How many are using computer dial-up service which is s-l-o-w?????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Jan 4, 2006.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

The only internet service that I have in my rural area is a dial-up service which is sooooooooo SLOW!!!!!

I use the Wal-Mart Connect software for $9.95/month.

It is cost effective, but I get so upset at its slowness and waiting for posts to come up, etc., that I can't stand it!!!

I have called and called our phone carrier to see when they are going to upgrade our lines so that we can get DSL in this area, but they keep saying that they are working on it.

I have also priced getting high speed internet through our DirecTV satellite company, but the cost is outrageous.

Just to go through 2 pages of posts, reading only select ones, and replying to them can take me sometimes 4-5 hours on the computer!

This amount of time is back breaking, especially to me since I already have numerous back problems! It also kills my neck, shoulders, arms, wrists and hands reading and typing!!

Does anyone else battle the S-L-O-W internet services?

Real bummer, huh! :(

Janet
  2. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

I can't wait until we have DSL. The funny thing is that if we lived 1 mile closer to town we could have it. The phone company said the cut off is 5 miles and we are 6.

Kelly
  3. dunnlb

dunnlb New Member

Put your cursor down over the 2 little computers in lower righthand side of your screen. Doubleclick the 2 computers. Mine runs at about 52000 bps. What does yours read? My dialup seems to be pretty fast at that speed.

You might have too much running at startup. Do you know how to clear that out? If you don't, write back and I will try to help.
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

it runs at 56 too...

I'm paying $3 extra for 'speed-up' on dial-up. I GUESS it seems a bit faster than my old ISP?

But hard to say... altho once a month I get a pop up box that tells me I 'saved' about 15-20 hours month by using the speed-up service.... HARD TO SAY!

Victoria
  5. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

yes, I have it too, and tonight it is running VERY slow! We only have windows 98 SE too, which doesn't help. Ours is running at 36000bps. Is that really slow? Maybe we have too many things running at start up. What do you do about that? The only way we can get high speed is thru wireless, and that is too exspensive. We plan on moving to town in 2 yrs, I guess I will have to be patient for that. I am grateful I have this at least!
    Raz
  6. dunnlb

dunnlb New Member

36000 is pretty slow but might be caused by older phone lines. I have a fairly new house with new wiring.

To keep so many things from running when you start your computer, just go to Start, then Run, type msconfig and OK. Dot in Selective Startup and go to top and click Startup. Uncheck what you think you don't need to be running. Don't worry about doing something wrong, you can follow the same steps and undo everything you do.

You can check to see what is running by pushing Ctl, Alt and delete at the same time.
  7. JLH

JLH New Member

I don't have 2 little computers in lower righthand side of my screen. My SIL set up my new computer when I got it because I don't know what anything means.

What do you mean that I might have too much running at startup? Too many other programs, or what? If so, I don't normally have anything else like Word or Excel running.

And, No, I don't know how to clear that out?

I looked around at stuff and found this info ... is it anything that means anything to you?

* Session Speed: 26,400 bps

* Modem: highest speed

* Current Cache: I keep it cleared out weekly

* Dialup: V90/K56

What the slowest is not the dialup when I first try to get on the internet, on this site, it is the individual posts that I call up to read, etc. Each step from reading it, to replying, to hitting "Back" and waiting for it to get back .... all that stuff is sooooooo slow. I get so tired of waiting for it all the time.

I also live out in the country. I guess I am lucky to just get what I have.

I did buy a new computer which is tons bigger than my old one with was 6 years old, but it didn't really help my overall speed, it just gave me more memory.

If you know anything that can help me ... thanks.

Janet
  8. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

house is only 3 yrs old, so its not the wiring! Thanks for the info.
  9. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

I have had dial up since 1999.It was so slow.I woudl have to wait 3-5 mins. for a web page to load.UGH! I finally switched over to DSL last week. I am just hoping I can afford it.
  10. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

i was waiting forever for pages to load,ugh.

have first bill coming this month so i will tell you then if im still happy :)
  11. Sbilek

Sbilek New Member

jlh, not sure is this is your computer's problem or not, but was the case with mine.

Mine was working slow till I upgraded to the newer 9.0 version of AOL, and they do automatic upgrades on you. It got to the point where my computer wouldn't even work. Mind you, I had an old computer, 98 windows. Well, turns out, the new version and automatic upgrades used up all the megabytes on my computer.

I was forced to get a new computer as when I checked into getting another provider of internet service, I was told the same thing would happen.

So that was my husband's and my birthday and Christmas present to each other, got a DELL laptop for $399. We absolutely love it. It works extremely fast. I was going to consider getting the high speed line, but no need to as with the newer computer and more megabytes and whatever else that makes the new computers run, it works really, really fast.

I know this was the problem as since have deleted the 9.0 version off the old computer and it's working just like it was pre-installation of the 9.0 version of AOL.

Sbilek
  12. lease79

lease79 New Member

Another one here on Dial-up. Mine runs between 36 & 56Kbps
  13. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

It is all I can afford. I am connected at 56K. When I download something, I watch the download manager and see the that the actual download speed declines as the download progesses. Within 30 seconds it will be down to 5 K.

I suspect the same slow-down occurs as pages load. I do stretching exercises while waiting for pages to load.
  14. roseylisa

roseylisa New Member

I to live in a rural area and can only get dial up, drives me crazy waiting ...
  15. Angie812

Angie812 New Member

I currently have dial-up but am ready to switch. Just can't decide between Bellsouth DSL and Clearwire. Anyone using Clearwire???
  16. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

We have fiber optic~ we are the test market for the US and it is 100x faster that DSL. It is incredible. Haven't lost an e-bay auction yet!!
  17. dunnlb

dunnlb New Member

Go to [edited as per rules] for a free checkup on your computer. I use it all the time.

Click on the yellow key and follow directions. I just test anonymously.

At the end, if you see yellow or red flags, click on them. It will tell you what is wrong and can even autocorrect some things.
    [<i>This Message was Edited on 01/06/2006</i>]
  18. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

be very careful of sites like that. They tag little "buddies" on to you to follow your every move. I've done that and had to get my puter fixed. Never doing that again!