating because I have always enjoyed it in the past. I just ordered a yoga tape and I am going to try to start slow.

I have heard water exercises are good too.

:)
  11. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I do tighten my stomach when I remember.Linda
  12. tngirl

tngirl New Member

I started a year ago and could only do 5-10 minutes at a time depending on how I was that day. If you had asked me a year ago I would have said I couldn't exercise. Gradually my endurance increased.

I walk, do water exercise in the summer and have started Curves. Curves about killed me! I can only do Curves 3 times a week. I do stretching exercises.

When I overdo it, I literally cannot move. Can't drive, can't concentrate or usually even read.

It is hard to find the right type of exercise. Some days I can't do as much as others.
  13. Denamay

Denamay New Member

I exercise almost daily.

I have slowly built up from just a few min. walking to 30 mins. on the treadmill [hills] plus some weights and stuff.

My muscles are getting quite strong.But, I still hurt as much as ever, but I seem to be able live above it better and have a more energy than before.

In other words I hurt if I do and hurt if I do'nt, so I do.

I don't think exercise is good for someone with chronic fatigue.

I am 66 years old and am in constant pain, there have been times when I could not exercise at all and I realize it might happen again, but for now I am on a roll.

We have had an unusually warm winter and I think that has helped me a lot.

But now that spring is almost here it has decided to turn colder and snow and I don't feel like doing much today.

Take care all, we all just do what we can when we can.Love Denamay
  14. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I used to do aerobics (low impact) 2 x a week, then step 2 x a week, plus weight training 3 x a week here at home with tapes. I had to quit in 1996, because it was making me hurt so much worse.

I have since tried other things like a treadmill and was in agony after 4 minutes. I have tried an exercise bike, walking (I get pain in my back quickly).

It's not that I don't want to exercise. I did it a lot prior to all of this and now have gained around 70 pounds because I can't anymore.

Anything I do with my legs goes up my back and puts me in a bad flare. I have tried countless times. I have FMS, BTW.

Hugs,
    Faye
    Good to see you Greatgran... :)
  15. granny1353

granny1353 New Member

walking is so hard, cleaning the house is also a chore. I do try to keep up with the kitchen and bath.

This is so depressing, I used to fly throught the entire house, cook, do errands, was windows in and out, etc. and not I feel like a worn our useless old lady. whine whine whine!!

Ouch, you made me laugh and cry, it is so true.

Granny
  16. patches25

patches25 New Member

Once I told the doctor "I can exercise or clean my house, I can't do both". Personally I would rather use what energy I have to try to keep my house clean---which is getting harder and harder as the years roll by.

Some of us may have a certain mitochondrial condition and we shouldn't exercise much. If exercise makes you sick, I don't think you should be doing it.

I bet most of us get more exercise than normal people just walking to the bathroom. Um--wonder how many miles I put on each day just doing that? E.
  17. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thanks to each of you..You have helped so much..When doctors and family tell you to do somethng it will make you feel better I want to scream but then I get to thinking well maybe they are right..Sucks don't know why I listen when my body tells me I can't..

My weight is also an issue, I think maybe if I wasn't so fat I wouldn't feel so bad and could do more..

So, I am with Ouch, I think I so her excerise program very well...

It is getting to the point that I am going to have to get some help with my housework I just can't do it like I use to..Just hit the high spots is about all I can do..Then having to look at what needs to be done and can't do is getting to me..

I would like to sell and get us a small apartment but husband won't hear of it..

Yesterday and today have been bad days and I have been sitting looking at this house and want to scream, so much to do and no energy to do..

Granny, I am with you...

Love and Prayers to each of you, you gave me a laugh and made me feel not so alone...Wouldn't it be great if our families and I was going to say freinds but don't have them anymore could just understand...

greatgran
  18. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

I have tried it and it hurts too much during and after.

The worst pain comes the next few days.

Pamela
  19. Bambi

Bambi New Member

severe chronic Asthma, degenerating
    discs with bone spurs BUT..if I DIDN'T exercise I'd freeze up like a
    frozen ham!! I have to wait an hour after I get up in my recliner for my meds to kick in and then I pace doing things for my pets, maybe some laundry etc..and once I'm moving ok
    and feeling better I exercise for 10
    minutes and do it 3 to 5 times a day.
    I dance with my Chihuahuas or do gentle regular exercises or take a fairly brief walk or a combo. I always feel better after so long as I don't overdo at any one time.

I don't do it on flare times, or not as much and get LOTS of time in the
    recliner with linament and warm/hot
    epsom salts and peroxide baths, heating pad then ice back and forth,
    watch tv or listen to music until the
    flare passes. I just wouldn't dare do it for more than a couple of days though or I'd be back where I was a
    few years ago. Will NOT go there if I
    can help it!

If you can't you can't and noone should tell you you MUST. I would never do that, but maybe if you started really really slowly and for
    very very brief periods of time. I hope you get better soon! Bambi
  20. Hope2Bwell

Hope2Bwell New Member

Dear Greatgran,

Hi! I have had CFS for seven years. I absolutely cannot exercise right now. I have a 18 month old boy and had to quit exercising at about 4-5 months into my pregnancy.

Although, I did exercise on those NU-Way toning tables for about a year and a half. These are the toning tables which move your body "for you." I started out going 5 minutes , then 7 minutes, etc,, Then, built myself up to one hour.

Now, there were some days that I missed. Some days I felt awful and went only to feel a liitle more energized when I left. I went with a friend, and that helped. I lost inches and a little bit of weight. But, I definitely could fit into smaller clothes and felt better about myself.

I SO WANT to go back, but don't think I can do it right now.I'm going through a difficult stage right now, and don't have the energy to take care of my little guy half the time. So, it just doesn't look like an option to me.

If you can find someone with those tables, it might be worth a try. Nothing else has worked for me....not with this illness.

Take Care,
    Angie