How many are working FT ??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by susabar, Oct 7, 2005.

1. susabar

susabar New Member

I need some encouragement. How many are able to maintain a full time job ? I feel like my ability is slowly slipping away. Pretty much everything is suffering, it's just me and my 12 year daughter. She really pitches in allot and without being told. ( except for her dang bedroom )I will be 51 tomorrow.
    I also love my work
    Thanks Sue
  2. nanabbb

nanabbb New Member

Happy Birthday Sue,

I work full time. I am 60. I have grandchildren with me but I get plenty of rest. House is not spic and span but I don't care. The boys sure don't care.

I wish I could say I love my work. I do know I am probably better off having a job to go to since I feel worse when I am inactive.

Take care of yourself

Nana
  3. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

and a prayer for you.I've worked full time and been sick.It's not fun!
  4. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

Happy Birthday Dear Sue!

You are such a young thing. I turned 52 in July! Your daughter sounds like a gem.

I think I work more hours than full time, but I do it from home, so it's hard to tell. I have an internet store.

My house looks only slightly worse than those that were condemned after Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans' Lower 9th Ward. One day a crazy realtor showed up here with some people looking for a house in this neighborhood. She wanted to know if they could look around. I am shameless at this point and said yes. She asked me if they should take their shoes off. I said, no, they should put boots on.

I know I couldn't work a regular job anymore, unless I was a mattress tester or something. I admire you for staying with it. I can work for maybe an hour, then need to rest. Plus, I fall asleep without warning, so commuting would be a problem.

It's hard to believe what I was able to do two years ago. Things that are impossible today.

Eat lots of cake! Best wishes!

Francie
  5. DLsGroovyMoM

DLsGroovyMoM New Member

First off HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!

nOT REAL sure I can give encouragement but i still work f/t
    and I think it is killing me...I too love my job...well sorta, I have always wanted and don't know how to do anything but be a nurse. Sometimes the fog gets to me though and I worry I am putting my patient in danger...I try not to think that way b/c usually at work the fog just makes me forget things like plugging up his wheelchair, although I have forgotten meds and had to go back and give them or forgotten to chart something and had ot do it the next day or somehting...good thing I am doing private duty and no one knows...and his mom is always here if I get into trouble. the fog is usually bad when I leave in the mornings and while I am here I don't have much to do excpt play on the internet so, in my heart I know I am ok but...physically not so much. Hubby is begging me to quit but we just can't afford it...I'm learning to make adjustments to make things some easier but like you everything eles suffers so I can work...the house, yuk my neat freak personality is having a hard time with that...miss out doing things with hubby and son so I can sleep extra, this is the worse of all!

sorry you are having to do it own your own...means you are very strong!!!

Hugs
    Amy
  6. Casamadre5

Casamadre5 Member

I work full time....one day at a time. just do the "have to's" & try not to worry about the rest...it's not going anywhere! I'm 56.
  7. Megumi

Megumi New Member

HAPPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

I will be 55 in December. I am also divorced with kids grown and on their own which means - just me, myself and I to support myself. I have also gone long stretches without med insurance so have no real track record with doctors to apply for disability or ssi. In other words I am stuck with having to support myself.

The solution I came up with a few years ago after a really bad bout where I couldn't work and had to live with my daughter for while was two-fold. One - I went into doing temp office work, taking short assignments and then breaks inbetween them to 'catch-up' with myself. Two - and possibly the best self-advice I ever followed - I downsized my life to where I could afford to save up while working to afford to take the breaks inbetween assignments.

The first step in downsizing was to reduce my stuff down to my Geo car size. Everything I owned could fit into my Geo Metro - in other words, not much - clothes, books, a few personal odds and ends. The first few years I rented a room in other's houses. This reduced my rent and utility expenses tremendously as well as took care of having to have things like dishes, pots and pans, etc. I did this for 4 years.

Three years ago I accepted a long-term temp position (18 months) which paid twice what I normally made. I wasn't sure if I'd last out the entire time but I managed to rent myself a 1 bedroom apt and that spurred me on and only had to take a 2 week break during that time when I got pnemonia. It still wasn't easy. Towards the end of the 18 months I definitly felt I was living to work to support myself with no energy left for living, was questioning whether having my own place was really worth it.

I have since taken in a roommate - another desperate older single woman - to help carry the load of rent and utilities. She has the bedroom, I have the living room. It's been working out wonderfully. However, I do sometimes miss having my own place so am now looking at ways of doing this for the same price I'm paying now. One possibility is living in a travel trailer. I know it sounds hokey but I've done it before while married (and with kids) and we were trying to transition to living on a sailboat (long story). I really truly enjoyed living in the small, easy to maintain, space!!!! (and so did the kids)

That appears to be the solution for me - inexpensive, small space, easy to maintain, working temp jobs where I can save up funds to take breaks. I know this isn't the solution for everyone but I hope it helps to give others ideas.

Good luck to you!!!!